2/07/2007 7:59am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Koto Ryu can bloody hurt!

Spooky did you like the clip?

That is Kaminaga's dojo, he was a student of Ueno Takashi. He is the man that the Ko Ryu Federation recongizes as the lineage grandmaster of Koto Ryu (not a slight on Hatsumi, but it worth pointing out).

And you can bring back to Chapman(I believed he commented before about us teaching Koto-ryu), Thats the lineage Tanemura claims Koto-ryu from and through that lineage is were we licenese in Koto-ryu. However, our Koto-ryu is much less stylized, I don't know what that stance they start with or why they chamber there punches.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 8:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjew
    Spooky did you like the clip?

That is Kaminaga's dojo, he was a student of Ueno Takashi. He is the man that the Ko Ryu Federation recongizes as the lineage grandmaster of Koto Ryu (not a slight on Hatsumi, but it worth pointing out).

And you can bring back to Chapman(I believed he commented before about us teaching Koto-ryu), Thats the lineage Tanemura claims Koto-ryu from and through that lineage is were we licenese in Koto-ryu. However, our Koto-ryu is much less stylized, I don't know what that stance they start with or why they chamber there punches.

Yes I did, very interesting. What I've come to expect from demo clips of that sort, very formal.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 6:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Japanese Martial Arts, if Aikido is the very left of the spectrum , Koppojutsu is on the very right.

Aikido: "I flow will your attack, letting you throw yourself"
    Koppojutsu: "I stop you attack by attacking you, the I grab your skin and use it to throw you on your head"
    This is nothing but a positive for Koppojutsu. Haven't really heard much about this particular style. Is it taught widely in North America or no?
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 7:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    This is nothing but a positive for Koppojutsu. Haven't really heard much about this particular style. Is it taught widely in North America or no?

Not really the primarily source of Koppojutsu in the North America is the Bujinkan/Genbukan/Jinenkan. On top of thats I wouldn't consider 90% of those school to do real koppojutsu, most of the x-kans school do Koppojutsu in a style more consistent with Takagi Yoshin Ryu. Koto Ryu is suppose to hard and brutal, not circular and flowing.

Koppojutsu style is located in realm Ko Ryu Jujutsu which is fairly rare outside of Japan.

Real Hard lineage Koppojutsu is next to impossible to find. Unless you live near one of the very few Koppojutsu school, the closest you can hope is a GOOD Bujinkan/Genbukan/Jinenkan School.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 3:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have to admit I've never thought of Koto Ryu to be circular, Gyokko Ryu yes not Koto Ryu. It always seemed to focus on more linear movement and angles, I havenít done that much though.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 8:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Have to admit I've never thought of Koto Ryu to be circular, Gyokko Ryu yes not Koto Ryu. It always seemed to focus on more linear movement and angles, I havenít done that much though.

Many of the school under the American Shihan's (I have no clue about the British ones) are IMO bluring the lines between the Ryu-Ha. This will still do Koto-ryu and Gyokko-ryu kata however, the "feel" and style of the then will be the same.

For example, I've seen Bujinkan start a Koppojutsu kata and then all of a sudden do a Classical jujutsu style wrist lock and do a Takagi Yoshin Ryu pin. This is leading to bleeding of kata and lose of purpose of doing a Koppojutsu technique.

Koto-ryu needs to be straight, powerful and overtaking. Without that it is no longer Koppojutsu.

Go to the bottom of this page http://www.daytonbujinkan.com/picturesvideos.html

These are Koto Ryu Kata - American Bujinkan Style. This is NOT Koppojutsu anymore.

Batsugi Henka (2 MB)
    (.avi)

Koyoku Henka (1.2 MB)

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 5:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by leere_form
    aha, thanks.

do you train atemi in your aikido style?
    I found time to upload an old video where you can see some atemi waza iwama style.

5:10 to 6:40

http://www.google.com/videoplay\?doc...66532136083095

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 2:46pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    very cool video. a lot of those strikes look familiar to me, actually, such as the knife-hand to the solar plexus after breaking their balance backwards with irimi-nage, and the elbow to the ribs when entering for shiho-nage.

i always liked watching saito sensei throw people around.. he just, i dunno, compliant ukes or not---he sure can launch them.

also i love to see kaeshi waza. do you think it is predetermined that the technique be countered, or rather is it competitive to some degree?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 3:40pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many of the school under the American Shihan's (I have no clue about the British ones) are IMO bluring the lines between the Ryu-Ha. This will still do Koto-ryu and Gyokko-ryu kata however, the "feel" and style of the then will be the same.
    It's a side effect of Hatsumi's Ryu-ha videos. The tricky old bastard seems to have done the videos using Gyokko-ryu footwork as a way of being able to spot people who actually trained in the Ryu and those who were just cribbing from the video.

Out of curiousity have you ever seen Moti Nativ's Koto-ryu videos?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 10:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    Out of curiousity have you ever seen Moti Nativ's Koto-ryu videos?

Yes I actually own them. They aren't too bad. Actually it probably the best Bujinkan Kotoryu video I ever seen. It hard and nasty like Kotoryu suppose to be. However, even he blurs the lines using a staff to do Kotoryu kata at times. Also some the sutemi waza from their version of Okuden will just get you mounted.

However, this is not surprising as it seems Israeli Bujinkan is on a different level of training them the rest of the Bujinkan. The best Koto-ryu video on the market still is the Bushikai Koppojutsu videos from Michael Mcgee (but I am bias ;) )
    Last edited by Plasma; 2/12/2007 10:14pm at .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast