Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 8:19pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, nothing fundamentally wrong with that...actually it is a damn good idea!

But it is not the same as practicing a formalised traditional system of Chinese Boxing for the preservation of culture.

Good luck with finding a Sifu though

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 7:27am

Style: ex-KF, now Judoka + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thecheeseman
    once again not enough info comin from me. I am curerntly looking for a good school. What I have been doing is preparing. I believe this is the most traditional way where students used to practice the basics for years before learning the forms. This is what i am doing.
    If you've practice your basics well for three years, then you should have great attributes to go and learn almost any kind of martial art. Don't limit yourself to kung fu only. Find a good school that trains seriously and can demonstrate thier ability. Preferably one that competes in some kind of full contact event on a regular basis. If its kung fu, look for a record of competing in lei tai, san shou, or san da. If its not kung fu, ask around here to see what kind of events are considered a decent standard for competition. Don;t buy into the mystery schools that claim deadliness, yet cannot express it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 11:18am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thecheeseman
    I chose to learn kung fu because i am chinese. This is one of the last shimering pieces of a broken culture.
    ^^^ Very interesting aspect of kung fu being part of the cultural heritage and national identity, which cannot be said about most modern (even if more fight-efficient) versions of knowledge centered around causing physical harm to fellow human beings.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 10:47pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    seriousmantid your posts have been moved to here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57318

My best advice to you. This is bullshido. You are full of ****. Your instructor is full of ****. Show him this post then leave your school.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 11:00pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think you understand. You don't get to post on this thread anymore.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    7/19/2007 7:18am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know i am sort of coming in late on this discussion but...

I just started learning Kung Fu I am unsure of the particular style it is as the school i am at does not really specify- shoalin i guess (sorry). I chose kung fu, and in particular this school, i guess because i grew up around people doing TKD and Karate and wanted something different. And because I felt it would suit me best. (plus they have an awesome personal trainer that is helping with my fitness needs)
    But once i gain more experience in it i would like to train in others as well, to braoden my skills.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/19/2007 9:51am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by syberia

I just started learning Kung Fu I am unsure of the particular style it is as the school i am at does not really specify- shoalin i guess (sorry). I chose kung fu, and in particular this school, i guess because i grew up around people doing TKD and Karate and wanted something different. And because I felt it would suit me best. (plus they have an awesome personal trainer that is helping with my fitness needs)
    But once i gain more experience in it i would like to train in others as well, to braoden my skills.
    Let me help you out on your education a bit. Kung-fu is a general term we used by the non educatated or lazy or the uncaring to describe CMA. CMA has several categories depending upon who you ask. Shaolin is the name of a temple where, among other things, some martial arts are taught. People that say Shoalin sometimes are just doing it for notority and actually have nothing to do with Shoalin in the truist sense. If you like the school *thumbs up.

Good for you.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 11:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    psst. . .
    wow, he was actually civil. . .
    nice, even. . .

no, it's his mom using his account.

oh. . .
    that makes sense, thanks.

*hides*
    `~/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 11:22pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by syberia

exact same reason as me. Everything in my area is a mcdojo and the place I train at is legit and just so happens to be shaolin (just started about a month ago) and tai chi chuan. I am 15 myself and I have a friend who is also 15 and is a second degree black belt in TKD when he trains 2 days a week............. so knowing that his "prowess" is bullshit I avoided that. The only other legit deal here is Kendo/Iaido, but I prefer hand to hand.

thats why I do CMA =/ plus I like its history :P
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 ... LastLast