Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 4:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Questions for Bouncers, LEO and Security persons.

I've worked security for a number of years for concerts and arenas and other such events, which get fairly violent at times. I've also bounced for a period of time.

My question is this: How applicable do you find your current/previous training to your professional confrontations?

This question has been on my mind for a while. For me personally, I spent a lot of time in Japanesse JJ (not very traditional though), which was more designed for these kinds of confrontations. While training in that style, I also trained BJJ, some kick boxing and some JKD (It used to be an awesome school!).

Over the years I've noticed something interesting. While I believe the MMA style training is more useful in outright fights, I don't find myself in those situations very often. In comparison, I quite often end up in lower levels of confrontation, be it arguing, wrestling, dragging a person out against their will. I've yet to punch someone in my experiences, but I've used many wristlocks and other techniques from the traditional style.

How does everyone feel about the usefulness of what your learning in your professional experiences?

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 5:03pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was never a bouncer, but a lot of cops and security guys I have met used Aikido to a great degree, but you will hear how it is utterly useless on this forum.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 5:20pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be honest I have used JJJ more than most things - but a lot of that is due to hard training in an MMA style environment.

The problem is that most JJJ techniques are ineffective against a TRAINED attacker - namely MMA - but are great against the average idiot you get on the street who couldn't tell the difference between a writslock or a wristwatch.

It is nice to have my MMA style as a backup in casemy initial control attempts fail

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 8:44pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I worked concert security for a good period, and never got into any confrontations with anyone. This is true of lots of security people.

Posted On:
    2/03/2007 2:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never had to use more than a persuasive push in about 8 years of security work. I've done concerts, strikes, bounced, and graveyard patrols in crappy parts of town and I've never gotten to kung fu any dudes. sucks ass!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2007 2:55am

Style: Mixed grappling & fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two years security, and a few months as a bouncer in college. I have yet to need anything more than verbal interaction. From a liability standpoint, I'd like to keep it that way. One of our other properties had a guy running from guards who were trying to detain him, and the guy (a thief) ran out onto a freeway to try to get away. The guy got splattered by a truck, and the surviving relatives are suing.

If it gets to the point where it's my life or theirs, I will do what I have to in order to survive, but I doubt I'll get into a situation like that. Usually the authority of being in uniform will make most punks/street types compliant enough that the situation can be easily controlled verbally. Heck, I've only been threatened once, and that came from a guy the cops had already cuffed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2007 4:11am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bounced various clubs in the same city for 9+ years. Only two of these clubs had regular problems in that area. One went out of business. The main club I worked at and was the security manager for for 4 of those years was a music venue with a different genre of music almost nightly. Here I was involved in several altercations. The majority were simply splitting fights up, others were dragging the unwilling outside the doors, and quite a few turned into actual fights either inside or out in the alley beside the club. Joint locks, restraints, and come alongs made up a big part of my arsenal and I trained them regualarly. Of course we always worked on strikes as they are the backbone of any decent fighting style. I was involved with a crew of bouncers that staffed many clubs downtown. It wasn't any type of agency, just a close network of folks who trained together and played together. This was mostly to give confidence to yo co worker so you know he will be behind you when you run into the fray.

If you are bouncing at a club or working a concert, you have to get involved. If someonoe sees you watching a fight and not handling it, you are out of a job. It does take a certain state of mind to willingly step into a confrontation for very little money. While I am glad that I am in a different sort of work,(mostly due to the pay increase) I had a blast working those clubs and shows. The action was a big part of that fun. And yes, alot of what I used came from what I learned in the dojo and gym.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    2/03/2007 7:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most "security guard" jobs are boring ****. Concerts and other large venues are like in a class of their own. To me it feels closer to being a bouncer, but you have to be nicer.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/03/2007 9:52am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having a plan and being utterly accustomed being rough with people without being all jacked up (i.e. like in your run-of-the-mill bjj class) goes a long way.

That and the Kimura; praise be.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    2/03/2007 3:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You use the kimura for moving ppl? or just restraining them on the ground?
Page 1 of 13 1 234511 ... LastLast