Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Style
    None yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Another Noob to Bullshido

Hey there everyone. Decided to join up with this site about 5 minutes ago. I don't train/practice any MA as of right now but I was hoping to get some advice on what to start in on. Now just to give ya a little background, I am 18 years old 6 ft 1 inch tall and I weigh about 235 (Fat one ain't I). So I was just wondering which MA would be a good start for me. But anyway I hope to get to know all of you better and get into many a heated discussion.

TKDBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome aboard, Sick_Sabbat! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

Style
    BJJ n00b
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TDKbot is what? Banned or something?

Everyone here knows that the cool people do BJJ. It's accepted that it might be ok if you do some other style, as long as they do hard sparring and train "live." Oh, and everyone thinks that Judo has merit, even though the tournie sport rules suck.

So what part of the earth are you living on?
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    None yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Livin in the US in Ohio....horrible place. I was kind of saddened to read all your opinions on Wing Chun. I believe that all traditional styles have merit in at least one category. BJJ? Brazilian Ju Jitsu I am assuming? Well either way my town is small and limited on what we have....We have 2 schools...both small. One is Tae Kwon Do....the other one is you guessed it Karate.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i refuse to believe there is no boxing gym in your town. go and look.

Style
    boxing noob, muay thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you should check out some combat sports it will teach you how to fight good instead of how to dance

look up muay thai,bjj,boxing,judo,sambo or styles close to that
    see what you prefer and check out the schools

Style
    Mongolian
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Sabbat
    Livin in the US in Ohio....horrible place. I was kind of saddened to read all your opinions on Wing Chun. I believe that all traditional styles have merit in at least one category. BJJ? Brazilian Ju Jitsu I am assuming? Well either way my town is small and limited on what we have....We have 2 schools...both small. One is Tae Kwon Do....the other one is you guessed it Karate.
    I think Alex has a good point, boxing would be a good idea. I recommend boxing over TKD over Karate. But it would be nice to learn how to kick wouldn't it? There are also people that have martial arts experience, are very good, but don't run schools or actively teach. After training you may notice some of those types, they may have something to offer. I guess it depends on how small your town is.

As far as Wing Chun compared to other traditional styles, traditional styles disprespect WC by calling it a drill. Some traditional styles are good but most of the teachers teach everything through forms (not recommended). There are some good traditional schools/styles out there, some even have groundfighting (too rare to waste much time looking for good groundfighting from a tradional style though).

My advice is to avoid contracts and start training. Good luck.

Style
    None yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing doesn't really intrest me (strange I know)) And I know alot of the people in this boxing thing in my town..just a club. No real discipline or training involved. I want to go to a school where there is extremely strenuous training involved. (And now for my rebuttal on the Asian dance topic)) I understand that alot of Traditional martial arts look like just dance. Let's just say I am not only in it for the combat effectiveness. Which hell....any of em against a gun kinda fail. (Disarming techinques aside) My belief is that anything if used in the right situation can be effective. I would never confine myself to one style. I am just looking for a starting point in chinese/japanese traditional martial arts.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lots of styles have lots to do with choreography and nothing to do with combat. All techniques tend to be learned in "bullet time", wherever you train, i.e. your opponent freezes and lets you do what you're trying to do. Styles that never progress beyond that to full-contact sparring may be arts with a martial flavour, but they're not for fighting with. It's like being taught by a swimming coach who shows you the strokes at the side of the pool, but refuses to let you ever get in the water.

If it absolutely must be an Asian art, look for judo (it's everywhere) and muay thai. The reason people associate black belts with ass-kicking is judo, which invented the black belt and gi and featured in a ton of challenge matches in its first few decades of existence. With other arts, too often the black belt is merely protective colouration.

Also, please understand that "traditional" arts in most cases aren't. Karate wasn't taught in Japan until the 1930s. Aikido was founded in 1942, Tae Kwon Do in 1955. Actual documented evidence for the existence of many of the kung fu systems before the 20th century is wholly missing. Boxing, on the other hand, dates back before the Marquis of Queensbury's rules of 1867 and has roots in the pugilism of the 16th century. Muay Thai is really very old. Even the "modern" arts of judo and Brazilian jiujitsu date to 1882 and 1925 respectively.

What do you want out of an art?

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last