Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 6:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi All

I'm new to the site and felt I had to register to clear a few things up about Choi kwang Do.
    Firstly, I'm remaining as anon as poss as I'm a current CKD Black Belt 2nd Dan after converting from TKD, as I want to reflect a very balanced opinion. Also, everything I say is meant to be good natured, and I'm NOT from GBCKD and have nothing to do with it (thats just popped up out of nowhere)

I converted to CKD because I had a ton of injuries from competitive TKD and liked what I read about CKD, plus had a great instructer near me (also converted from TKD).

Now, CKD HQ in the States does put out alot of bold talk about being the "most advanced" martial art etc, which I believe is a red rag to a bull to traditional arts. They're probably a bit head strong on this and I personally feel they should tone it down a bit, but think everyone on this forum needs to realise that CKD is a different entity to "martial arts". Its really a pretty advanced "health and fitness programme" that involves some really good self defence techniques and gives students confidence, self belief, good levels of fitness and general self improvement. Now as martial artists we really should respect ANYTHING that does that.

I really enjoy my CKD training but realise its not competing with TKD or other styles because of this non competitive nature.

In summary, to all of you getting upset on this forum, take it from me that the CKD instructors in the UK I've met and respect NEVER diss other arts. If you do visit a CKD school I think you'd meet some really nice instructors, but very different people to "us" traditional trained martial artists. I agree its a shame taht some websites are stating stuff like "its the most advanced martial art in the world" but dont get too upset about it, it'll NEVER replace the great traditional arts as, at the end of the day, some people do wanna stand up and trade punches and kicks, and you just cant do that in CKD. For people who are too old (like me), or dont want to do that anymore, its a realy nice form of exercise.

Hope that was balanced! Happy to answer q's if it helps clear things up further.

Cheers
    Nutkins
    Last edited by Nutkins; 2/14/2007 6:36am at .

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 7:44am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutkins
    Now, CKD HQ in the States does put out alot of bold talk about being the "most advanced" martial art etc, which I believe is a red rag to a bull to traditional arts. They're probably a bit head strong on this and I personally feel they should tone it down a bit, but think everyone on this forum needs to realise that CKD is a different entity to "martial arts". Its really a pretty advanced "health and fitness programme" that involves some really good self defence techniques and gives students confidence, self belief, good levels of fitness and general self improvement. Now as martial artists we really should respect ANYTHING that does that.
    i have no problem with martial arts clubs that teach without competition in mind. what i DO have a problem with is a health and fitness class masquerading as a martial arts club to draw punters. why? because when suzy CKD decides "what the hell, ill take the shortcut home through the park tonight" because she is confident in her abilites, then gets beaten down and raped, who is at fault? the rapist obviously but also the person who gave her the FALSE confidence. we all know how people are. you might say "martial arts is about learning and healing and blah blah blah" but there are always gonna be people who sign up, listen to that, act like they are up on the play, and then go and take stupid risks because they think they are hot ****.

now ive been in fights in and out of the ring and get hit on a regular basis fairly hard in training. i know exactly where my abilities stand, i know all about the advantages that size can give, and i know about what an adrenalin dump can do to someone. which is why i keep my skinny white ass out of the park at night. you think some suburban housewife whos never been in a confrontation more volatile than the time her mum got a bit too tipsy at christmas has any real idea about fighting and what they are capable of? no, but i bet your organisation will give them a black belt anyway. and thats EXACTLY what causes people to make dumbshit decisions that gets them jacked.

now im not saying you think this way, you seem pretty clued up. but the amount of people ive met who practice similar non contact arts and think they are hot **** (and this seems especially high amongst young ladies ive met) is almost frightening. the smug self confident "i can just kick them in the nuts" way of thinking is probably the one single thing that pisses me off the most about martial arts today.

/endrant

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 8:07am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alex, I think again this is where CKD is getting a hard time unfairly. You make some really valid points, but EVERY school I've attended in London and the South (UK)start training white belts with the mentality that you "avoid confrontation at ALL costs" and make people aware of dangerous situations "dark parks/ roads/ groups of rowdy teenagers etc" and get them to avoid them/ coss the street etc. thats all part od self defence/ preservation.

Again, its only at the schools I know in London and the South, but the black belts I know just dont have that Gung Ho attitute and I agree that its BS. If other CKD schools are teaching that mentality then their students are in for a shock,

Also, I should clarify what I mean by "confidence". I dont mean confidence to walk the streets and feel you wont get your head kicked in, I was taught in TKD and CKD to expect any other attacker to be some sort of ultimate fighter, never assume he's never had martial arts training. the confidence I'm talking about is day to day confidence at work, public speaking and in social situations. May sound like BS, sorry if it does, but being fit and beating the crap out of bag/ pads makes you better.

think it goes back to my original thought that CKD HQ and SOME Uk schools are a bit bold about what they teach (best in world etc), but certainly where I train its very much self improvement etc which,, again as I said before, isn't really martial arts as WE know it.

OK, I'm ramblin, but I hope you get my drift.

One more thing, I met "Grandmaster Choi" a few years ago. He's 64 years old and is truly an amazing martial artist (former TKD 6th dan or something), but perhaps he's got some bad advisors around him???????

Cheers

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 8:16am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They still need to change the wording on that website.

This thread never started out CKD bashing. We all know it's not really a Martial Art, and as long as it doesn't claim badassness, CKDers can carry on not touching each other till the cows come home.

But "proven to be the most effective martial art" claims exactly that, so it needs removing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 8:28am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can probably tell from what I've written before that I agree with you on that. I dont know the guys behind GBCKD, but I do know a couple of the guys in the Brighton school that are linked on that site, so will point them towards this forum and try and clear up some of the crap.

Awesomeweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 8:47am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ROAAARRRR I havn't been so pissed off since Hellman's brought out their Mayonaise IN A SQUEEZY FUCKING BOTTLE just too annoy me! AARRRGGHH

But this is serious kids: This is what is wrong with CKD - False hope + False Self-Confidence + No sparring = Dead CKD'er.

I will say nothing, but post a link (that has been on Bullshido before)

http://www.suttonckd.co.uk/on-the-streets.htm

Check that hot little mother out and then tell me if its safe to teach little sachets and dip-tubs this kind of stuff!

Last edited by Red Sauce; 2/14/2007 8:52am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 9:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus Christ, I've seen those still image things before and they are embarrasing.

Ok guys, I'll leave you with this. I practice CKD and I feel, as a former TKD 1st dan, that my techniques are faster and more powerful now than they were in TKD.

I dont think tapping achieves anything and have had too many kick ins to still do full contact sparring, so I've no way of proving that my techniques are better. Sorry, but hope I've give (some of) you an insight to what CKD is about and hope its been balanced enough for you to realise than not all us choiers beleive what HQ and some schools spout!

cheers
    Last edited by Nutkins; 2/14/2007 9:15am at .

Awesomeweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 9:17am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutkins
    Jesus Christ, I've seen those still image things before and they are embarrasing.

Ok guys, I'll leave you with this. I practice CKD and I feel, as a former TKD 1st dan, that my techniques are faster and more powerful now than they were in TKD.

I dont think taping achieves anything and have had too many kick ins to still do full contact sparring, so I've no way of proving that my techniques are better. Sorry, but hope I've give (some of) you an insight to what CKD is about and hope its been balanced enough for you to realise than not all us choiers beleive what HQ and some schools spout!

cheers

Listen, I have some words for you buddy:

Splinter Group = You might have t3h real CKD!

You heard it from me first, got it?

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 9:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the body is not ready for hits, the natural reaction is fear, when you actually get hit. the body doesn't know how to act. I study both contact and soft style. The only way to not fear hits in sparring is to get hit. Doesn't mean we beat each other to death, but gradually train are bodies to feel hits, then when we do get hit are body reacts different, we stay more focused.. So in conclusion we have to face the fear of getting hit, to survive getting hit. so to say you can do that with out, makes me wonder if theres something else there that is not being said, by that person who wrote the forum, from that school. Because if you match the website to the master it doesn't match. i'm from korea and I know of him and i think there is someone that mis lead what is really taught.. just my opion..

Jun Lee

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 9:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would someone please explain how CKD teaches effective self defense if practice does not involve contact?
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast