Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2002 8:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hi, i was wondering if you had any suggestions for minors. See I'm only 14 and right now I do tkd. I was wondering if you had an suggestions for me of what I could do to improve my skill and learn more?

"The night has come and all you lived for was in the day, but with understanding the night can be a powerfull alley"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2002 11:25pm

Style: Dynamic Combat,TaeKwondo,Judo,Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I have to say is train hard, and never stop learning. Ask questions, read books on whatever art you study. Cross train so you become more well rounded. Learn some good grappling defenses, wrestling, muay thai. Also learn about weapons if you're into that kinda thing. How to use them and how to defend. That's how I trained before I went to the school I'm at now. Even learn some basics of other systems you're not actually taking, so that way you're familiar with a variety of ways a person can hit, use a weapon, or tackle you. Hope that helps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2002 6:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The place I go tois not a mcdojo, its a really good tkd school, but I hate it. the reason i hate it is because mainly, when you spar there is: no hitting or kicking below the belt, no hand strikes to the head, no grappling, no ground fighting, no elbows, and no knees.

I want to train more realistically than this.

"The night has come and all you lived for was in the day, but with understanding the night can be a powerfull alley"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2002 6:30am

Style: Dynamic Combat,TaeKwondo,Judo,Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd suggest looking in the phone book, or talking with people, and go from school to school and see if what they're teaching is something you'd like. Ask to take a free class even to try it before you put any money down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2002 6:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My parents won't let me quit tkd untill I get my Black belt, whichwill be about another year and a half.

6. 9chambers

Posted On:
    9/11/2002 9:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Join the high school wrestling team, its free and you will learn a lot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2002 9:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best question to ask is why. Don't just learn the motions learn the reasoning.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2002 10:04am

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your parents won't let you quit until you get your black belt? It sounds more like you are training for them not you. Train for you! I'm assuming they are paying for your lessons so they can say what they will pay for. I don't see what difference it makes what art you are training. Do not think of it as quitting, think of it as expanding. Perhaps they are afraid that your "quitting" will have wasted their money if you (they) don't get a black belt. It may be difficult but try to make a logical case to your parents and maybe they will change their minds.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2002 11:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "My parents won't let me quit tkd untill I get my Black belt, whichwill be about another year and a half."
    hehehe... my parents was like this but i convinced them that belt is no big deal,actually my teacher convinced them. yea it's Crap that even in good TKD dojo's they don't allow u kick below waist... i hate myself that... but it's ur choice u can practice urself and get someone who'll be able to practice with u.
    u should cross train as DCM fighter put it, get freinds with some judo, JJ, or BJJ guys and spar with them frequently, u'll find techniques in ur art itself against them but u'll learn ground tackling too...
    cross training is the key otherwise after so much practice u would find urself no where..
    that would be ur plus point...
    and learn to enjoy ur Art, luv ur art
    -Bhudhijeevi-
  10. Michael

Posted On:
    9/11/2002 2:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    View point #1;
    TKD is a martial art of honor. Just like dueling in the old days ceartain codes were observed by gentleman and kicking below the belt was a definite no no. In the original system (this is relatively speaking) of Tae kyon more feet techniques were used because it was considered uncooth to use your hands for anything except for art and writing.

View point#2
    What the **** do you mean they won't let you make head contact with the punches? How the **** can you sit there and tell me that you're not going to a damn Mcdojo when you can't even have a semblence of practical sparring and you're going to get you blackbelt within a year and a half.

What the heck does a black belt have to do with anything? Are they teaching you something you like? No, then you probably won't learn the stuff the way you should. What do you do if a thug at school corners you and goes to punch you lights out....wait, you've never really had to defend yourself against head strikes how would you know? What happens when somebody goes to tackle you(the #3 most common attack I've encountered)...wait you never practiced realistically for that, damn. Where's that hospital insurance? Oh I remember I left it with you blackbelt certificate.

Look my friend take up some boxing lessons to learn to protect your face. Go join the wrestling team to let you understand grappling. Go join the football team and learn how to hit with power and boost your confidence level. Go get a crowbar and help get your parent's and TKD instructor's heads out their asses.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast