Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 8:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But if you promise it and can't show proof of having it (in an escrow), they'll use it as an excuse to back out. Of course, you're still going to get the, "We don't do it for money" bullshit, which translates into, "We don't do it for money offered by anyone other than our students."
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 10:28pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I knew guy at my secondary school who trained in CKD at Kensington Sports centre under Marshall Pereira when he still taught in England.

This was in 1990/1 and he got to blue belt but had to go back to Yugoslavia as his father's work was finished in London.

They wanted him to get to at least Brown Belt and open a school in his home country.

I had NO idea they did not spar though?
    Perhaps they did back then, Pereira had only recently converted his TKD club to CKD.

When looking at the self defense video clips on their websites I doubt I have seen such lacklustre stuff elsewhere. The attackers "attack" with less realism and poor effort only to be twarted by funny looking kicking techniques that don't make any contact.

There is a WORLD of difference between someone placing their hands gently on or around your body and compliantly removing them when you "strike" back and actually being grabbed by an agressor!

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 10:41pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never heard back from them by the way, surprise surprise.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 11:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    There's some value in that. My little brother was in TKD with me for years and his knees are messed up so bad now that he pretty much only boxes. He's working on rebuilding them some so he can start throwing some low kicks and get into some more MT style stuff. But TKD round kicks and things like that he can't pull off any more. I managed to escape the knee damage because my favorite kick was the side kick, so I threw way fewer round kicks than he did.

Kintanon
    :S

Seriously? How does this messing up of knees happen? My knees aren't great anyway but I feel they're getting worse and I'm not to keen to screw them beyond repair.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 5:09pm

Style: Five Animal Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Because when suzy CKD decides "what the hell, ill take the shortcut home through the park tonight" because she is confident in her abilites, then gets beaten down and raped, who is at fault? the rapist obviously but also the person who gave her the FALSE confidence.

Can we stop with the "If a woman doesn't know how to fight/trains Bullshido, she gets raped" argument?

Rape is terrible and just because a woman doesn't know how to fight/trains in Bullshido doesn't mean she deserves it.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 5:32pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reboot
    Can we stop with the "If a woman doesn't know how to fight/trains Bullshido, she gets raped" argument?

Rape is terrible and just because a woman doesn't know how to fight/trains in Bullshido doesn't mean she deserves it.

Nobody said she did. Start a thread if you want to discuss it, this is the wrong one for that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 6:20pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Non-contact, non fighting" how the **** can it be the "most effective martial art in the world"????

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 11:20am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CKD's claims to be the most effective martial art in the world are not, of course, based on any actual fighting. I think the claim is made because the CKD techniques were supposedly worked out with the help of a sport scientist so they'll develop maximum power. Don't think you'll find any references though!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 11:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey
    :S

Seriously? How does this messing up of knees happen? My knees aren't great anyway but I feel they're getting worse and I'm not to keen to screw them beyond repair.
    Everytime you extend your kick, you put a heavy strain on the ligaments that hold your knee together and prevents it from bending backwards. If these are overstrained and not given the time to heal (if you're into sports, you know how long it takes, and it's more than 2 days after a class), they can deteriorate and end up impossible to heal fully.

When I did Shotokan/Kempo I enjoyed using roundhouse kicks a whole damn lot with my left leg. My knee hurt for about 4 years. Now it's allright (so it's not always chronic damage), but you must take care if you wanna be able to play with your kids when you get older.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 12:30pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I met the guy who started CKD, my brothers were in it when they were little. A disgrace, they don't even fight, just with their little form s and combinations.... eww... Just beat up the instructor.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112 LastLast