Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 12:44am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need to heal fast - advice pls

Both my shins (the long muscle that runs on the side of the bone) are swollen up from checking kicks. I think I also pulled the achilles tendon or something on my right leg, or maybe I got kicked there I'm not sure, but I cannot do a calf stretch as it hurts too much.

I RICE'ed it last night, and I think it helped. But I need to heal fast, any suggestions?

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 12:56am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    High doses of your preferred brand of ibuprofen (I usually do a 500 mg extra strength acetomenophen to 200 or 220 mg ibuprofen, but I hate my liver and don't really care about the consequences of doing this, because it relieves my pain better than 1800 mg of ibuprofen) combined with your preferred topical analgesic. I use extra strength bengay because that's what the PX has, but I have used horse liniment, icyhot, and even tiger balm in the past with success. Also, OD on oranges and bananas (oranges because I like them, bananas because they're high in potassium). Oh, and multivitamins.

Also, if you're going to stretch out, try stretching out during a really hot shower. Point the shower head at your trouble spot and stretch while scalding hot water is blasting it.

I'm sure some "expert" will come along and contradict me with the correct way of treating your wounds, but that's how I keep myself functional from day to day. I refuse to go to sick call (Profile Ranger Holla) on moral grounds.
    Last edited by Cassius; 2/02/2007 1:02am at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 12:58am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Drink Water.

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 1:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Change your socks. Stay motivated, hooah.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 9:17am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lightly moving the injured joint or muscle through it's full range of motion is now recommended over just resting it.

Eat right, take a multi, get lots of sleep. Healing takes time.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    Both my shins (the long muscle that runs on the side of the bone) are swollen up from checking kicks. I think I also pulled the achilles tendon or something on my right leg, or maybe I got kicked there I'm not sure, but I cannot do a calf stretch as it hurts too much.

I RICE'ed it last night, and I think it helped. But I need to heal fast, any suggestions?

Steroids are about the only medical modality which canl decrease healing time. If you are not prepared to do this, then quit your whining. Suck it up and don't be too concerned with how long it takes to heal. You'll be better off in the long run if you stop being stupid in training so as to prevent this from happening again.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 12:05pm

Style: Krav Maga & MACS

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    High doses of your preferred brand of ibuprofen (I usually do a 500 mg extra strength acetomenophen to 200 or 220 mg ibuprofen, but I hate my liver and don't really care about the consequences of doing this, because it relieves my pain better than 1800 mg of ibuprofen) combined with your preferred topical analgesic. I use extra strength bengay because that's what the PX has, but I have used horse liniment, icyhot, and even tiger balm in the past with success. Also, OD on oranges and bananas (oranges because I like them, bananas because they're high in potassium). Oh, and multivitamins.

Also, if you're going to stretch out, try stretching out during a really hot shower. Point the shower head at your trouble spot and stretch while scalding hot water is blasting it.
    Most of this is good advise. I would also wrap that tendon, they don't heal like muscles do. It is important that you take some type of anti-inflamatory(motrin, ibuprofen, whatever).
    Last edited by Moon Dragon; 2/02/2007 12:12pm at .

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 7:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah, wrap tendons and joints if that's what's damaged. Like the other guys said.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 7:15pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get shin splins from running, and the only **** that gets them to heal is to apply lots of icy-hot, massage them from the knee down to the ankle (deep massage, with the knuckles preferably... it hurts, but it works.) After that, apply an ACE wrap around them... rinse and repeat every few hours.

Since your pain comes from beating the **** out of something with your shins rather than just running, I'm sure it will take longer, but applying icy-hot and wrapping the shins should server as a form of relief.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    2/03/2007 9:41am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'll try out your suggestions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast