233538 Bullies, 3473 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/11/2002 2:06pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why don't your parents want you to quit until you're a black belt? Have they taken TKD, are they just happy with the idea that you'd be a "karate master", or are they trying to teach you to follow through with things you start?

You need to convince your parents that you've been researching martial arts, and have found that your school really won't teach you anything that will help you defend yourself if you get into a bad situation.

Explain to them the concept of "McDojo" and that many martial arts schools simply use it as a means to make money, while teaching little.

If you want to, point them to this site and even encourage them to ask questions.

9chambers is 100% right too. My High School didn't have a real wrestling team, and now I wish they did. We just did some minor Greco-Roman stuff in our PE classes, along with some boxing.

Don't miss out on that opportunity if you've got it.

You should also see if you can convince them to let you start taking Judo if it's in your area.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2002 8:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Michael, first of all, in all ustu tkd schools sparing you are not aloud punches to the head. second of all I have already starte there, but I have another year and a half till I get my black belt.

My parents don't want me to quit because they don't want me jumping from school to school.

"The night has come and all you lived for was in the day, but with understanding the night can be a powerfull alley"
  3. Michael

Posted On:
    9/11/2002 9:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know what the ustu studios allow and don't allow, like I said...mcdojo
  4. Michael

Posted On:
    9/11/2002 9:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In all seriousness I'm just having some fun with you. The USTU gets caught up into too much politics. Do I fee they are a Mcdojo orginization? Absolutely, but its a fine line there because they do teach good values, you just shouldn't believe that they're teaching you practical skills. They've asked me to join in the past. I told them thanks but no thanks.

BTW by my calculations you should be doing chin mu(sp). You should ask your instructor why they have all these head techniques in the forms but then they won't let strikes to the head. He may say too dangerous but at the higher levels you're supposed to show control anyway. You'll start to understand what I'm trying to say when you keep finding the holes in the system.

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    9/12/2002 12:01am

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't Olympic TKD have no punches to the head? I think that is why so many of them spar that way. Its not a 'legal' target.

You are 14; at your age there are plenty of things you will have an opportunity to participate in if you have any vision and persistence.

Wrestling is great, if it is available be sure to pick it up.

Even gymnastics would be good, you are getting a little old now, but it makes you super strong and flexible. Pound for pound, I might bet on a gymnast in a fight against a TKD guy on the basis of strength and coordination.

Try to reason with your parents, but don't make a big conflict out of it. There are many things worse than having parents that want you to do TKD so make the best of it.
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2002 6:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with you michael, although I don't really know if ustu is a mcdojo organization, I think it just all sport tkd. I want to train for the street, where most tkd guys train for olympic style sparring.

"The night has come and all you lived for was in the day, but with understanding the night can be a powerfull alley"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2002 3:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All this advice..... if I were 14 I'd look for a grappling school with lots of chicks... heh heh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2002 4:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'd definitely try and pick up some bjj. if there isn't a good school in your area HS wrestling is a good suggestion.

i find it very regretable that your parents are trying to dictate what type of extra curricular activities you participate in. if my parents had done that to me, my stand up would have suffered greatly.

at 14 yrs old, you should be able to go wherever the hell you want.

what if you don't get promoted in that timeframe (injury, school work etc, girls-although they should never interfere w/ training..)? at what age will they let you pursue what you want?

good luck man.
  9. 9chambers

Posted On:
    9/12/2002 8:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sneak out at night and study the art of the ninja ..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2002 6:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At first I wanted to go and study tkd, but then after a month or so I found out how ineffective it s for the street. Ksmythe I like your suggestion, I'll look into that. lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast