Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last
    Style
    Systema & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Noguiera's promoted Anderson to black belt in BJJ, which is quite the credible source =)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm still picking Lutter. He fights ugly but he's effective at what he does.

Style
    Systema & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wager sent your way phorsty. =)

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Silva.
    Lutter's advantage is going to be in takedowns versus Silva's in striking. I don't see Lutter being able to finish on the ground and I think he'll take to much damage toget a deciscion off of takedowns.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HANKtheTANK
    The Noguiera's promoted Anderson to black belt in BJJ, which is quite the credible source =)

Its not to say that Anderson isnt a skilled groundfighter or that he isnt a legit black belt- its a simple question of the type of game he plays.

Throughout different peoples careers in BJJ, they're natrually going to find a particular game that works for them. Some people are good with positions, some are good with passing the guard, others are good with sweeping. A select few are able to do it all. I know of a brown belt that when he fights (gi) he has absolutely no submissions from the bottom at all, and hes about 145lb (kinda rare to see that in the smaller fighters). The same may have happened with Silva- perhaps hes not a big submission guy, but thats the kind of game that makes or breaks you in MMA.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't say that a fighter needs to use submissions to be a skilled MMA fighter. He needs to be versed in them, he needs to practice them, and he needs to practice counters to them. But if you are effective with simply beating the crap out of your opponent then why not? He perfers Muay Thai. His background is Muay Thai + BJJ. The same combination that practically everyone in the sport preaches today. As I said in another thread, would you bet against Liddell just because he perfers to strike? I doubt Lutter will even get him to the ground for more than a few seconds.

I'm gonna call it right here.

Silva, round 1, Strikes.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Allow me to elaborate a little more on my last statement: submission skills make or break jiu jitsu fighters in MMA. Im not saying that Silva isnt familiar with the ground game or submissions, but rather that hes not nearly as skilled as is Lutter, regardless of who he got his black belt from.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For me, it's not even a question of submission skills, although Lutter definitely has them. It's position. Unless Silva can keep it standing against someone who's a lot stronger than him (Lutter's a much bigger guy), he's not going to be able to stop the old-school BJJ progressive position game Lutter plays.

He fights a lot like our very own Fatherdog: lock it down, improve, lock it down, improve.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if Lutter can pull out the win, but he's a Machado guy and one of my instructor's good friends, so I'm honor bound to root for him.

He better keep his hands up and his chin tucked though, or this could be a brief fight.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have nothing but respect for both fighters but I'll give it to Silva, by referee stoppage, maybe in the 2nd round.

Dave

Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last