poser

Posted On:
    1/31/2007 9:57pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Westchester Martial Arts - Elite Defensive Tactics

http://www.elitedefensivetactics.com/Gary-gione.html
    Does anyone who lives in the Westchester/Hudson Valley area know anything about this place? Because I live no more than 15 minutes from this place, and am interested in learning a more practical martial art to supplement the TKD, since that doesn't do much in the way of self-defense.

But honestly how legit does this guy look to you experienced Bullshido-ers? I don't have the time do a real check right now, but it doesn't look so bad, even though I couldn't find anything on the "Police Olympics." I'm only bringing this up because some aspects of the school seem a little too good to be true, such as the huge variety of martial arts taught. And the head instructor's qualifications look somewhat inflated. Again, I'm not necessarily going to call him out or anything. I'm just kind of skeptical.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2007 10:17pm

Style: TKD BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He claims George Dillman in his family tree, so that is a red flag right there. Among his instructors he has two high school kids who are black belts - another problem area. If you want something practical in Westchester, check out

http://www.nydefendu.com/bjjcsw.html

It's a BJJ school run by a police officer also, who is still active in the force. It's a great school, with serious people, and nobody disputes the effectiveness of BJJ.

Posted On:
    1/31/2007 10:43pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard good things about Steve K. when he was still affiliated with Royce and Rorin. BTW, thanks for the link weechy, good to see you around even though we don't agree on Perkins.

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    1/31/2007 11:28pm

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.nydefendu.com/bjjcsw.html Is an affiliate of my school (Balance Studios in Philly) and I've heard great things. I haven't heard anything about the otehr school and don't like to comment based on the site alone. But if you're interested in schools in that area I'd definately check out nydefendu.

Posted On:
    2/01/2007 7:22pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he is promoted by George Dillman, thats a sign of Bullshido right there. Then a 5th dan junior Black Belt is bullshit to. Why all all the instructors, that always bothers me. It's like he is padding his resume. I'd stay away.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2007 11:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    I've heard good things about Steve K. when he was still affiliated with Royce and Rorin. BTW, thanks for the link weechy, good to see you around even though we don't agree on Perkins.
    Actually, we agree on Perkins a lot more than you think :-) That whole verbal sparring bit a few years ago opened my eyes, got me to rethink what I was doing there, and led me to enrolling in a BJJ school. I think I've mentioned before on this site how the folks on this site prevented me from wasting my time with unverified training methods, and going to something that is a million times more relevant and fun.

But Steve Kardian is a great guy - he's with Phil Migliarese right now, and got some really serious grapplers in his school. Plus, he's salt of the earth - no ego or anything - just training and showing his stuff on the mat.

Posted On:
    2/01/2007 11:57pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You were the only one at the time who was sympathetic to him so to speak that didn't come across as a idiot.

I know, a back handed complement but one non-the-less. :)

Posted On:
    2/01/2007 11:59pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to train with Jim Hughes in Hartford, Steve will know who that is:)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 12:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    You were the only one at the time who was sympathetic to him so to speak that didn't come across as a idiot.

I know, a back handed complement but one non-the-less. :)
    Hehehe...hey, I'm still embarrassed to admit that I used to train with the guy, but I'm thankful that I've moved on to better things :-)

I'll probably see Steve next week...I'll definitely mention Jim Hughes. Funny, I was out in Hartford a couple of months ago and was thinking of sneaking away from my wife to spend a couple of hours at his school, but had no such luck :angel7: Small world, eh?

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 1:52am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, BTW I think you are the only medical doctor posting on the board right now.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast