Posted On:
    9/10/2008 6:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Daido juku Kudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Still sticking to the old helmet. Looks too damn awesome

Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    For the fog problem go to a paintbal store and get anti-fog spray, they use it on paintball masks for the same reason. Or a sporting goods store might have it in the hunting section.

You just spray a coat on the inside of the mask, it dries on, and no more fogging.

Cheers for that

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 2:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Kudo, I posted this in another thread about Kudo headgear, but never got a response, take a look if you don't mind and see if you can answer any of this:

Hey, I'm necroing this up. Sorry in advance this is going to be long, but I've got quite a few questions:

I just (as in I'm sitting here all dripping blood out of my gauze wrapped nose) had nasal surgery to repair a deviated septum due to broken nose x2. I obviously can't afford to reconstruct my nose on a regular basis (and from what I understand it's going to be slightly weaker structurally now with cartilage cut away) so I want to wear a space helmet to protect my investment.

For the time being I bought one of these: http://www.bushipower.com/page/BS/PROD/A8924

It's surprisingly not too bad, not as shock absorbent as boxing headgear, but not as bad as one would think. It held up just fine through one fairly hard sparring session, but I'm still not totally convinced the face mask won't shatter if someone belts the **** out of me, especially with a kick. I don't suppose anyone has used this one before and can offer an opinion?

Anyways, some questions about Kudo headgear:

1. I'm curious if anyone has found a U.S. distributor for Daido Juku helmets (either the old version or the new), because $168 + shipping from Japan more than a little steep. I've found a few sites, but they're all imported from Japan or Europe.

2. Apparently Tokaido makes a very good (cheaper?) copy of the old version (see: http://www.kw2.com.hk/product.php?id2=40&id=168), but this site offers no prices (distributor only?) and neither the U.S. nor Japanese Tokaido site (nor anyone else) seems to have it for sale. Neither site returned my emails inquiring about it either.

3. I know the new Daido Juku helmet has a shoelace system in the back (which I hate). I can't find a rear view of the old version though. Is it lace-up or velcro/hook & loop?

4. I've got a fairly big (but not huge) head so I'm concerned if I do wind up getting a space helmet helmet for an obscene amount of money it won't fit because the sizing is being judged according to diminutive Japanese people. Anyone who owns one, just how big is their large? (I can fit into most companies' large headgears np, but I've occasionally encountered brands where even an extra-large didn't fit.)

They offer a sizing chart on their site (http://www.daidojuku.com/eng/index.htm), but it is absolutely confusing as ****. God knows why they can't just give you an estimate of the interior space via crown circumference like hat sizing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2008 10:52am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to admit that the price + shipping is too high (especially if you dont have the practicioner's price, which is a 10%-20% discount).

You can get the russian made Supersafe, its the exact same. The only difference is that the faceguard gets scratched up easily (ergo less vision).

This guy http://www.bushipower.com/page/BS/PROD/A8924 is really cool if youre using boxing gloves. Because you wont have the fogging up problem and you can see more. I wanted to buy one but when i tested it at the shop it seemed pretty dangerous for the opponent because of the eye slots. You can easily **** up your hand if youre using Kudo gloves (Chuck Norris gloves or MMA gloves would work fine). Also, it seems fragile and if one shard of that plastic breaks off during a fight you can kiss one of your eyes goodbye.

I bought the original japanese one because I didnt want to risk other brands with weaker faceguards. The japanese helmet will only crack to a sledgehammer or some retarded nuclear **** (Fedoron on steroids).

Jukocho Azuma actually got the helmet design and concept off of some 80's form of karate (Kakuri, Kakato ? something with a K). If they still exist then check their store, check Zendo Kai aswell (knockoff Kudo prolly has good knockoff helmets).

The Japanese helmets dont come without laces, even the new one has laces and velcro together.
    The russian one only has velcro, which worsens the helmet's stability, especially when groundfighting.

The old japanese helmet is one-size-fits-all i guess.. We all have different head sizes in my dojo and we share helmets all the time.

Lemme know if I covered everything or not

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2008 10:54am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Google "Supersafe Headguard".. youll find tons.

http://www.alsgym.co.uk/super-safe-h...ard-p-262.html

this one seems ok to me... and affordable

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2008 11:09am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was called Koshiki Karate.. I only heard it in a russian accent so I cant help you much with the spelling.

Phonetically it was something like "KOH-SHI-KEE"

good luck

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2008 11:25am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    For the fog problem go to a paintbal store and get anti-fog spray, they use it on paintball masks for the same reason. Or a sporting goods store might have it in the hunting section.

You just spray a coat on the inside of the mask, it dries on, and no more fogging.
    There's a simpler, old school paintball solution. Put some clear stick anti-perspirant on each cheek under your eyes. Anti-fog sprays and thermal lenses are not always enough to get the job done :( The deoderant works amazingly well, and I've never had a problem with it getting in my eyes (hint: don't put it on your forehead).

Posted On:
    9/11/2008 11:50am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kudo
    I have to admit that the price + shipping is too high (especially if you dont have the practicioner's price, which is a 10%-20% discount).

You can get the russian made Supersafe, its the exact same. The only difference is that the faceguard gets scratched up easily (ergo less vision).

This guy http://www.bushipower.com/page/BS/PROD/A8924 is really cool if youre using boxing gloves. Because you wont have the fogging up problem and you can see more. I wanted to buy one but when i tested it at the shop it seemed pretty dangerous for the opponent because of the eye slots. You can easily **** up your hand if youre using Kudo gloves (Chuck Norris gloves or MMA gloves would work fine). Also, it seems fragile and if one shard of that plastic breaks off during a fight you can kiss one of your eyes goodbye.

I bought the original japanese one because I didnt want to risk other brands with weaker faceguards. The japanese helmet will only crack to a sledgehammer or some retarded nuclear **** (Fedoron on steroids).

Jukocho Azuma actually got the helmet design and concept off of some 80's form of karate (Kakuri, Kakato ? something with a K). If they still exist then check their store, check Zendo Kai aswell (knockoff Kudo prolly has good knockoff helmets).

The Japanese helmets dont come without laces, even the new one has laces and velcro together.
    The russian one only has velcro, which worsens the helmet's stability, especially when groundfighting.

The old japanese helmet is one-size-fits-all i guess.. We all have different head sizes in my dojo and we share helmets all the time.

Lemme know if I covered everything or not
    Yeah, I definitely wouldn't wear this thing for all-out contact for fear of it shattering. I think it's okay for fairly hard medium though if you use mma training gloves and
    better-than-cloth shin/instep.

I've googled supersafe a million times, but have never been able to find a us distributor, just imports, but at least that site you linked is in English and the price is a bit better and it has the old style.

I guess I just need to suck it up, and pay about $150 when it's all over. It's not like I need this tommorow or anything, and maybe someone will give me a discount if I order 4 or so for a small class in the hopefully not too far off future, even if it's not officlal kudo.

Thanks.
    Last edited by maofas; 9/11/2008 11:53am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 12:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas
    Yeah, I definitely wouldn't wear this thing for all-out contact for fear of it shattering. I think it's okay for fairly hard medium though if you use mma training gloves and
    better-than-cloth shin/instep.

Dude... It cant break... try to find one story of that happening to a Kudo helmet

Osu

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 2:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kudo
    Dude... It cant break... try to find one story of that happening to a Kudo helmet

Osu
    No, I mean the pro-force one with the eye cut-outs, as a make-do till I get a (set of) Kudo helmets.

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    9/12/2008 2:51pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rsobrien
    Visibility when using as a play space helmet, it did not fog. Wandering through my house shooting everyone with a rubberband gun and randomly headbutting things the vision remained clear.

It is weird though. The mask forces your mouth shut. You cannot open you mouth easily when wearing it. It fits around your jaw line. Its nice beuase it forces you to breathe through you nose, but I have a cold.

I do not see this thing breaking. I hit my fridge, my brother's shoulder, my dog, front door (steel wrapped wood). No cracks or nothing.

It is really fun. But I would not pay the ridiculoous price for it. I got it for my birthday so its still cool. Just not $150 shipped cool. Also, I got mine in white but I wish I had gotten it in red.
    Is there video of this yet?

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast