Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2007 11:34pm

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shotokan Ground Fighting

I was sparring with a karate guy earlier today. Kyokoshinkai. After a while, we talked about other styles of karate, and specifically shotokan, and I mentioned ground fighting. It was at that point that I realized I know absolutely nothing about shotokan ground fighting, I've never seen it, and I've always wondered about it. So, I pose this question to you all, for I am very curious.

Videos? Articles? Books? I don't know why I'm so curious, I just am.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 4:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: SHOTOKAN

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to understand irimi,mostly practiced at Egami Ryu,thesedays.ALL techniques of Shotokan includes sen no sen,go no sen,and diai bunkai.Ending at the ground is the resault of gravity,mostly seen in the non stop dojo kumite.GICHIN FUNAKOSHI says few things about throws,in Karate-Do Kyohan.Someone has to be an intelligent 2nd dan and up,to see clearly this subject.My advice:bufu ikkan,that means everyday practice,or,keep the budo alive.

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 11:37am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to take Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to understand Shotokan's ground fighting. My instructor has black belts in both and we joke about it all the time.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 11:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyktidromos
    You have to understand irimi,mostly practiced at Egami Ryu,thesedays.ALL techniques of Shotokan includes sen no sen,go no sen,and diai bunkai.Ending at the ground is the resault of gravity,mostly seen in the non stop dojo kumite.GICHIN FUNAKOSHI says few things about throws,in Karate-Do Kyohan.Someone has to be an intelligent 2nd dan and up,to see clearly this subject.My advice:bufu ikkan,that means everyday practice,or,keep the budo alive.

I read Karate-Do near the end Funakoshi throws in the fact that Okinawans love to wrestle and spent a lot of time as a youth having impromptu "matches" with other youths.

It's one of those weird Japanesse thing in which wrestling is seen as low brow, a fun activity, but not serious like karate.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 12:38pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyktidromos
    OK...I know all of the Japanese terms you tossed out there.

I have a copy of the Karate-Do Kyohan...

And I'm still going to say WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 12:39pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uri Shatil
    I was sparring with a karate guy earlier today. Kyokoshinkai. After a while, we talked about other styles of karate, and specifically shotokan, and I mentioned ground fighting. It was at that point that I realized I know absolutely nothing about shotokan ground fighting, I've never seen it, and I've always wondered about it. So, I pose this question to you all, for I am very curious.

Videos? Articles? Books? I don't know why I'm so curious, I just am.
    Shotokan has no real groundfighting curriculum. Throws and sweeps are a part of Shotokan, though many schools do not cover them at all, and those that do may or may not allow them in sparring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 12:41pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    OK...I know all of the Japanese terms you tossed out there.

I have a copy of the Karate-Do Kyohan...

And I'm still going to say WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

I have to second that motion....there is not bunkai in Shotokan, nor any ground-fighting, so just train/dance.

You only end up on the ground in Shotokan be either being ko'ed, swept, or losing your balance.

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 12:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This reminds me of a certain frustrated shotokan black belt on a certain karate forum trying to convince me that their "floorwork" is and always has been part of shotokan. How I laughed. In the end, I suppose these people think they are making karate seem better by claiming to have it all, but they are actually doing it a great disservice as it comes across as a desperate attempt to jump on the grappling bandwagon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 1:25pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    I suppose these people think they are making karate seem better by claiming to have it all, but they are actually doing it a great disservice as it comes across as a desperate attempt to jump on the grappling bandwagon.

Just like the folks in some Shotokan circles who profess to have discovered the ancient and lost bunkai of Bassai...the anti-grapple ftw.

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 1:46pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which just shows you they don't even know the bunkai for Bassai...because I don't think there's anything in there that could be classified as "anti-grapple"...
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast