Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/18/2009 2:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sil Lum Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Mac View Post
    A lot of people on this site look for a style that is quick to learn and effective in a fight, and that is it. Chinese martial arts are not known for this. I am curious as to why the members here have chosen to train kung fu.
    Several reasons why I chose kung fu. First I wanted to learn some form martial art that would teach me to defend myself, which kung fu did. I feel and think that kung fu works fine for self defense. It has worked for me and thats what matters. Second reason I started in kung fu was for exercise. Third reason I started kung fu was to have something to do to keep me out of trouble as a young kid. Fourth reson was to make new friends and meet some girls. :)

Posted On:
    5/18/2009 8:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thinks Hands has a good point. CMA requires a comprehensive training curriculum. People that just train forms, without any of the drills or partner-based work that complement them, often are unable to use whatever skill the form has given them (or not) in a practical context. It's common to see forms being taught for their own sake, creating an empty 'performance-oriented' martial art. Tai Chi is a great example. Countless people just train the forms, and this may be beneficial to them in terms of health and fitness, but people who are ill-informed take this to represent the whole martial art, and sneer at it. If you train with tai chi people who train with the form as part of a comprehensive skill-set, then you soon see (or feel) the difference. Usually the first time your backside hits the mat. This is why people who know go to Chen Village (among other places) to train with people who are the 'real deal'.
    Last edited by BigGayKen; 5/18/2009 9:03pm at . Reason: to try and get my link working properly

Posted On:
    5/25/2009 10:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You hit the nail on the head. People should stop erroneously using the expression 'kung fu'. It doesn't mean anything when discussing a single form of martial art.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    5/26/2009 7:03am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The question means "Why choose any of the multitude of styles of Chinese Martial Arts"...

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 6:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Chin Na/Shuai-Chiao

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chin Na

Quote Originally Posted by Bang! View Post
    We've covered this to an extent in past, but I would like to make a dedicated CMA version. So here we go:

What are the specific principles of your style?

What abilities does your style claim to impart?

What is the average timeline for the development of those abilities?

The nerve! On what basis are you cheeky enough to be claim enough expertise to speak for your style?

Thanks!

Chin Na

China Na's goal is to gain control of aggressors by neutralizing their ability to fight by locking, dislocating or immobilizing their joints. Or simply by knocking them out. This is accomplished by tearing muscles and/or tendons, dislocating joints, suffocation, and striking meridians (pressure points). The ability to apply the basic principles of China Na (joint locking, dislocation and suffocation) effectively can be learned in several months with the instruction of a competent instructor.

As for the last question. "On what basis are you cheeky enough to be claim enough expertise to speak for your style?"

The syntax of your sentence is a little off. Which obfuscates your question, so I couldn't confidently answer it. :-)
    Last edited by WakelessDragon; 6/09/2009 7:27pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 1:44am

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started training Kung Fu because my BJJ teacher wanted to restart the class again. Mainly I'm interested in the body mechanics.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 3:43am

Style: Norse Death Hugging

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because it's fun, I get good exercise, I learn new things and I get to interact with interesting, exciting and inspiring people.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 9:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had some lessons in a Xiu Tao Kung Fu school because I was curious about the abilities of the "master" and his students, but noone there could fight. I could beat them all with internal Tai Chi principles(a certain state of mind that spits out intuitive movements you didn't ever learn) and a little ground fighting. I didn't even attempt a takedown, but I got in a clinch with the master in a "self defence situation" and through my Tai Chi stuff we somehow fell and landed with me in top mount and then he really didn't know what to do and I could armbar him easily. He's that kind of guy that Bruce Lee would've hated for what he does. I feel bad for him, he trained twenty years only to teach people who believe him blindly.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 9:23am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkfg View Post
    ...He's that kind of guy that Bruce Lee would've hated for what he does...
    This was one of the funniest posts I read here for a long time... Say Monkfg, did you already consider joining us on October 3rd in Leuven, Belgium for the European Throwdown?

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2009 6:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @tonuzuba
    Hey, thanks for the tip. Where do I get info about this? It will mostly depend on the train connection and price, but I'd really like to spar with good guys and try my Tai Chi stuff, which worked pretty well last time I test trained in MMA, maybe because the guys there weren't too good.