Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Total Noob

Style
    Gun Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Total Noob

Hello everyone, here's my first noob post.

I've off and on practised MA for many years. Never stayed with any one style and there are huge gaps in my training, but I really enjoy the workouts and someday may actually get somewhere. :laughing5

In surfing through the threads I find that my past training probably won't be too popular here as most of my experience is from a McDojo TKD, Kelly Worden's old UKS and Archibeques Gun Fu. But what the heck, it's the journey right? :sad10:

Style
    Rehab
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was a thread recently on Archibeques Gun Fu, but it wasn't very informative. Sounded a little silly though.

Lots of Bullshido members did crappy, ineffective MA's for many years before finding something decent, myself included. It's not all bad - now you've trained in some ****, you can train in something with proven results, compare the two, and your bullshit-o-meter will be super fine tuned! You can't lose. How old are you now?

Welcome to Bullshido. If you have a thick skin, you'll love it. If you don't, you'll run home crying.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trolling.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Style
    Rehab
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Surely not. All that effort. Fingers sore.

Style
    Gun Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    Trolling.
    Uhmmm.... no.

Totally serious......

Was in one of the Kim's TKD schools in Western Washington about 1984 for awhile.

Then spent 2+ years back in the late 80s with Kelly Worden when he ran United Karate Systems in University Place/Tacoma WA.

Later we moved to the Olympia area and studied with the Archibeque Gun Fu guys over the last couple years (the class I was in disbanded last April). Though it wasn't with Archibeque himself, he had retired a couple years earlier, it was with Rusty Doris, one of his higher ranked instructors and a few of the other BBs who'd stop in every few weeks to work out with Rusty.

I started lurking on the Bullshido site because it seemed pretty realistic and figured I'd register and say Hi.

Quote Originally Posted by RunningDog
    How old are you now?
    Just hit the big 40

If you have a thick skin, you'll love it. If you don't, you'll run home crying.
    Flaming has never bothered me, guess I keep to that old creedo "arguing on the interent is like winning the Special Olympics....."

T N

Style
    Rehab
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the ARchibeque stuff like? Do you think it works? Any ego or cult issues?

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    allright allright...benefit of the doubt given.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Style
    Rehab
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    allright allright...benefit of the doubt given.
    You're a little cynical in your old age. It's understandable, the trolls have been attacking in hordes this week.

Style
    Sanda, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're not a cynical person by nature you don't really belong on the Bullshido forums.

Style
    Gun Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningDog
    What's the ARchibeque stuff like? Do you think it works? Any ego or cult issues?
    I thought it was very cool and was more brutal than any others I'd seen, but my experience is also limited to the off and on training I have done. We had quite a few people who came in from other styles that were shocked and love it, but I think it was over many lower rank belts heads and many didn't like the pain.

Egos issues? We only met Archibeque a couple times over the last few years and he was extremely gracious to us. He seems to have immense respect in the Northwest from just about everybody I've ever heard from. That's how we ended up in his class, hearing about him from Kelly Worden and other Tacoma area instructors back in the late 80's of this old guy in Olympia that broke stacks of bricks and river rocks and would take on and whip anybody. When we moved to Oly we tracked down some of his instructors. Most of the instructors we met were very nice, but we were also very humble as we are only students.

Not sure what you mean by cult issues? It seemed to me that they really encouraged outside training to see other arts and what they have to offer. They also were really up on changing techniques slightly to meet different body types and physical traits. But they are very family like and if you put in your time, blood, sweat and tears, you were taken in. I am not sure if my son and I were there quite enough over the last couple years to fit in that bit.

I don't want to get into another lapse between training so I've been going over Kata and techniques and hope to find another one of their instructors who are taking new students, I'd like to learn more from these guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last