Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 12:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wakinonioi
    The 'jutsu' people are correct, the rest are just being stipid.

Okay first...

LOL! (especially 'stipid' over 'stupid')

Now second ...

:biblethum :biblethum :biblethum :biblethum :biblethum

THE JAPANESE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT GET TO DECIDE WHAT IS OR IS NOT ENGLISH!

Insisting that Jujutsu is RIGHT :biblethum and Jujitsu/Jiu Jitsu/Zhoo Zheet Zhoo is WRONG :biblethum is no different than a French man arguing that saying 'gil-uh-teen' is wrong. It's not. It's English. Just because the alternate 'gee-uh-teen' pronunciation just so happens to match the French pronunciation of a word of French origin does not make one correct over the other for anyplace other than in France.

You can't even reasonably argue that 'Jujitsu' is obsolete - it's still in use! That's like a French engineer arguing that S.A.E. measurements units are wrong just because France adopted the metric standard.

Are you French in France? Do you want to be?
    Are you Japanese in Japan? Do you want to be?

(A pedantic MAP-ish argument done 'Bullshido style' can be amusing once in a while, IMO. :biggrin: )
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 6:39am

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Okay first...

LOL! (especially 'stipid' over 'stupid')

Now second ...

:biblethum :biblethum :biblethum :biblethum :biblethum

THE JAPANESE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT GET TO DECIDE WHAT IS OR IS NOT ENGLISH!

Insisting that Jujutsu is RIGHT :biblethum and Jujitsu/Jiu Jitsu/Zhoo Zheet Zhoo is WRONG :biblethum is no different than a French man arguing that saying 'gil-uh-teen' is wrong. It's not. It's English. Just because the alternate 'gee-uh-teen' pronunciation just so happens to match the French pronunciation of a word of French origin does not make one correct over the other for anyplace other than in France.

You can't even reasonably argue that 'Jujitsu' is obsolete - it's still in use! That's like a French engineer arguing that S.A.E. measurements units are wrong just because France adopted the metric standard.

Are you French in France? Do you want to be?
    Are you Japanese in Japan? Do you want to be?

(A pedantic MAP-ish argument done 'Bullshido style' can be amusing once in a while, IMO. :biggrin: )
    So, if someone in another western language wants to write jujutsu/jitsu/zheetsu... he shouldn't ask the japanese how to better match it in the Roman alphabet because, well, they don't get to decide what's english, right?
    Last edited by Shinshoryu; 2/24/2007 6:41am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 7:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Found this here: http://www.furyu.com/wayne/Seifukan/.../notes001.html

Jujutsu is more properly used than the Westernized word "jujitsu," which in Japanese characters, doesn't really mean anything. It's only one letter in English, but will change a whole Chinese character in Japanese. Jujutsu means the method (jutsu) of suppleness; not necessarily yielding or weakness. The "ju-" is the same character as that used in judo.

One should make a distinction between the various classical jujutsu styles, as well as differentiate between gendai, or modern, jujutsu and classical (koryu) jujutsu. Whether or not any one particular system is inherently better than another is a matter of opinion, and of course it will vary from practitioner to practitioner. However, this does not necessarily mean we should leave our judgment at the door. We should assess each and every martial arts we encounter and quickly size up the technical worth of that particular ryu. Modern jujutsu, or "jujitsu" schools, as they label themselves, tend to be somewhat simplified, and sports and/or self-defense oriented. On the other hand, some classical koryu jujutsu schools may have become little more than shells of their original due to the low level of its subsequent teachers.

Most such jujitsu schools in the West are based upon some rudiments or subsets of Kodokan judo, developed further by the founders of those schools. Therefore, in my opinion, they display markers that to a discerning eye, can place the techniques as derivative of judo. That is not to say that they are ineffective, as classical judo itself was derived from koryu jujutsu, distilled and refined into what I would say was the "best of the best" techniques for tournament contests.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 9:10am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinshoryu
    So, if someone in another western language wants to write jujutsu/jitsu/zheetsu... he shouldn't ask the japanese how to better match it in the Roman alphabet because, well, they don't get to decide what's english, right?

Yes, pretty much. In fact, if you look it up in other languages which also use a phonetic alphabet, you will find more variations of what is the "accepted" transliteration and "accepted" pronunciation of just this one phrase.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    2/25/2007 11:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Swedish Sport Ju-Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I once trained Jido before I started Ju-jutsu. Really fun throwing people around. Or was it jiudo? Maybe jodo? No, there were no sticks involved... I'm confused... Glad I found Ju-jutsu anyway!

Posted On:
    3/21/2007 6:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: free style ma jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i say its a draw dose it matter on the mat

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/16/2007 12:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jujutsu is the correct Japanese lingo.

Jitsu is how foreigners pronounce it.

look it up in a dictionary, you can even find it online.

JuJutsu
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567