Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2007 8:24am

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fourth European Jiu jitsu Open Championship

Just wondering if someone from my neck of the woods(Europe) went to, had somene or even heard about the Fourth European Jiu jitsu Open Championship that went down this past week end in Lisbon, Portugal(my country, my city)?

Didn't get to see all of the fights, but we sure had a LOT of fighters coming from around the world to compete. I got to see Fabio Gurgel, Leo Viera, Roger Gracie and I was very impressed by the level of some of the brazilian fighters...I guess that's what they call elite ( I get easly impressed living in a small pond, being a small fish).

Didn't get to compete, the fee was way too rich for my blood and for many others also, because it's a hobby when compared with real life and real work and bills. But next year I'll compete for sure.

Fabio Gurgel fighting is something that everyone should see. The guy is almost 50(I think) and fought like a young kid, winning all of his fights(four) by submission. The funny thing was that he pretty much did the same thing every time. Takedown, crumble, submission. In portuguese, dar uma queda, amassar e submeter. No fancy work. He won in his weight class and in the absolut.

Lots and lots of people there which gives the impression that slowly, bjj is gaining ground and popularity in Portugal, but since Portugal is a small pound, I don't think we will ever be as popular as kickboxing,judo or karate...but then again, we have the hottest brazilian girls coming to our practice. lol

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    1/30/2007 10:30am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Three guys from my club went. A black, a purple and a blue. All got medals. Yay!

The blue competed in one of the senior classes. I predicted he would win by total dismemberment because he is a mean sonuvabitch with nasty old man strength. He took gold but I haven't heard a body count yet.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    1/30/2007 12:51pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lots of guys from my school won medals. I don't have the full results yet, but it seems our guys did very well.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2007 8:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of what I saw and heard, the nordic teams made a killing and a finish (I think) won by teams.
    I really hope portuguese teams improve so as to "blip" in the bjj radar around the world. Lot of potential but really green. An a example, our best portuguese athlete is Mónica Vanessa who won her weight cat purple belt at the world championships in Brazil, last year.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2007 9:22am

Style: judo super noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2007 11:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks, i've been looking for the exact results. My team didn't won a thing...chuif, back to the drawing board.

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    2/01/2007 7:13pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Various people from my club were there - Roger Gracie, obviously, and a few medal winners (RGA got the gold and silver for women's medium heavy, but no idea how large a field that was). Few other medals too (see here).

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 1:15am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I recognize that gold medalist from Scandinavian Open 2006. Girl from my club hiptossed her like a mitten.