224531 Bullies, 3512 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 98
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. bob is offline
    bob's Avatar

    Prophet of Apathy

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    897

    Posted On:
    2/05/2007 6:30am


     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuCowboy
    Well here's my unstated point.

    It's a kind of a pointless irrelevant thing that the "jab" was never in CMA. I couldn't give **** all about a boxer's jab. Even TODAY there is no beng quan in boxing, no Baji Jingangshi in any western striking art outside of china and no pao, zuan or heng. There is no proper shoulder slamming outside of China and.....Canada actually (think hockey fights) and a dozen other things so what's the fucking point of "there's no jab in CMA"? There's a lead leg stepping on your shin when you try that jab or a kick to the midsection. So basically I just look at the use of the technique rather than the details. If you ask, "Is there a comparable technique that accomplishes the same thing?" then yes. There are dozens.

    So **** off on that point even if it's legit (all it says is that you are anal which is kind of weird for a chick) and BTW I am Omar but I don't really give a **** about the MMA/MT crowd like I used to so pardon my french. I'm mostly only planning to post on the monkey's subforum.
    Mate, if there's no jab in CMA, your attitude should be; "Well, Ok, I need to learn how to jab properly then."

    The arts that have flourished in non-restrictive ruleset combat sports have done so because they've been prepared to adapt. MT has learned from boxing, BJJ has learned from SAMBO and Wrestling. etc. etc. One of the main reasons CMAs have so little respect on this site is because so many of their practicioners have an insular attitude.
  2. Physics_Nazi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    113

    Posted On:
    2/05/2007 7:29am


     Style: _詠_春

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    Mate, if there's no jab in CMA, your attitude should be; "Well, Ok, I need to learn how to jab properly then."
    Should it? What is the motivation for training a CMA? It seems to me a combination of asthetics, fanboyness and defiance i.e: "well I like kung fu so let's suck it and see, must have worked at some point....oh and **** you"

    If your attitude is "****, I'm getting arseraped...I could really use a jab", then go learn a jab. Conversely, if you decide "nope, this is working for me, thanks for asking", then bugger the jab.

    Those arts you mentioned did so because of the first reason, not the second.
  3. Bang! is offline
    Bang!'s Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,242

    Posted On:
    2/05/2007 7:45am

    supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear douchebags,

    One thing that we're going to be trying to avoid is forum clutter. Re-hashing the same arguments over and over -- especially when most of them have been properly dealt with -- is tedious. If you're so worked up over whether san shou kung fu actually looks like what you think kung fu looks like, or why one particular kung fu practitioner feels that he has tools that serve the purpose of the jab (just like, I don't know, a BJJ guy who largely eschews kneeling passes) then maybe you should do some research first and then start a well thought-out and worthwhile thread. Why? So we can focus on subject in adequate detail (and in an appropriate place) and then move on with our motherfucking lives when it comes to other threads.
  4. Bang! is offline
    Bang!'s Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,242

    Posted On:
    2/05/2007 7:46am

    supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, Is It Fake is co-modding this bad-boy and he's not as nice as I am.
  5. Mut Sao is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    218

    Posted On:
    2/05/2007 7:58am


     Style: Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****..... what dicks.... we all know kung fu can't fight, why not let us LARPers go on believing that we have the ultimate....

    ...ohh and Virus, Bornsceptic, try to get to Melbourne for our next throwdown... its in March... I'll be there, can't say i have seen any footage of you guys from any Sydney events (say when was the last one?)....
  6. Omar is offline

    Baji demigod.

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Xi'an, P.R.C.
    Posts
    4,249

    Posted On:
    2/05/2007 9:24am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    Mate, if there's no jab in CMA, your attitude should be; "Well, Ok, I need to learn how to jab properly then."

    The arts that have flourished in non-restrictive ruleset combat sports have done so because they've been prepared to adapt. MT has learned from boxing, BJJ has learned from SAMBO and Wrestling. etc. etc. One of the main reasons CMAs have so little respect on this site is because so many of their practicioners have an insular attitude.
    Physics Natzi and Monkey kind of got it already but let me put it more bluntly.

    The kind of kungfu I am focused on doesnt' give **** all about winning rounds. It's all about putting the other dude on their ass in ONE ROUND. While your at it, check out the latest MMA reels and count how many classic boxer jabs are thrown. Hardly fucking any. Here's the rock-paper-scissors on jabs.

    Lead leg kick > jab.

    You jab. I kick you in the ribs.
    You jab again. I step on your shin.
    You jab again and I slam into your full force so we are so close you can smell who I was in bed with last night.

    Jabs are for feeling out your opponent and winning rounds. They are a BOXER's tool and when you remove the rules governing boxing their importance diminishes DRAMATICALLY. In Kickboxing they are still pretty important but much less so than in pure boxing. In MMA, even less important than in Kickboxing and with weapons thrown in, less important still.

    So yeah. Jab away.

    Just to step back into your tiny little box for a moment, consider the finger jab. That's an extremely common technique in CMA. Now try to tell me why a finger jab is inferior to a regular jab. I can tell you exactly why there are no finger jabs in boxing. Can you say why there are no boxing jabs in CMA? If there's enough air conditioning in the little box you put your brain in, get back to me before your brain overheats from all the exertion.


    p.s.

    Let's reverse your logic for a moment and say, "Mate, if there's no pi quan in WMA, your attitude should be; "Well, Ok, I need to learn how to pi quan properly then."

    Think about it.
    Last edited by Omar; 2/05/2007 9:29am at .
  7. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,968

    Posted On:
    2/05/2007 1:09pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I'll say right now is everyone, including you KFC, needs to step back and STFU.

    Movie Kung Fu, for the most part, is not real kung fu. If you bother to read any of the books, detailing the famous directors, damn near all say they made the **** up specifically for the movies. So, every time I hear " it should look like kung fu," I laugh at your ignorance.


    Before you haters get all upset. I get mad at instructors that say look and fight like Jackie Chan back in the day. Now its Look and fight like Jet Li. This is CMA ignorance because both actors admit they can't fight.
  8. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    2/05/2007 1:23pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuCowboy
    Let's reverse your logic for a moment and say, "Mate, if there's no pi quan in WMA, your attitude should be; "Well, Ok, I need to learn how to pi quan properly then."

    Think about it.
    If you would do a nice little writeup on the pi quan in strikeistan it'd be much appreciated.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
  9. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    2/05/2007 1:27pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuCowboy
    Well here's my unstated point.

    It's a kind of a pointless irrelevant thing that the "jab" was never in CMA. I couldn't give **** all about a boxer's jab. Even TODAY there is no beng quan in boxing, no Baji Jingangshi in any western striking art outside of china and no pao, zuan or heng. There is no proper shoulder slamming outside of China and.....Canada actually (think hockey fights) and a dozen other things so what's the fucking point of "there's no jab in CMA"? There's a lead leg stepping on your shin when you try that jab or a kick to the midsection. So basically I just look at the use of the technique rather than the details. If you ask, "Is there a comparable technique that accomplishes the same thing?" then yes. There are dozens.

    So **** off on that point even if it's legit (all it says is that you are anal which is kind of weird for a chick) and BTW I am Omar but I don't really give a **** about the MMA/MT crowd like I used to so pardon my french. I'm mostly only planning to post on the monkey's subforum.

    I don't have any interest in wether kung fu styles have a jab or not, I was only commenting on the fact that many people think they know how to jab, and then have their elbows flaired, push with their fist, and lean forward... or whatever. That has nothing to do with kung fu, since all the people that I see doing it on a day to day basis are in muay thai class.

    Please excuse the interruption.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
  10. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,968

    Posted On:
    2/05/2007 1:31pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    I would say that the only Kung Fu that is functional comes from the San Da. Those guys got it right. Take out everything you cant spar with, and spar with what you have left. Sounds good tom me. Of course it doesnt even remotley look like Kung Fu kata. I dont see anything wrong with Kung Fu guys claiming Kung Fu when they do San Da training. I do mind people who do Wing Chun, Shaolin or Southern Praying Mantis pointing at the San Da guys going "see, it works!"
    You realize that is its purpose right?
    You realize that sanda can be in any style?

    In other words sanda/sanshou in cullion's Tai Chi isn't kick boxing or boxing. It is Tai Chi techniques used and trained in the correct manner.

    Yes, the definition has been skewed. Also, it doesn't help that advertising has helped further the myth.

    If I say I teach Tai Chi Praying Mantis and Sanda it sound like an independent style. It shouldn't be this way.

    You practice Yang style long form and do Sanda with the techniques.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 2/05/2007 1:34pm at .
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.