Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 11:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jodokkdo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Asheville Academy of Taekwondo

Mr. Richard Tener is the head instructor fot this school. He is a very kind and egoless individual and quite the opposite of the insecure TKD types that one sometimes encounters when discussing real world martial arts with traditionalists. The "grandmaster" instructor of the school, Mr. Chung of Alabama, broke away from the massively silly ATA back in the 1990's to create the ATF (Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms it ain't) or American Taekwondo Federation (and "Foundation" and non-profit for accridetation and certification of instructors).
    The level of aerobic conditioning needed for this class was well beyond my current, sitting around the house doing schoolwork level. It has whipped me into shape very quickly.
    The facility is verynice and well equipped.
    Sparring is without the ridiculous chest pad no equipment olyimpic style turtleshell. And the kicks (of course) are emphasized. I found it difficult to transition from my grappling, punching to the head backgroud, but the kind of cross training produces some monster kicks. There is also self-defense training at the black belt level under grappling instructors and hapkido folks especially during the summer camps and korea trips they sponsor.
    Very nice people...mostly in it for the art and the social environment, but good folks throughout. I recommend this school highly. This is telling as I have spent most of my life trying to escape the ridiculousness that modern taekwondo had become. If you want to get into shape...try these guys for a coupld of months for sure!

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 4:41pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    199$ a month? WTF???

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 5:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jodokkdo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sorry....

Meant $99...yeah hat would be out of market round here for TKD...