Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 11:36pm

Style: krav maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Mossberg handles mud and yuck a bit better, but the action feels looser.

The 870 is by no means a finicky piece but it's not "run it over in the mud then fire it dry" tough.

However, Since you say you live in the desert, where there's no mud, I say go with the 870. Use a dry lube to keep grit down if you're not going to clean it often or are inclined to oil heavily or will be long afield.

For hunting and trap you're gointo probably put some wood in it to limit capacity, I'm not sure of California's hunting laws. so get one of the 870 wingmasters with the little 3 round tube. They're really light if you leave the gadgets off, and you'll appiciate that if you're wandering around the desert. Save weight to carry more water, or clif bars or some ****.

And I wouldn't know, but with the short tube underneath you could probably cut an old barrel down silly short, which would be all stubby and cute and alot off fun, if it weren't a federal offense. So don't.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/30/2007 4:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This has been alot of help guys, thanks for all your replies.

I'm going to do pricing and shopping around friday after work.

:copdance:

Charlie Don't Surf

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 3:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    You know, simplicity is good, and I hunt with a pump, but honestly, you aren't going to find a Remington 1100 unreliable. Some people say they're actually more reliable than pumps in the field simply because you can't get excited and short-shuck an autoloader.
    I've actually found my Remington 1100 to be a bit of a jamomatic. Hunting in the rice fields outside Houston as a kid it seemed like the smallest bit of debri would cause failure to feed problems everytime. My Dad recently gave me his 870 Wingmaster, which has been ultra-reliable since my Dad bought it back in the early '50s, so I'm looking to swap the 1100 for a Mossberg 500 defender or similar type home defense shotgun.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 12:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai/ JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    best bang for your buck would have to be the rem 870. solid gun, plus plenty of badass upgrades. just finished mine, (surefire light and speedfeed pistol grip) very satisfied!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 3:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, just to update, albeit late, I bought a Remington 870 Super Magnum on the 18th of February, picked it up on the 28th of course. Been shooting alot since then and feel ready for some trap, which I'm going to try later today. Almost finished homestudying for hunting license and plan on getting that soon, although probably not soon enough (which was part of the point of buyng a shotgun capable of firing 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2 shells).

All told, $425 for the shotty itself, after a case, some ammo from walmart and other fixin's, about $500.

EDIT: Got the 28" barrel and have the factory modified choke in atm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 3:51pm

Style: not training currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations, awesome gun!

You will probably never fire enough ammo through that shotty to wear it out and, as Don Gwinn mentioned, don't short-stroke the action and the gun should be boringly reliable.

**off topic question**
    Which beer is that in the green bottles? I'm sure that I've had it before, I just can't recall its name.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 4:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I take it slow and give the action no mercy, so hopefully I'll avoid a short-shuck.

The beer is (was) Franziskaner Hefe-weisse, which tastes pretty good for $6 per six-pack.

Charlie Don't Surf

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 6:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I approve of both the shotgun and the beer. Good choices all around.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 6:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just got back from the range; shot two rounds of trap, singles.

First round was 13/25, second 17/25, oh well, first time shoting at a moving target.

Guy at the front desk asked me afterwards, so 'how'd it go?', restraining my urge to snort at myself I just said 'as well as can be expected'. Rofl :qleft6:

Fun as **** though

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 9:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bikenjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I have the 870 and I love it. 5 shot mag with the 21inch barrel.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast