1/29/2007 10:56pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Klitschko to battle Maskaev in comeback

Klitschko to battle Maskaev in comeback

Wed Jan 24, 3:02 PM ET

KIEV, Ukraine - Former WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko will return to the ring in April, more than two years after injuries forced his retirement.

Vasyl Samokhvalov, who described himself as an "information adviser" to Klitschko, told The Associated Press on Wednesday that Klitschko would face Oleg Maskaev on April 21 in Moscow.

"Today Klitschko has been interviewed by a number of German influential newspapers including Bild and he told them that he is returning," Samokhvalov said.

Samokhvalov said a knee injury that Klitschko sustained in December 2004 has all but gone away.

Last month, Maskaev retained his WBC heavyweight crown with a unanimous decision over Peter Okhello in the first world title fight held in Russia. Klitschko attended the fight.

Klitschko's last fight was an eighth-round win over Danny Williams on Dec. 11, 2004. The 36-year-old boxer's back and knee problems forced a year layoff afterward, then his retirement with a 35-2 record with 34 knockouts.

Klitschko failed in a recent bid to be elected mayor of Kiev, but remains active in Ukrainian politics and in business.

Klitschko's younger brother, Wladimir, will defend his IBF heavyweight title against American boxer Ray Austin on March 10 in Mannheim, Germany.

http://fe48.news.sp1.yahoo.com/s/ap/...JlYmhvBHNlYwM-

Excite to see the Ruskie soon to be back in action! What, does anyone actually watch boxing anymore?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2007 3:02pm

Style: Wrestling and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do. Personally, I'm favoring Vitali in this fight, but I wouldn't be surprised if Maskaev took it either. It'll be a good fight and finally something to generate interest in the heavyweight division again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2007 5:27pm

Style: Boxing, Wushu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought Sam Peter was up to fight Oleg next.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2007 5:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's still a subject of debate. Peter and his manager are trying to get the fight, since Peter was lined up to have the title shot before Vitali came back and had to fight a rematch with Toney that he completely dominated, with Klitschko fighting the winner, but it seems like Vitali might get the shot.

Posted On:
    1/30/2007 7:01pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hope Oleg kicks his ass! but I doubt it!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2007 7:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oleg can hit hard, but I'm wondering if his chin will hold out long. His fights against people like Tua and Sanders showed that he isn't very good there. I personally wonder how well he can hold out without tasting canvas if Klitschko can take him a few good times. Then again, as I said, Oleg's a pretty good power fighter, so Vitali will have to watch out himself.