Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cool story Omega

Posted On:
    8/25/2008 9:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Choy Li Fat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great story Omega! You prove to be really open-minded about your approach to Kung-Fu, wich is both rare and trully valuable!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 9:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    intresting story.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 1:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto Blutarsky View Post
    I can only speak for the limited discussion of animal names and such I've had experience with. Since I don't study monkey kung fu or badger shaolin (why didn't anyone ever name a move after a badger or wolverine?), It seems to me that the animal descriptions were simply used to help the student understand, remember and visualize the movements. whether people actually fought out of positions that might more closely resemble yoga, I havent' the slightest clue.

I would imagine people back in the days weren't rocket scientists and it had to be simple enough for the illiterate gardener to learn as well as effective for a professional soldier (who might also be illiterate) to use.

Kind of like you see animal and other "thing" names for guards in WMA, the hawk, crown, plough, etc. guards.

thats my opinion on it- I have limted experience with it because unless someone comes from outside to view or train in the class that has a background with animal names, we generally refer to it as something else.
    Omega has taken the correct to rightsville.
    I wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and I see STUPID looking back.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/15/2009 5:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto Blutarsky View Post
    I can only speak for the limited discussion of animal names and such I've had experience with. Since I don't study monkey kung fu or badger shaolin (why didn't anyone ever name a move after a badger or wolverine?), It seems to me that the animal descriptions were simply used to help the student understand, remember and visualize the movements. whether people actually fought out of positions that might more closely resemble yoga, I havent' the slightest clue.

I would imagine people back in the days weren't rocket scientists and it had to be simple enough for the illiterate gardener to learn as well as effective for a professional soldier (who might also be illiterate) to use.

Kind of like you see animal and other "thing" names for guards in WMA, the hawk, crown, plough, etc. guards.

thats my opinion on it- I have limted experience with it because unless someone comes from outside to view or train in the class that has a background with animal names, we generally refer to it as something else.
    im not an expert but untill now ive always heard that they are animal styles because of where they come from (no doubt youve heard the story). Thanks for updating my martial arts knowledge.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 5:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, great story. One could make a film with it.

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 5:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkfg View Post
    Wow, great story. One could make a film with it.
    Stop necroing threads to post worthless comments that contribute nothing of either substance or worth.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2009 4:12pm

Style: muay thai + sanshou + box

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just an fyi (cuz I'm a dweeb)

ng cho (ngor chor, ngo cho) = 5 ancestors fist, named for the legend of the 5 survivors of the burning of the southern shaolin temple. very close to fukien white crane, southern taizuquan, and okinawan karate

i believe your style is:
    ng ga kuen (ng gar kuen) = 5 families fist. named after the big 5 families in southern kung fu: hung, choy, li, mok, fut. made famous in the states by Ark Y Wong.

your approach sounds a bit like my experience & some of my friends, but on a larger, professional scale.

good buddy of mine was a hung gar guy who went catch wrestling & eventually bjj, with a bit of boxing & muay thai to supplement standup. still wishes he could do sambo.

me, i bounced around a bit in a ton of different tcma schools before going sanshou, boxing, and muay thai. still don't really want to give up on the traditional stuff; but never learned enough to feel competent at any one of the traditional styles. i also tend fit in a bit better at the fight sport gyms, so somewhat uneasy about going back to a "traditional" environment.

like the other poster said, i think training with you would be a blast.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 5:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA and Muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, great read. Thanks Omega

Posted On:
    10/22/2009 5:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu