Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 8:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking at buying a shotgun, help needed

I actually own two shotguns already, but they're old old old break barrel single barrel duck guns that haven't been shot in probably 50 years.

Anyway, after a long time of trying to fight off the urge, I decided to purchase a shotgun.

My main purpose will be trap/skeet shooting (competative by nature), with the option of hunting being secondary, preferably waterfowl, although the idea of deer hunting with a slug barrel seems interesting (doubtful to happen though). I'm not buying this for home defense, as I have very little to defend, but wouldn't mind having it around I guess.

I'm leaning towards a pump right now, most likely a 12 gauge Remington 870, Mossberg 500 or some other kind of basic, simple shotgun. I understand that autoloaders are the preferred for skeet and have reduced recoil, but I'm a fan of simplicity and reliability. Since I like to spend most of my outdoor-sy time in the deserts of California, I am further concerned with ruggedness.

Anyway, I've spend plenty of time reading up on this stuff, but prices vary widely and since guns arent exactly something encouraged to be bought right off the internet, I'm wondering mostly about price and other details, in addition to the technical things, it seems I should be paying maybe $200-300 (which is about the price range I've established, but I can wait longer if I am really encouraged to spend more) or so, but I dunno. Should I look for a private seller or buy used or anything like that? I am not so familiar with the process.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 11:03pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a Mossberg 590 and that's one bad-ass mother. It holds eight shots(once you take the plug out), and it comes with a pistol grip and standard stock that are easy to switch out. My brother has used it to hunt ducks in Mississippi and i just keep it around the house so i can give the impression that I'm a badass. I would suggest this one (whatever my opinion is worth to you).

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 11:27pm

Style: Korean Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before I moved from socal to the great white north last month I shot trap a couple times a month at the olympic range in prado near riverside. Never have shot skeet although my dad loves it and his gun that I used for trap is technically a skeet gun.

The gun I was using was an over-under winchester with a 28" barrel and skeet choke. I absolutely loved shooting it and was competitive with the guys using longer barrels. Never had a 25 round but I am pretty consistently in the 20s. I would say I saw about 50-50 between a pump or some sort of break barrel be it single or over-under.

My next shotgun now that I can't mooch off the fam is going to be a cz redhead: http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/gear/fieldtested/article/0,20280,shotguns-0030,00.htm0l
    I have heard good things about that gun for both hunting and target shooting and the price is pretty decent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 11:34pm

Style: Korean Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Should I look for a private seller or buy used or anything like that? I am not so familiar with the process.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    I would take my time and look for a good deal on a quality gun. Not sure about SD but up in OC and LA some stores like Turners Outdoorsman will sell guns on consignment.

I bought my Kimber .45 from a private party in Long Beach and it worked out well. I am not sure but I believe that the same rules for ownership transfer apply in cali for shotguns as pistols. Meaning you will have to take the gun into a licensed dealer, fill out some paperwork and they will hold the gun for 10 days while running a background check. Good chance to get the gun worked on if needed.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    1/28/2007 7:03am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much money are you willing to spend? Depending on how much you want to spend, my friend will hand build you a shotgun that'll knock over small sedans. It's his hobby, he's very good at it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2007 9:20am

Style: CQC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In general the more you spend the better it gets typically in terms of barrel and mechanism quality.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    1/28/2007 9:57am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA-JESUS SAN
    How much money are you willing to spend? Depending on how much you want to spend, my friend will hand build you a shotgun that'll knock over small sedans. It's his hobby, he's very good at it.
    Sirc you have an video of that?
    Last edited by Plasma; 1/28/2007 10:54am at .

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    1/28/2007 11:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camus
    I'm leaning towards a pump right now, most likely a 12 gauge Remington 870, Mossberg 500 or some other kind of basic, simple shotgun.
    I have these guns. They are both very nice shotguns. In your price range, I think that these are the top 2 contenders for your gun buying dollar.

If I had to choose between them, I'd go with the Remington 870. It feels better to me. More solid, better feeling pump action and a sturdy frame and stock for those butt striking opportunities.

If you don't have a Remington 870 Wingmaster now, you should get that.

It's the only gun I have that has a name, his name is "Junior"

These guns are probably best bought in person. I've bought over an internet classified before, and made out okay, but I'd have to stress buyer beware.

Used is fine as long as you look carefully. Look at a new gun first, play with it, feel it. Then look at used ones. You may find better older guns. Junior was born in March of 1976, and he's a fine strapping lad.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2007 4:25pm

Style: MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For cost effective excellent pump, your never going to be the Mossberg 500 series or the Remington 870. If money isnt that much of an option a Benelli Nova or M1/M2 will do you nicely. I own a super black eagle myself. well worth the cash

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 11:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, simplicity is good, and I hunt with a pump, but honestly, you aren't going to find a Remington 1100 unreliable. Some people say they're actually more reliable than pumps in the field simply because you can't get excited and short-shuck an autoloader.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast