Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2007 6:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Lau Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sam ho
    Yes, hello fellow lau gar'ist, I too once learned from the Jedi...
    Really? cool! What club/how long ago? I may know you/remember you!

Posted On:
    12/29/2007 6:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi guys,

Ahh, Lau Gar, it was the Farnham club I trained in, about 17 years ago to be honest, i was still going when Kevin buggered off to the states, I was the chinese kid with an american accent, I stopped going not long after Kevin left as after that it became a glorified kick boxing club with little to no Gong Fu which is what I really liked.

I found once Kevin left, gradually the forms lost there meaning as kick boxers who liked to show off were teaching them, and giving meaning to certain moves in the forms that can best be described as ridiculous..........And then you have the knife defences, dodge the slash as it comes, then again as it passes you again, then on the 3rd time block it and round house to the head, come on???

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with kick boxing, I think it's a great martial art and the Lau Gar guys used to do well on the circuits... but they shouldn't teach street defence.

Apologies, if you're a member of that club and i've just seemed to completely disrespect it, I just feel that sometomes macho attitudes are dangerous, especially when you have young kids training, who believe anything someone in a black belt tells them.

With regards to Mike's health, he has good days and bad days, but he's always there for training, even if he has to take the sidelines part way through and hand over to one of the senior dan grades.

Thanks

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/29/2007 8:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Lau Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sam ho
    Hi guys,

Ahh, Lau Gar, it was the Farnham club I trained in, about 17 years ago to be honest, i was still going when Kevin buggered off to the states, I was the chinese kid with an american accent, I stopped going not long after Kevin left as after that it became a glorified kick boxing club with little to no Gong Fu which is what I really liked.
    Blimey, that was a long long time ago then - before I even started! I'd like to think the club has changed alot since then... Don't suppose you can remember who the teachers were?

I found once Kevin left, gradually the forms lost there meaning as kick boxers who liked to show off were teaching them, and giving meaning to certain moves in the forms that can best be described as ridiculous..........And then you have the knife defences, dodge the slash as it comes, then again as it passes you again, then on the 3rd time block it and round house to the head, come on???
    Sadly I think there is just alot in the forms that really don't have practical applications at all (just like the problem with lots of TMA forms) so people try to justify them in all sorts of ways. As for the knife defense, yes they are awful, but they are part of the official Lau Gar syllabus as laid down by master yau, not something that our club invented.

Posted On:
    1/29/2008 4:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi there, I stumbled upon you guys last night and hopefully will clear some things up, first the KJJBA (GB) Kempo Ju Jitsu Budo Association (Great Britain) run by Hanshi Browne changed into the FAO (GB) Fighting Arts Orgaisation (GRreat Britain) about 6 years ago, I assume this was because people got tired of telling people what KJJBA (GB) stood for or simply to recognise the growth of style within the group and the fact not all were Kempo. When I joined (around 15yrs ago) Mike was a 5th dan Jitsu (I have no idea on the Judo level he was then) In 1998 i graded to second dan under Mike and he was a sixth dan at this point and withing the last 4 yrs he has been promoted to 7th dan. As has already been mentioned Jitsu (FAO GB) grades to third dan and after that dans are presented for time in service etc. Mike has always been a real favourite of mine at the annual seminar (the poster for which kicked of this skirmish) He teaches simple clean techniques with a lot of humour and I feel they are some of the best techniques. He is now, as has been mentioned, extremely ill with the illness i cant type (see previous posts) and hopefully will be well enough to teach at our next seminar. I am now braced for the noob bashing and personal investigation into whether or not my background is worthy of writing such a post.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    1/29/2008 5:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wol
    I am now braced for the noob bashing and personal investigation into whether or not my background is worthy of writing such a post.
    Please report to the chamber of Investigation. There you will be assessed by the Inquisition...

Seriously, thanks for your post.
    It reinforces what we already know:
    Mike seems like a nice guy who knows Jujitsu.
    Mike's Jujitsu techniques are regarded by those who have trained with him as good techniques.
    The people who have trained with Mike don't know what Judo grade he is. Most aren't concerned because they are learning Jujitsu, not judo.
    The thread here was started by a Judoka who cared what grade Mike was claiming in Judo.
    No-one has been able to prove Mike's grade in Judo.
    No-one has been able to dis-prove Mike's grade in Judo.
    When pressed, Mike clarified that his grade was in Zen Judo.
    The people from the organisation Mike claims his Judo grade from don't recognise him, and when they do, it's from many years ago at a relatively low grade (compared to that which he claimed on his web-site).
    Zen Judo (the art he claims his Judo rank in) is more akin to Jujitsu than competition Judo.

If I missed anything, apologies.

Wol, I don't want to come off as snippy or dismissive with this post, but no-one has really bothered with Mike's Jujitsu grades. Red Sauce made an inital run at them, but discovered he only really cared about the Judo grade. A lot of 'Japanese' Jujitsu styles (unless Koryu) are renamed hybrids. True story :)

The Judo grades were the only thing 'investigated' in this thread.

Sorry to hear Mike's still unwell.

Posted On:
    9/25/2009 9:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Various, full contact

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fresh blood! A 'Newbie' replies......I found this thread just searching for Waragachi and I have waded through the 21 pages of comment..not all of it pretty.
    I have never met Mike Johnson, but I have trained with an 'old student' of his, a certain M.C. who probably wouldn't want me to broadcast about him.....
    Here are some facts, I had been around the block with my training, had done /been full-contact for a number of years and then moved a lot , finding decent clubs if I could, and 'half-arsed' ones if I couldn't....yes, I did reach a senior grade, but often I was the 'new guy' and often I regretted the 'enthuaism' of the beginner......
    To get to the point, I am not given to be fearful, nor to 'just accept' anything a guy with a black belt tells me,...but I say this truthfully, the only person that ever actually scared me, was this certain M.C Everything, and I do mean everything, was a technique to explore, everything had to 'work', and every technique was eventually delivered 'for real', there was no place for maybe.... This was ultraviolent shite of a highly practiced order...which on one memorable occasion left me with a broken nose and cracked ribs, glad he pulled his punches! (That's not a joke)
    Mr M.C is a previous pupil of Mr Mike Johnson, who publically announced that he was happy to 'steal any good technique' that works ( para-phrase) and is held high in my esteem, because he addresses the reality of conflict, and embraces the respect for those who went before.
    To the armchair warriors, I say, Nothing
    To the real martial artist, I say, go train with the man, find out for yourself and then make your judgements , to Sam Ho, DaveTart and Red, it was a lotta reading for the same point to be made again and again, can't fault the sentiment or the logic, just wonder how you find the time to train? Or do you, atall?
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021