Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 6:27pm

Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to apologize in advance since I know this is an area dedicated to Japanese arts and I practice the Korean art of Hapkido. However, I thought I would mention something because I am finding few (and fewer) Hapkido schools focus on the breathing activities (K. "Dan jeon breathing"). My sense is that this comes from an ignorance of the applications of these breathing techniques. No where is this more evident that in what you folks are discussing here.

In yu-sool-level Hapkido the idea of being gripped is not something a person actually finds desireable. In fact I bluntly tell my students that if they wait until they are grabbed in a fight, it is often too d*** late! However, in the next level of Hapkido ("hapkiyusool") one actual wants to be grabbed so as to assure himself that he is capable of executing the proper wrist escape (K. "somok paegi") in sync with the rest of the technique. These higher wrist escapes are performed in both an inside and outside fashion meaning that they are done both close to and away from one's centerline. The breathing techniques incorporate the physical motion of the escape as a memory device as in much the same fashion as Japanese kata retain "hidden meanings" in some of their motions. Sadly, though, I must repeat that focus on these techniques is rapidly disappearing as people learn only gross-motor skills of techniques and fail to learn the finer mechanics. No real point here. Just tossing into the conversation fwiw.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 6:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the Shudokan (They're called Tomiki too, neh?) they randori the way randori should be randori'ed.
    Shudokan = Yoshinkan -Shioda style-

Shodokan = Tomiki style

Different branches; the randori guys are Shodokan ones (aka shodothugs)

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 6:39pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    o.o??? Huh??? You've lost me here. Are we talking about proper breathing when executing a wrist escape or not letting someone get them at all? Because in Judo Randori that's just silly. And what's a gross motor skill? Is this about kata? Why does breathing gain memory? I am just completely confused on this one here.

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 6:46pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 11:05pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    Shudokan = Yoshinkan -Shioda style-

Shodokan = Tomiki style

Different branches; the randori guys are Shodokan ones (aka shodothugs)
    Thanks for the clarification. (For the record I like those Shodothugs, they're almost Judo! or as I like to put it... Closer to Kimura)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 9:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, maybe I did more damage than good.

The point that I was wanting to make is that in Hapkido we also have "wrist escapes" and one can see them as part and parcel of the breathing techniques ("dan jeon breathing") that we do. The problem is that most people do not know or recognize those "wrist escape" motions for what they are and fewer teachers are teaching about them as time goes on. Does this help?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Bullshido Administrator

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 9:50am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Bullshido's Ninja

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by glad2bhere
    I'm going to apologize in advance since I know this is an area dedicated to Japanese arts and I practice the Korean art of Hapkido.
    As Hapkido is just a Korean copy of Jujutsu, you can stay. At least until I get annoyed with you and feed you to DerAuslander.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 10:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjew
    As Hapkido is just a Korean copy of Jujutsu, you can stay. At least until I get annoyed with you and feed you to DerAuslander.
    Much Grass! :icon_salu

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 12:44pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by glad2bhere
    Sorry, maybe I did more damage than good.

The point that I was wanting to make is that in Hapkido we also have "wrist escapes" and one can see them as part and parcel of the breathing techniques ("dan jeon breathing") that we do. The problem is that most people do not know or recognize those "wrist escape" motions for what they are and fewer teachers are teaching about them as time goes on. Does this help?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    No problem with Hapkido but i'm still lost.

What does breathing techniques ("dan jeon breathing") mean?. Further ellaboration or video could help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 1:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dan Jeon breathing are a series of conditioning methods not altogether unlike the IBUKI Breathing found in some Okinawan arts. Effectively its what we Westerners would call "isokinetic" exercise. The reason I brought it up was that the hand movements that are done during each exercise are actually "wrist escapes" that are later utilized in the execution of hapkiyusool techniques. Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast