Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 4:51am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

UKCC - New UK Sports Coaching Certificate could be "standard"

Hi all, this was brought to my attention in another thread, and thought it would be of use if others could see and notice it.

It's called the UKCC (United Kingdom Coaching Certification) and is meant to help sports and coaches receive a government/council recognised qualification that would then make it easier for a club to recieve monies, training locations, insurance etc.

The problem is, they only seem to recognise the large (and worse) martial arts, for instance "Karate" is in Phase 3 of their program.

Have a read, make your minds up for yourselves - but if this does come into force, it'll certainly mean a hard time for MMA and non BS-smaller gyms

The official website - http://www.ukcoachingcertificate.org/
    A campaign against it - http://www.r2choose.co.uk/

(useful info pulled from the site - http://www.sportscoachuk.org/NR/rdon...ing_vision.pdf
    and - http://www.ukcoachingcertificate.org...ndorsement.ppt)

Why did they never try this....

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 7:55am

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu/Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The idea of using 'National Governing Bodies' (NGBs)is good in theory but how do you asses the the NGBs? There is the possible that something equivalent to the ATA could be selected...
    Also in the case of MMA there is NO NGB.

There is a whole raft of politics in the JJJ over here, BJA (mentioned on site) & WJJF split ages back (roughly north/south (ha-ha, NO)), Jitsu Foundation (think there's a review somewhere here) is separate and runs BUSA (inter uni) competitions so has some official standing.

BJJ- again no national governing body & I'd lay odds from the comments I read that the BJA (judo) made that they will try & claim it a derivitive art, bla bla bla...

/rant
    "This won't hurt me a bit..." - My training partner.:new_astha

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 8:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What would happen if a club (MMA, BJJ, whatever) joined an organisation like UKASKO (an umbrella org, mainly for krotty + kung fu)... would they then qualify as "Karate"?

Also, do we think whoever thought this up knows there are more than a couple of Martial Arts?
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 8:06am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks like whoever thought of this, thought "oh great, lets make some more money, and weed out those who don't make enough money" $chaching$

And I'm uncertain as to the reg's for joining some "umbrella organisation" as the details on most of the site seem very vague - unless you want to pay vast sums of money to become a sponsor or something :@

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 10:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've just spoken to a guy I work with who's a fencing coach. He coaches at the local leisure centre, he teaches at a local public school... been doing it for years.
    He's not amused to find fencing doesn't seem to be on the list in either phase 1, 2, or 3.

He thinks he got some details through the post about it from our local council, so I've asked him to dig them up, and if he gets them to me, I'll scan them in and post them.

The vagueness of the site gives hope... maybe they'll update sports as and when the issues are raised? I can't see them ignoring fencing, for instance... Olympic sport... shooting... Olympic sport...
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 10:43am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This seems like an appropriate time to say Im in the BJA :thefinger

ASeriously though, from what I can tell, this certificate is bad news for the majority of people out there, the BJA and the BTC are the only bodies involved and the BJA supposdly has a fairly low opinion of independant Judo clubs and the BTC isn't particularly great either from what I hear.

Awesomeweight

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 10:57am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slindsay
    This seems like an appropriate time to say Im in the BJA :thefinger

ASeriously though, from what I can tell, this certificate is bad news for the majority of people out there, the BJA and the BTC are the only bodies involved and the BJA supposdly has a fairly low opinion of independant Judo clubs and the BTC isn't particularly great either from what I hear.

BJA > Everyone else - w/ few rare exceptions.

High five!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 9:33pm

Style: Ch'ang Hon Taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Uk Bullshido that you can all do something about! re UKCC - UK Coaching Certificate

This was an email I received from a friend of mine.. it read:

-------------
    You may not be aware that a Government bill was passed introducing a new sports coaching qualification. Without this qualification you will not be allowed to teach in any Local Authority premises, e.g. sport centres, schools, colleges, etc. 13 sports already have them in place and 2012 is the deadline for TKD. Judo instructors will also need this qualification.

Though all agree that it's a good idea to have a recognised qualification available there are great concerns about how it is to be implemented. Sport England are informing us that they will only be available to TKD groups that are part of the British Tae Kwon-Do Council and only Judo instructors under the British Judo Assocation.

If you don't want to be forced down the BTC or BJA route then you and your students can support these efforts by:

Instructors & students: register your vote at the on-line parliamentary petition http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/UKCCert/
    Instructors: send a letter to your MP, several MP's are already supporting us (use your headed paper and address details)
    Instructor & Students: Visit the campaign web site for the latest details http://www.r2choose.co.uk

If you are a TKD instructor or student or Judo instructor or student in the UK, this will affect YOU!
    It will affect all other martial artists in the UK as well - as they havn't even been included, so if it goes through, they will have a hard time hiring sport centres etc. as they will not have the required certification!

Support the "Right to Choose" campaign. If you train martial arts in the UK it WILL affect you! http://www.r2choose.co.uk
    -----------

Please view the links as though it seems to effect only Judo and TKD, it has been claimed in fact to affect all martial arts in the UK! This is important for UK martial artists (not just TKD & Judo) as it will affect everyone not part of Sports England, that rents a government aligned space like a sports centre or local authority premises such as a community centre! No cert from them, and no hall hire (so actually at least Judo and TKD can get it if this goes through and they join the BJA or BTC)!!! Other arts will not be able to, as they have no avenue to gain the certification at all!

WORSE still is the future. If this goes through, the main members of the BTC (not mentioning any names) will use this to bolster there orgs and push others out - they tried it before and this will allow them to do it again, but with better results!!!!

This, to me is true Bullshido and as the thread says, one we can all help do something about!

Please read this link as it explains whats happening: http://r2choose.co.uk/index.html (links on the lest for more info)

This is the petition that is going to No 10.. please add you name and pass this round your students to add theirs and anyone else you know: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/UKCCert/

One of the posters on another forum posted this:

First they came for the Communists, and I didnít speak up, because I wasnít a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I didnít speak up, because I wasnít a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics, and I didnít speak up, because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me.

This could change the UK martial arts scene forever, putting control into the hands of just a few.. dont wait until it actually does affect you, as by then, it WILL be to late!

Stuart
    Last edited by StuartA; 1/29/2007 9:52pm at .

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 9:39pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Presumably you can get round this by just saying what you teach isn't a sport?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 9:48pm

Style: Ch'ang Hon Taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningDog
    Presumably you can get round this by just saying what you teach isn't a sport?
    No, from what Ive heard about it, to the LA's (Local Authorities) any martial art is considered a sport, irrespective on what and why you train or teach, hence why it affects everyone!

Stuart
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast