Posted On:
    2/02/2007 1:03pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

CMA Forum/How not to look stupid FAQ

FAQ (subject to update)

Why the Chinese martial arts (CMA) forum?
    This area is for the discussion of all styles of CMA. It is expected that posters will have competency in their respective arts, since opinions are like . . . well, everyone has one, donít they?

Donít you guys hate CMA?
    Settle down. Bullshido.net is probably a lot more open-minded than you think. And thanks to this forum, discussion will be kept largely flame-free. MMA nutriders have their own space to hang out. The price you pay for this well-appointed lounge is actually having something to offer in the way of intelligent discussion.

There are other forums out there, you know . . . Ones with fewer jerks.
    First of all, itís the jerks who will tell you that you forgot to wear deodorant, or that you have broccoli in your teeth. Secondly, this forum will attempt to differentiate itself by developing and maintaining consistent standards for proof. If you feel that your style of CMA has been wrongly maligned, then people here will work with you to create evidence of whatever claims you might have. Naturally, the flip-side of this is that not a lot of credence will be given to unsubstantiated verbiage. Thatís not too much to ask, is it?

Arenít the same issues going to come up again and again?
    Quite possible. The purpose of this FAQ is to deal with them in a detailed manner. Weíre going to do our best to provide comprehensive answers. These conclusions will form a jumping point for further discussions.

Can we hang out with Omega?
    Why on earth would you want to do that?

Can non-CMA practitioners post pertinent questions?
    Given this site's history, Non-practitioners are going to get a little less slack when it comes to posting here, but with that being said, any reasonable question or observation is welcome. Post away.

I hate you guys. You're abrasive assholes, and have shown little respect for CMA, like, ever.
    All I can really say is that you shouldn't let your prejudices run amok. This area is dedicated toward productive CMA discussion. The idea is to take things in a different direction than they have in past; we want to incubate ideas, not turn them into omelettes. Yes, if you post bullshit, you will be criticized, nay mocked. But that's the point -- we're looking for objective standards of evaluation. Whether you like it or not, that's what martial arts that aren't totally performance-based require.

Thatís it?
    This is a work in progress, mmkay? If you have suggestions for this page, then please post them and one of the moderators will integrate them accordingly.
    Last edited by Bang!; 2/03/2007 6:25pm at .

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 2:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it science?
    NO! It's not science. Science tries to document results. Even those arts with a venue where you can document results do not typically call their art a science. Stop trying to be an elitist by calling what you do a science. Or, at least have the sanity to attempt documenting your results.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 2:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about the sweet science? But really, who refers to their MA as science?
    Last edited by Bang!; 2/02/2007 2:35pm at .

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    What about the sweet science? But really, who refers to their MA as science?
    Sweet science is at least more correct because it is a way to say "we know we are not real scientists but at least we are trying to be systematic." Regardless, "the sweet science" is a nickname for western boxing, so I think it would cause confusion to use it regarding a CMA - at least for the purpose of this sub-forum as I understand it.

As for the second question, you aren't serious about that, are you? Because if you are, you've got to be blind or deaf or something. Quite a few people in CMA (particularly those in __ng __un) do exactly this.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 3:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right you are

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 4:24pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Right you are

****, I have that tape laying around somewhere. I understand it is all relative, but he Leung had the rep for being the real deal. Plus, he did western boxing in his youth.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 4:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anything noteworthy on the tape?

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 4:41pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Repulsive monkey sucks bananas

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 4:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice talk, sugarmouth. Actually, now that you're back, how's about starting a thread talking about your own CMA experiences? It would be nice for people to see that there are a few kung fu guys kicking around who can actually throw hands.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 4:52pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What would you like me to talk about? History, methodology, anecdotes?
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast