Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 11:05pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn_(Xiao en) View Post
    This is pretty much it. This is what I meant about traditional.
    I know it very well. Understand that if you dont have anyone in your school that fights you will eventually not be practicing a fighting style. If your teacher is the last fighter then it will die with him and if he never fought then its already dead.

Omega's coment is about the most powerful statement about the state of CMA:
    "No, when I did Kung-fu MMA technically didn't exist. I had no interest in fighting I was a kid. I just happened to be over 12 years when MMA/NHB rolled around. Why change my style? I don't see bjj changing their style. What I did is adapt my training and kept an open mind about things. Traditional should not mean stagnant. If your style is stagnant you style is dead. Simple enough."

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 11:09pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch View Post
    I know it very well. Understand that if you dont have anyone in your school that fights you will eventually not be practicing a fighting style. If your teacher is the last fighter then it will die with him and if he never fought then its already dead.
    If more chunners thought like this we wouldn't need threads about fixing the chun.

This applies to many many many styles of CMA.

There wouldn't be people posting in a thread trying to separate MMA from Kung fu.

Let's be truthful fighting in general is all the same. You either strike or grapple. The difference appears in how you learn how to fight.

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 11:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch View Post
    I think what he means by traditionalist is that you keep your kung fu to yourself, dont show outsiders, dont support other schools or styles.
    This phenomenon can exist alongside the casual mixing that leads people to master other styles or create their own after learning from several teachers.

The key word is you. Traditionally teachers don't tell all their students to keep their styles to themselves—they may have told you that. I've dabbled with a little cross-training and my teacher told me not to "teach" anyone in my other school anything. Not because it was secret or tradition, but because I suck and will teach it wrong and might make him look bad, or worse, the people I showed stuff too (poorly) might decide they know it and show others, etc etc.

Were I any good, rather than just committed and enthusiastic, the story would be very different.

Ditto crosstraining and "liking" other schools and styles. People do it all the time, and that is what inspires new styles, evolution of styles, tournaments, etc. However, there's also a lower stratum of martial tourist. You can go to one of the major parks in Beijing and study with a different person every day for a year. You won't learn anything and you'll annoy everyone, but you can do it. It's perfectly reasonable to tell some new student or aspirant to shut the hell up about what the master across the street says and to just practice. Once someone has shown some quality and some wu de—nothing that takes years or that depends on lineage or discipleship, just that you're not a numbnuts— then you get some more action.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2010 9:58pm

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. After reading through the OP I have to say I am very impressed. That's some serious martial arts talent and prowess there. I just have one question. With so many styles how the HELL did you find time for all that training?

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 10:04pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I consolidate.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 10:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    I consolidate.

What Omega means is that in sparring he will punch you with a boxing jab, kick you with a kung fu kick. throw you with a Judo throw and tap you with a sambo leg lock.

All in about 30 seconds

4 martial arts in 30 seconds

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 4:47am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    What Omega means is that in sparring he will punch you with a boxing jab, kick you with a kung fu kick. throw you with a Judo throw and tap you with a sambo leg lock.

All in about 30 seconds

4 martial arts in 30 seconds

That about sums it up. I just had a memorial for one of my kung-fu students. I really dusted off some of the old traditional stuff. We may put the video up on this thread. I think it'd be fun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 12:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you first began training did you find it difficult to cross train in so many other arts?

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 3:23pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Difficult? I guess, that was over two decades ago. I don't really remember I just did it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 6:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reason I ask is because I know a few people that have had difficulties either juggling multiple arts or find the teachings tough. In my school, one guy studied wing chun kung fu for 2 years before coming here.

Either his masters sucked or he never mastered the super tough art or doing roundhouse kicks.
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 ... LastLast