Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2007 2:32am

Style: Nothing currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A question for the Marines.

Hey everyone. I ship out to the Island on the 12th. I know I am getting way ahead of myself here, but I was just wondering what sort of MMA training bases offer? MCMAP doesn't look all that impressive and I was wondering if some bases have MMA gyms and such?

Also, are there any Kyokushin schools near base in Okinawa?

Thanks guys, I am very excited to get down to boot and earn the title Marine.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2007 8:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, mcmap

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The MCMAP they teach you at boot camp is pretty limited. I havent seen any experienced MCMAPers in real action, but it does teach lot of bjj as you get up in the belts, so its far from useless. I cant help you much about non military MMA places near bases, I havent heard of one on a base.

Around the bases I bet you could find some, provided you dont get stuck out in bumfvck (29 palms)

First I'd worry about getting through bootcamp and your MOS school after. What is your MOS?

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 4:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Nami Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most Marines treat MCMAP has a haze fest. When you get down to it, it has alot of grappling and bjj. I gotta agree though, get through PI first and when you get to where your stationed find a school. LeJeune doesn't have much but if your in SoCal there are gyms and schools all over.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 9:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MCMAP is McMAP

It isn't as bad as it could be, but most BJJ white belts with a month or two of training could take 99% of McMAP grads.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 7:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What camp are you going to be at? It all depends on where you will be. Hansen? Schwab? I must know!

PS: Most of the units that are either perm duty or UDP to Okinawa keep up with their Unit Website correspondence. Contact them for up to date info.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 8:06pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The stuff they teach you in basic is laughable at best (when I was in, it was called L.I.N.E. fighting and it sucked. I don't know what it is now, but I've heard it sucks too. I did see somewhere that the Marines have something similar to the Modern Army Combatives program, but don't know too many of the details. It's not something you'll just be taught though, perhaps some kind of special duty or school or something.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 8:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, what they're doing now is pretty different than L.I.N.E. training. They have belts and everything :)

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 8:32pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's good to hear. L.I.N.E. sucked.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 6:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Nami Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some things have remained, the standing techniques are alot of the same. A wrist lock is a wrist lock no matter what you call it. The majority of Marines aren't interested in it because it turns into a haze fest. All Marines are tan belts, and most NCO's are at least a green. I'm lucky that the instructors I've trained with have a background in something else and have incorparated that in their training.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 3:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by swkusmc
    Some things have remained, the standing techniques are alot of the same. A wrist lock is a wrist lock no matter what you call it. The majority of Marines aren't interested in it because it turns into a haze fest. All Marines are tan belts, and most NCO's are at least a green. I'm lucky that the instructors I've trained with have a background in something else and have incorparated that in their training.

That's good. I'd heard from a friend in the AF that is a Krav Maga instr for his unit that he liked what the USMC was doing a little better. Maybe for line units it is better, I don't know. He's gonna show me some of the pros & cons sometime soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast