Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 2:07pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My Sword is screwed, please help!

I went to live abroad for a few years, and decided that rather than try to smuggle my sword through customs, I'd leave it with my Grandparents. So after 3 years away I finally moved back to the UK. In a state of almost orgasmic excitement I went to get my sword from my Grandparents place. Oh no, the fuckers kept it in their garage.
    After an awful lot of effort (not to mention oil) I finally got the thing out of it's sheath and - of course - it was rusted to hell.
    So, after even more effort, a few tears, lots of fine grain emery paper and one **** load of cursing, I finally got the rust off. But now I am left with a very dull blade.
    So what do I do now? I'm tempted to attach the polishing head thingy to my drill and having a go at it with that, to try and regain it's former shine, but I'm rather hesitant to commit what could end up being swordicide. So what do y'all think would be the best way to regain that beautiful shine? (and to all the smart little wankers who I know are going to say "metal polish" - tried it, BUT I NEED SOMETHING BETTER)

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 3:36pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Assuming its a forged carbon steel sword?

Can you tried a Japanese sword polishing kit?

http://mantisswords.com/kits_bags_oil.htm

You'll probably need a grinding wheel to get its sharpness back.

I recommend a bladesmith.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 4:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeh, carbon steel. i'll have a check for bladesmiths in London, presumably they could polish it too?
    just on the off chance, does anyone know of any good bladesmiths in London, or thereabouts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 4:31pm

Style: Ju-Jitsu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it made of folded steel? Was it clay tempered? It is made from one kind of steel or the edge is different from the sides?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 4:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    go to your local hardware store and as for info, they might do it for you there. do not go to a shitty lowes or home depot, because they cant do ****. go to a really grungy and "i eat steaks and mix concrete all day" hardware store.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 4:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, i have no idea how the blade was made exactly, the sword is kind of old (c.. 1450) and has been in the family for a **** of a long time (which is why i thought it'd be safe with my grandparents). but i'd hazard a guess that it's one piece tempered steel, the blade is the same as the rest of it. and it is gorgeous. nice polished bone handle, perfectly balanced, and the blade was just beautiful - when i was in my teens i used to use it to cut down small trees to help make treehouses in the forest with friends.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 4:49pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll need some very fine grit sandpaper.

I think when I polished my sword I started with something like 1000 and worked my way up to 3000 but I can't quite recall. I do know that I finished with 3000.

What you'll do is start with the lower grit and you start polishing from hilt to point. You go only in one vertical direction as consistently straight as you can until you get an even, though rough, polish. You then move about 500 grit higher and do the same. Keep it up and after several hours of work you can get your sword to a mirror finish if you so desire.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 4:50pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude if it's an antique then disregard all this bullshit and look for a professional restoration person. And shame on you for cutting down trees with an irreplaceable peice of history.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 4:54pm

Style: Ju-Jitsu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, first of all, that sword might be valuable. There are antiquarians who might be able to help you on that, you should ask them how to repair it. An expert bladesmith could be a good choice, too. Second, what kind of sword is that? I'd wager a sabre from what you said; third, do you know if it was made for fencing, practice, real use...?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 5:36pm

Style: Medieval Italian (WMA)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by New
    yeh, carbon steel. i'll have a check for bladesmiths in London, presumably they could polish it too?
    just on the off chance, does anyone know of any good bladesmiths in London, or thereabouts?
    try www.swordforum.com
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast