Sponsored Links Spacer Image

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/03/2007 5:52pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about that, mug - it seems like you'd have to be reaching out at a much different vector to hit the blade as shown in the picture, if the sword came down faster then expected, wouldn't it come down on you while your hand was coming up to meet it? Or when you were farther away? I can see, with the approximate luck required to win at keno, how you might PARRY a strike with a shuko, but to hold the blade long enough to disarm the weilder? I honestly thing you'd be better off by far to try to slap the inside flat of the blade with your hand or forearm then to reach out and touch the cutting edge if pressed at those quarters.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2007 6:34pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muqatil
    The sword may come down faster or sooner than you expected. You may go to move forward to take the hands or arms and lose your footing and be unable to get out from under the sword. **** happens. You deal with what you have. No one is saying that this would be a first choice, just one tool in case things get fucked.
    Ok, but how often do you practice this alive? I mean, do you ever have a partner go balls out on you with a bokken or shinai trying to hit you while you use you ninja claws to stop it? I don't see why weapons get this free pass when it comes to alive training. If static patterns don't work with unarmed combat, why should we expect them to work with weapons? If you post a video of someone using ninja claws, or whatever the safe approximation of them would be, on someone actually trying to hit you with a shinai using unscripted movements, I will be impressed. Until then this is all just martial theory.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/03/2007 7:19pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaspaine
    Ok, but how often do you practice this alive? I mean, do you ever have a partner go balls out on you with a bokken or shinai trying to hit you while you use you ninja claws to stop it? I don't see why weapons get this free pass when it comes to alive training. If static patterns don't work with unarmed combat, why should we expect them to work with weapons? If you post a video of someone using ninja claws, or whatever the safe approximation of them would be, on someone actually trying to hit you with a shinai using unscripted movements, I will be impressed. Until then this is all just martial theory.

Weapons do not get a free pass, if you want to learn sword you have to go at it with shinai, knife use wood, etc.

You are right, when I was doing Togakure Ryu stuff (genbukan or bujinkan) we NEVER practiced it alive, maybe other have.

I am said my views on the Shuko before on here. It a climbing aid that could be used as hidden weapon if necessary. However, it still inferior to a blade, sword or knife or a projectile.
    It main/only advantage is the fact they are hidden.

I honestly, doubt to many shinobi no mono used these to catch swords, more like as a climbing tool then as a close combat ripping weapon to slash the face before they ran. Even then I would prefer a knife.

However, I will say stop swords with shuko in demonstration is a cool skit to do and is technically possible, and the possibility of it to point of the MythBusters ep. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Posted On:
    2/03/2007 8:14pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    that's a specific, really stupid technique. It's the "sticking your finger in the barrel like bugs bunny" of sword disarms.
    Exactly. Anybody who's defending something like the picture Ninjew just posted is stuck in their own larp-verse with their head squarely inserted in their rectum.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    2/04/2007 2:42am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rw4th
    Using an unsharpened sword to test this ruins it. If you’ve tried it, just think about the amount of contact the blade has with your hand and fingers. Not only that, but with the speed at which the blade would be moving in real life … it’s bullshit.

I’m sure Dale Seago set them straight about how there is no such thing as “Ninjutsu” anymore, how the history of “ninjas” is questionable at best, and how it’s basically all just bad Jujutsu and questionable lineages.
    It is theoretically possible to parry a sword blade with just your hand.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Posted On:
    2/04/2007 11:59am

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    It is theoretically possible to parry a sword blade with just your hand.
    It's also theoretically possible to dodge bullets. Or how about GunKata, that's theoretically possible to right?

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    2/04/2007 12:49pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just poking you guys with sticks.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Posted On:
    2/04/2007 4:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Video of shuko sword block done with alive conditions please.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/04/2007 4:14pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure, to be fair to mythbusters, that they're more interesting in the physical propterties of the problem, IE could the hand claw actually stop the sword, and less "Is it practical"

Because I'm pretty sure if they wanted you dead, they'd use Terrible Mad Science on you, not a sword.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    2/04/2007 4:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    THe mythbusters peeps just like swords. I saw one where they tested if a sword fight could really go down like they do in the movies. After rigourous tests, they concluded that no; too much damage would be sustained by both blades for a prolonged swordfight duel like in the movies.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast