Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2012 11:27pm

Style: Mixed MA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks to Omega Supreme and It is Fake in enlightening me. I guess that is the reason my Muay Thai coach pick on my stance which I had learned from my CMA and TKD days. The side kick was the only weapon I am able to use in competition nowadays.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/02/2012 11:53pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shogunism View Post
    Thanks to Omega Supreme and It is Fake in enlightening me. I guess that is the reason my Muay Thai coach pick on my stance which I had learned from my CMA and TKD days. The side kick was the only weapon I am able to use in competition nowadays.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/03/2012 12:09am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. The first one I know, the second one is an interesting variation. I like.

:)

Posted On:
    1/03/2012 1:33am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    That check/catch/throw was the sweetness.

EDIT: I think you might have shown me the first one IIRC, at the first Boston TD, although thankfully you didn't do it to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2012 3:13am

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    That is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2012 3:30am

Style: Mixed MA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for sharing guys!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2012 3:56pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kung-fu to me was all about training with whoever would come along, like the Shaolin Temple. These ideas of only training one way under one sifu? Well my sifu was never like that I had many sihungs and each taught me something different.
    I just wanted to comment on your last paragraph, Omega, when you said that kung fu is about who you train with, and I definitely agree with that statement. You develop your own kung fu, since the term "kung fu" translates to "(skill achieved through) hard work." You can have kung fu from doing your forms and doing stance work and bridge work, etc, or you can do that along with having friends that did/do a lot of wrestling in high school and you work on a farm throwing hay bails all day. You get your own kung fu based on what you work hard to gain. You could even describe it as different flavors of the same dish, or as my sifu describes it, math. A lot of people like to do addition and subtraction "on steroids," but we want to throw you some vector calculus to figure out when we touch hands. I'm a small dude, easily the smallest guy in the adult class in my school, so when I train against the guy that's a good foot taller than I am, much faster and athletic than I am, AND 100lbs heavier, I need to have strategies against him that are different from when I fight the guy that's my height and 20lbs heavier.

I hope this made some sense, as I wanted to just reiterate that point you made, which I think is great. Thanks for sharing your biography. I may have missed this while reading, but what's your hung ga sifu's name?

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/04/2012 5:28pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to the advanced striking section and I'll be more than happy to address the issue.

For the record, when you use the term kung fu, as per your first part of your paragraph, that's pretty much how I see things too.

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 6:48am

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi all, great thread. I also started out with Kung Fu (the style was called Hung Kuen) and was based on 5 animals. I then moved onto many other styles 6 years later was fighting in the UFC. Now I have gone full circle back to my kung fu roots, and concentrate on the Chinese Internal Styles.
    you can check my fighting highlights on youtube

nick osipczak

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 8:46am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedspirit View Post
    Hi all, great thread. I also started out with Kung Fu (the style was called Hung Kuen) and was based on 5 animals. I then moved onto many other styles 6 years later was fighting in the UFC. Now I have gone full circle back to my kung fu roots, and concentrate on the Chinese Internal Styles.
    you can check my fighting highlights on youtube

nick osipczak
    we should get you a pro fighter tag, so people don't talk a bunch of **** to you. probably the best way is to PM a moderator once you have enough posts to do so, then they will tell you the best way to prove your identity and get you a tag.

it would be great if you could start a thread to talk about your approach to CMA now that you have had a pro fighting career. most of the CMA guys on here who have cross trained and fought full contact emphasize sparring and working with resisting opponents to really understand their techniques, even in the internal CMA styles, so it would be interesting to get your take on it.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15 LastLast