Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 5:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A dilema

I recently started going back to my university Judo club. On the whole, it's a good club with decent drills, lots of randori etc. The ne-waza leaves a bit to be desired though. Anyway, we were doing ne-waza drills and the instructor demonstrates (to the class) an americana from inside the guard and in doing so reaches right across the body in a "please armbar the **** out of me" sort of way.

My dilema is this. Should I have spoken up about this and pointed out the flaw? Bear in mind that the instructor isn't some massively experienced nth dan grand-master but another student like myself. Furthermore, it's more or less acknoweldged that I've got more groundfighting experience than anyone else at the class. On the other hand, it's not my class and I'm not a well-established regular. In the end I said nothing in front of the class and just drilled the move as shown but had a quiet word with my partner about the dangers of getting caught in an armbar. I'm interested as to how other people would have handled this.

Flame away.
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 5:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just get t3h armb4rz when he tries it on you during randori.

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 5:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Can you show that to me please?"

"Why sure, you just put your arm across like this.....HEY"

"TAP OR SNAP, YOUR CHOICE!"

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffguard
    I recently started going back to my university Judo club. On the whole, it's a good club with decent drills, lots of randori etc. The ne-waza leaves a bit to be desired though. Anyway, we were doing ne-waza drills and the instructor demonstrates (to the class) an americana from inside the guard and in doing so reaches right across the body in a "please armbar the **** out of me" sort of way.

My dilema is this. Should I have spoken up about this and pointed out the flaw? Bear in mind that the instructor isn't some massively experienced nth dan grand-master but another student like myself. Furthermore, it's more or less acknoweldged that I've got more groundfighting experience than anyone else at the class. On the other hand, it's not my class and I'm not a well-established regular. In the end I said nothing in front of the class and just drilled the move as shown but had a quiet word with my partner about the dangers of getting caught in an armbar. I'm interested as to how other people would have handled this.

Flame away.
    Dude, there is no much of a dilemma. Next time ask (preferably before or after class), talk to him about that same technique and discuss with him about the flaw. If it is well established that you have more ground experience than anybody else, I'm sure people will hear what you have to say (provided you are polite).

And since it's his class/group, not yours, by discussing this in private/semi-private manner for a few minutes, you give the chance to correct the error without appearing to be a dude trying to establish some dominance game ****.

If you do in this manner, who knows. Maybe you get invited to help others in their ground game.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 5:39pm

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your University club is anything like mine you'd speak up if you saw a problem. We do that with ours all the time and if we don't agree on something we often roll to see if the technique actually works. I don't see how pointing out a flaw is disrespectful if you're right, just think of it as helping everyone else out.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All good points. Like I said though, this was my first time back in a while. I just didn't want to come across as too cocky or know-it-all right off the bat. A few more weeks to get re-established and it wouldn't have been an issue.
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 5:45pm

Style: Uechi Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Dude, there is no much of a dilemma. Next time ask (preferably before or after class), talk to him about that same technique and discuss with him about the flaw. If it is well established that you have more ground experience than anybody else, I'm sure people will hear what you have to say (provided you are polite).

And since it's his class/group, not yours, by discussing this in private/semi-private manner for a few minutes, you give the chance to correct the error without appearing to be a dude trying to establish some dominance game ****.

If you do in this manner, who knows. Maybe you get invited to help others in their ground game.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. I may not do judo, but I do teach class's. Share the flaw, if he is worth his salt, he will listen, and make the changes needed.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 5:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    El Macho beat me to it . . . curses!!!

Be polite and talk to him after/before class.

Good teachers in my experience WANT this feedback. One now Venerable Senior-Senior-Senior-Senior tells a story about how he became "t3h d34dly" way back in the late sixties--he was . . . a NI-DAN!!! [!--Ed.]. Anyways none of his students could defeat him, and I think he cured a few sick children with his tears.

So he eagerly enters a tournament. As he put it:

A Japanese guy who did not know who I was, nor, frankly, cared, promptly buried a kick in my stomach, sending me out of the ring unable to catch my breath!

I realized my students were not testing me at all.
    basically, he lapsed into the false sense of security of compliant training--when you do not know it is compliant.

A good teacher is a good student who is still learning and trying to refine his technique. One who does not respond to good criticism is not a good teacher.

--J.D.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 6:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HearWa
    If your University club is anything like mine you'd speak up if you saw a problem. We do that with ours all the time and if we don't agree on something we often roll to see if the technique actually works. I don't see how pointing out a flaw is disrespectful if you're right, just think of it as helping everyone else out.

Well there's a fine line. I have a guy who tries to be the class no-it-all, although unlike Liffguard, doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Basically his argument against every move is "what if he's not wearing a gi" which sets off the same repeated gi vs no-gi lecture every class.

It's one thing asking a genuine question, and quite another to ask loaded questions meant to embarrass the instructor. The problem here is that Liffguard had a genuine question, but he feared it would appear to be an attack (because he is...well, calling BS on the move) rather than a concern.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 6:52pm

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Either what everyone else has always said or phrase a question in a way that doesn't make him look stupid - "Do I want to move this way to avoid a potential armbar counter, or is this way better?"
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast