Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 8:03am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    Doesn't the fact that they're using another Booj Ninja ruin the objectiveness of the experiment? Wouldn't it have been better to use kendo practitioner or anyone who doesn't practice Booj Kenjutsu?

No. Many Kendo-ka have no idea how to use a real blade.

an Iaido-ka or a Ko ryu Kenjutsu-ka would of been better then a Bujinkan Kenjutsu-ka, however, Dale probably wanted someone he could trust. Either to make himself look good on tv or to make sure his uke didn't do something crazy and unpredictable.

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 8:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rw4th
    Using an unsharpened sword to test this ruins it. If you’ve tried it, just think about the amount of contact the blade has with your hand and fingers. Not only that, but with the speed at which the blade would be moving in real life … it’s bullshit.

I have seen it done. Granted it take an incredable amount of skill, but driving into a cut at the hand /lower part of the blade, which isn't moving as fast as the tip , is possible.

I’m sure Dale Seago set them straight about how there is no such thing as “Ninjutsu” anymore, how the history of “ninjas” is questionable at best, and how it’s basically all just bad Jujutsu and questionable lineages.
    I assume this is scarasm.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 9:29am

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Using an unsharpened sword to test this ruins it. If you’ve tried it, just think about the amount of contact the blade has with your hand and fingers. Not only that, but with the speed at which the blade would be moving in real life … it’s bullshit.

The original plan was to use a live blade. Insurance issues for Mythbusters though.

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 1:19pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pl4zM4
    I have seen it done. Granted it take an incredable amount of skill, but driving into a cut at the hand /lower part of the blade, which isn't moving as fast as the tip , is possible.
    Yeah, I've seen it done and practiced it as well. I still think that in a live environment, where the attacker is not doing the "attack once and wait there" and is actually chaining multiple cuts, that's it's next to impossible.

I assume this is scarasm.
    :jihad:

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 1:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muqatil
    The original plan was to use a live blade. Insurance issues for Mythbusters though.
    I'd rather see aliveness then a live blade anyway, but I doubt there will be much of that either.

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 1:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ooh, hope they ask Dale to stick his hand down the throat of somebody RNCing him and tear his esophagus like he claims Grandmaster Ninja is able to. That should be a laff.

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 1:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I've seen it done and practiced it as well. I still think that in a live environment, where the attacker is not doing the "attack once and wait there" and is actually chaining multiple cuts, that's it's next to impossible.
    Couldn't the attacker, like, turn the sword and pull or something, relieving uke of his fingers?

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 1:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    Ooh, hope they ask Dale to stick his hand down the throat of somebody RNCing him and tear his esophagus like he claims Grandmaster Ninja is able to. That should be a laff.

For the record, he claimed Jack Hoban did that (albeit learned from Hatsumi-san). I believe it was claw at his esophagus rather then tear.

In any case, I believed the "myth" the mythbusters were looking into was the use of Shuko.

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 1:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pl4zM4
    In any case, I believed the "myth" the mythbusters were looking into was the use of Shuko.
    I wonder if they'll test the "climbing tool" aspect of them.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 1:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll have to see it before drawing conclusions, but I have a sinking feeling in my stomach.

It really depends on what they're testing. Having another ninjer or someone who's untrained is definitely useless.

If they want to know if it's physically possible to stop a sword with claws, then somebody like a toyama ryu practitioner would be good for the test. They do lots of test cutting and know how to put a lot of force behind a sword swing.

If they want to test whether it's realistically feasable - then a kendoka would be a better choice, since they have a much better understanding of distance, speed and dealing with a resisting opponent.

Real world, I'd say the ninjer wouldn't stand a chance. Trying to block a 2 foot long razor with your hand is an act of desperation not a viable combat tactic.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast