Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 1:30am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bjj and the smaller vs larger opponent mantra.

I have been grappling and training bjj for about 3 years now and often you hear the mantra that bjj was designed for a smaller opponent to defeat a larger one (albeit less skilled)

But really isnt this just a true with the other fuctional martial arts like boxing, Muay Thai, wrestling, judo, sambo?

For example, cro-cop Ko'ed Bob Sapp despite almost a 150 lb weight difference (220 vs 370) with his kick boxing skills.

Evander holyfield was a pretty small heavy weight and had great success against other larger boxers, who btw were also pretty skilled fighters.

Now dont get me wrong, I love BJJ and think its an excellent martial art, hell i train it and Muay Thai myself, that being said, does BJJ stylist really have the much of an edge against larger opponents then a well trained Muay Thai guy or a judoka?

Discuss.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 1:42am

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    its all very hard to quantify anything related to this kind of speculation but to generalise, I do get the impression that it makes a huge difference if the specified 'larger person' knows the raw basics of grappling.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 1:54am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's honestly easier to outgrapple someone bigger then you then it is to outstrike them. if i had to beat up some 6'3" 200 pound dude I'd rather take him down then deal with it on my feet, even though I am by far a prefered striker.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 2:10am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    It's honestly easier to outgrapple someone bigger then you then it is to outstrike them. if i had to beat up some 6'3" 200 pound dude I'd rather take him down then deal with it on my feet, even though I am by far a prefered striker.
    What she said, I'm a wee fella at 150 lbs, and despite being primarily a striker, against a bigger guy I feel more comfortable on the ground. Its more predictable and forgiving than trying to slug it out standing, different **** to avoid and still dangerous yes, but where I'd feel the better chance is.

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 2:11am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi yall.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 2:12am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ditto to that. I only have VERY basic grappling knowledge (if it can even be classified as that), but I've managed to choke out several larger and stronger opponents. No, not at the same time.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 4:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a pretty piss-poor striker anyway but even accounting for that I still get tooled by larger guys on my feet. On the ground though, even if my opponent is larger and more skilled I can still usually hold my own, or at least survive for a reasonable amount of time. So yeah, I personally find the ground more forgiving when fighting a larger opponent.
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 9:26am

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    striking is more natural than grappling for most people. grappling involves being very close to your opponent which most people aren't used to and/or don't like.

it's possible to strike effectively with no training, while grappling effectively requires at least some training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 10:46am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think most people would agree, in general:
    1) If two fighters are equally skilled, the bigger fighter wins.
    2) The bigger the size gap, the greater the skill gap required for the smaller opponent to win.

I would argue that in stand-up striking, greater reach is an important advantage. Bigger people tend to have longer arms and legs. Theoretically, the bigger fighter can stay just outside of the smaller person's reach and still land blows.

In grappling, the reach advantage is mitigated (well, mostly). A bigger person still will usually be stronger, and can get leverage more easily, hence they do retain some size advantage, but size would seem to be somewhat less important than in stand-up striking.

Therefore:
    If size gap is less important in grappling, then less skill gap is required for a smaller fighter to out-grapple a bigger fighter.

P.S.
    :new_birth to me!

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 10:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on skill

last week I grappled someone close to 400 pounds.

Upa's and stuff like that were no good.

However I was able to use a half gaurd escape which Injust learned.

Besides trying to take the back and going for a choke there wasn't much I could do

and I am 6 1" and 208
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast