• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    1/31/2007 3:51am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I ever butterfly, which I have made a goal to get good at now, I try to underhook. Two underhooks in and two hooks (feet) in. From there I decide how and where to sweep, keeping my underhooks tight he cant pummel. Once I choose a side, say right, I loosen up my right underhook and let him pummel that arm. Now I have an underhook on the left and over on the right. My left foot hook lifts up as does my underhook, and to the side, while my right over hook pulls down. I also bring my right foot hook out and block his leg with it.

So you push with your under and pull with your overs. Im pretty sure thats the sweep your thinking of.

If that fails, over hooks are great for setting up triangles and unders are great for armbars.

Just remember to keep your overhook very tight. Find someone in your class who has wrestled at high school or college and ask them to show you the the underhook and overhook as done in wrestling. Then ask about whizzers and quarter nelsons. Whenever someone gets me in halfgaurd (or butterfly) and gets those underhooks I hit quarter nelson. Its very easy to flatten a guy out with that and is a great way to neutralize any lockdown while were at it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2007 7:56am

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    If I ever butterfly, which I have made a goal to get good at now, I try to underhook. Two underhooks in and two hooks (feet) in. From there I decide how and where to sweep, keeping my underhooks tight he cant pummel. Once I choose a side, say right, I loosen up my right underhook and let him pummel that arm. Now I have an underhook on the left and over on the right. My left foot hook lifts up as does my underhook, and to the side, while my right over hook pulls down. I also bring my right foot hook out and block his leg with it.

So you push with your under and pull with your overs. Im pretty sure thats the sweep your thinking of.
    Yeah it is, and I've been doing it this way, but a lot of people favor using a whizzer instead of an underhook, and I'm trying to understand this perspective. I'm starting to get comfortable both ways, but still trying to figure out what default grip I want to fight for when I get to this position.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/31/2007 5:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like playin butterfly, and I dont really care what range you are at either. If you are far away from me then I will grab the pant legs at the bottom by the ankle or the ankle itself if I am not wearin a gi. From here I can either transition to x guard and sweep or throw a kneebar by rollin up on my shoulder. I would rather play half butterfly than full, just because I have more attacks from there( me lovey the leg locks). And to answer your last question, unless I am running a quarter nelson I dont have my hands gripped together I like to grab the far lapel if we are wearing a gi or just press the backs of my hands against them while I squeeze my elbows to my side.

The Hebrew Hammer

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 1:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaspaine
    Ever since I started using the butterfly guard it's been drilled into my head that you want to sit up and fight for underhooks. Either to get double underhooks, or to get an over-under to hit the basic butterfly guard sweep. I've noticed though that some people, in particular Jean-Jaque, Eddie Bravo, and some good people at my school, hit this sweep using double overhooks. I've tried this out on some noobs with moderate success; I find that an overhook makes the sweep a little tighter because the guy on top can't base out with that arm or just pull it out. Not to mention that I often end up with overhooks anyway because I think it's easier for the top man to pummel for underhooks. On the other hand I feel that it's too easy to flatten me out if I don't have an underhook, I have more leverage when hitting the sweep if I have an over-under. In the case that I do get flattened out, it's instinctive for me to pummel for an underhook and try to sit up, so maybe my problem with this sweep is just an underhook habit.

I've also noticed that once I get to double underhooks, I basically have no game plan and I just kind of fiddle around until I'm forced into something else, like the over-under sweep I mentioned above. I suck at taking the back from here, and that captain kirk sweep where you roll the guy backwards into mount never works on anyone who isn't retarded.

So what kind of butterfly guard do you all play? I realize that it's a dynamic guard, but are you mainly pummeling for underhooks and hitting sweeps using underhooks, or do you prefer using overhooks?

Edit: Consider this in the context of no-gi grappling, since my school doesn't use the gi. [Comedy Police Edit]
    With butterfly guard I like to pummel to underhooks rock back andforth for momentun and stand up using my underhooks to "bear hug" my opponent over onto their back.

Also your underhooks will afford oyu more leverage and mobility not to mention control of your opponents body. With over hooks you just have their arm. With unders you control their whole torso. it can be done from overs but its more consistant from unders.

If you have doubel unders and are stuck you just need to move your hips ever so slightly to get the desired angle and hit any sort of sweep not to mention transitions to the back or single / double leg.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12