Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/01/2007 9:33am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nastyned
    They train on pads but when they spar they stop just short of actually hitting the other person.
    Your new to the site, so we will be easy on you. It's a sarcastic questions. On this site we deal with reality. A martial art is about fighting so how can you fight with out fighting. Ah, one of Bruce Lee's riddles. Way with no-way, etc..........

Posted On:
    2/01/2007 9:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They don't spar, far's I know. That's the most remarkable thing about it. Oh, and they also don't extend their legs fully when kicking, ever. Grandmaster Choi was brought up in TKD and nearly ruined his knees kicking to extension, so he removed the leg extension entirely.

That's what I've been told by Choiers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2007 9:54am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    Your new to the site, so we will be easy on you. It's a sarcastic questions. On this site we deal with reality. A martial art is about fighting so how can you fight with out fighting. Ah, one of Bruce Lee's riddles. Way with no-way, etc..........
    I've been lurking for a long while so flame away...

I am fully aware how pointless no contact 'fighting' is though. Which is why I do Thai Boxing.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/01/2007 10:35am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    They don't spar, far's I know. That's the most remarkable thing about it. Oh, and they also don't extend their legs fully when kicking, ever. Grandmaster Choi was brought up in TKD and nearly ruined his knees kicking to extension, so he removed the leg extension entirely.

There's some value in that. My little brother was in TKD with me for years and his knees are messed up so bad now that he pretty much only boxes. He's working on rebuilding them some so he can start throwing some low kicks and get into some more MT style stuff. But TKD round kicks and things like that he can't pull off any more. I managed to escape the knee damage because my favorite kick was the side kick, so I threw way fewer round kicks than he did.

Kintanon

Posted On:
    2/01/2007 2:01pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nastyned

I am fully aware how pointless no contact 'fighting' is though. Which is why I do Thai Boxing.
    Well "no-contact fighting" is not "fighting". It's LARPing. You did well by switching to Muay Thai.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2007 5:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    Well "no-contact fighting" is not "fighting". It's LARPing. You did well by switching to Muay Thai.
    Yup. :-)

poser

Posted On:
    2/01/2007 5:58pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma

If by Choi we mean General Choi Hong Hi, I doubt the guy who invented a majority of Taekwondo would do 180 like that, especially since he promoted TKD like nobody's business until the day he died.

But overextension can and will **** up your knees. Although in real sparring/fighting or even target training the full extension (except on straight-in kicks like side kicks) is often stopped anyway. Your hip is what provides most of the power. The extension just happens looks very nice and helps significantly with breaking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2007 6:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, the Choi being referred to here is Kwang Jo Choi who invented Choi Kwang Do and named it after himself.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    2/01/2007 6:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipster
    Did they say where CKD has been proven?
    It hasnt. It says that CKD is a no-contact, no sparring art. They arent trying to train people to fight. They teach them non violent solutions.

Posted On:
    2/01/2007 7:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    It hasnt. It says that CKD is a no-contact, no sparring art. They arent trying to train people to fight. They teach them non violent solutions.
    Which means they will get their arse kicked in a confrontation.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast