Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: Does bullshido?

Style
    BJJ/Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Does bullshido?

Does Bullshido have any official articles about how not to go to a bad martial arts school. I am getting quite fed up with my HKD training, and it's making feel hopleless and it makes me feel like if I continue to study there, I'll get my ass handed to me.

See, I'm 16, and my parents don't understand the concept of "bullshido" and "mcdojos" And sadly they signed a contract with holds me to this summer. Not only that, but my dad keeps saying that if I don't continue and get my blackbelt that I'm a quiter and lazy. (which isn't true, I just prefer better training then what my HKD gives me)

Now I will say that HKD has given me a good base, and has made me expand into other arts, but that's about it.

OmegaBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, KFighter. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

Style
    Rehab
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tell your parents why Hapkido sucks and explain why. Get a Saturday job and spend the money on some good MA training. Judo and boxing tend to be cheap if money's an issue. Good luck.

Style
    BJJ/Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningDog
    Tell your parents why Hapkido sucks and explain why. Get a Saturday job and spend the money on some good MA training. Judo and boxing tend to be cheap if money's an issue. Good luck.
    I did. Many times. I've told them why it sucks, I've told them that half the techniques they teach don't work, and how shitty it is. It's a chore going to HKD training now, not even fun.

I actually did get a new job, and work 3-4 days a week so I can pay for new MA training. And I did start a new MA. I've started Choy Lay Fut. (listen before you say "hahaha kung fu...")

The Choy Lay Fut guy is down to earth. Even though we learn the whole curriculum of Hung Sing CLF, he is all about sparring full contact, and Sanshou. Tonight in CLF class, we did some Sanshou application. And the stuff I learn there, gasp!.... actually works.

Style
    Sub-wrestling, mostly...
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went through something simular to you when I was seventeen (almost eighteen). All though I wasn't forced to go to the kung fu school and I wasn't under a contract my father was upset with me for quitting before black. As you know, to people who aren't involved in the martial arts the black belt is held in high regard irregardless of the system. People who practice sport oriented martial arts without a belt to indicate status or take a system like BJJ where you don't accelerate through the ranks as fast are often thought of as less skilled than little joey who got his TKD black belt in two years. That's just a fact of life and you're going to have to accept it. Just ignore the naysayers.

On the subject of anti-bullshido material I think you better look into Matt Thornton. Here's some of his material:
    - http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...=matt+thornton That's his shortest video that explains everything to the point.
    - http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=matt+thornton If you have some time check out his longer videos.
    - http://aliveness101.blogspot.com/200...aliveness.html Matt Thornton's popular "Aliveness" article.
    - http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk/NHBintro.htm Steve Morris' NHB article makes some interesting points
    - Bullshido.com, a different site run by Phrost as well, might have some more material for your argument.

Good luck fighting BS!

Style
    Recovery(lung surgeries)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look for some Judo . It is cheap , will be a little familiar with your HKD expirence and will serve as an EXCELLENT base for future MA's when you can do things on your own and on your own time .

If you fail to find Judo join your highschool wrestling team or at least see if you practice with them .

The Choy Lay Fut guy is down to earth. Even though we learn the whole curriculum of Hung Sing CLF, he is all about sparring full contact, and Sanshou. Tonight in CLF class, we did some Sanshou application. And the stuff I learn there, gasp!.... actually works.
    I know nothing about CLF , but it may serve your needs if you want to learn all the extras outside of protecting yourself . I for one , am sick of the one/two step drills , kata , and wasting my time . But if is what you want to do ... go for it .

Keep an eye out for MA clubs around your local college as well .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Sub-wrestling, mostly...
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    Look for some Judo . It is cheap , will be a little familiar with your HKD expirence and will serve as an EXCELLENT base for future MA's when you can do things on your own and on your own time .

If you fail to find Judo join your highschool wrestling team or at least see if you practice with them .

I know nothing about CLF , but it may serve your needs if you want to learn all the extras outside of protecting yourself . I for one , am sick of the one/two step drills , kata , and wasting my time . But if is what you want to do ... go for it .

Keep an eye out for MA clubs around your local college as well .
    This is excellent advice. I train at York University in Toronto and pay about $45/month when you do the math.

Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc. supporting member
    Style
    Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HearWa
    I went through something simular to you when I was seventeen (almost eighteen). All though I wasn't forced to go to the kung fu school and I wasn't under a contract my father was upset with me for quitting before black. As you know, to people who aren't involved in the martial arts the black belt is held in high regard irregardless of the system. People who practice sport oriented martial arts without a belt to indicate status or take a system like BJJ where you don't accelerate through the ranks as fast are often thought of as less skilled than little joey who got his TKD black belt in two years. That's just a fact of life and you're going to have to accept it. Just ignore the naysayers.
    Your post has caused unpleasant thoughts to enter my head....Although my parents understand my Ke?po situation and why I no longer teach there, I have a crapload of little cousins who train in a myriad of crap MA schools. And all of their parents view me training in a system for nearly a year, and am only now just getting close to a blue belt (Blue!? Timmy got blue in less than 4 months) as there being something wrong with my school, and trying to explain that belts are performance based just doesn't seem to make sense to them.

Then there's the whole, seeing me grappling, and the "That's not martial arts!" gut response.

ugh...
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Style
    I request to be banned
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HearWa
    This is excellent advice. I train at York University in Toronto and pay about $45/month when you do the math.
    How is University training? There's a Karate club at University of Saskatchewan ( I can't remember the cost, but there is a student discount), but I decided against joining and went for MT instead.

Style
    JKD BJJ JUDO MUY THAI
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Join your HS wrestling team. I have won more fights with those skills than any martial arts training I received.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last