Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 5:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    question: does anyone here consider the wearing of a gi, whether in grappling or striking arts, LARPing?
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 2/27/2007 5:46pm at .

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 5:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See the gi debate is always from people in California or somewhere warm

In Canada we wear gi like clothing all the time. So learning to use the gi as a weapon is practical and not larping at all

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 5:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    See the gi debate is always from people in California or somewhere warm

In Canada we wear gi like clothing all the time. So learning to use the gi as a weapon is practical and not larping at all

Yeah, I wasn't really being sarcastic. When I lived in Minneapolis, I looked around and thought how useful gi training was since people wore coats and jackets. Of course, to be safe, they should probably trudge throught the snow in only fight shorts... :5butthead

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 5:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am very paranoid and only wear a skin tight lycra speed suit.

NO ONE MESSES WITH ME!!!!!!!!

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    I am very paranoid and only wear a skin tight lycra speed suit.

NO ONE MESSES WITH ME!!!!!!!!
    I've never looked at Gi as a crutch or LARPwear, I simply see it as a durable garment, based on a traditional design, that saves on wear and tear on regular clothing that will not put up with the strain of being used that roughly. Most people wear garments that afford some type of hand hold, and therefore the training is valid. No Gi is mostly for sport, or extermely warm climate/ nudist colony use.

The skin tight Lycra speed suit is just creepy.
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 7:15pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA-JESUS CHAN
    After a rousing session of sparring the other night and doing some crappling, I was walking to the dressing rooms to get changed when one of the mother's stopped me to ask me if I was going to show up more often. I told her that I would try and then she proceeded to ask me if what I did hurt. I was confused by this question so I asked her, "You mean the class we just took? The one your son was in?" and she said, "No, the kickboxing stuff you did after class." and I replied with, "Not really, you pretty much learn to shrug off most of everything. Pain goes away with a little time."

This kind of hit me then and I realized something. I don't actually think about my well-being or think of pain as a consequence of doing full-contact sport fighting. This is why I was so confused by the question.

Let's take Baby Albert for example. If you don't know the experiment with Baby Albert the gist of it is, BA was sitting in his crib and Mr. Watson would show Albert a little white rat and bang on a loud sounding thingy, I forget what exactly at the moment (it's 4:22am), but after a while, Baby Albert would cry every time he saw white fur. This was a learned response for poor littler Albert. Fur = pain. And pain = crying. Because crying = white fur goes away. And white fur goes away = no more crazy noises.

So I'm thinking to people who don't do full contact fighting is because of a series of learned responses. Full-contact sparring = really getting hit. Getting hit = pain. Pain = no good. But here's the catch, how do you become "tougher" and seem more like you can handle yourself without having to get hit? Maybe Bullshido'ing originally was just a defense mechanism to fight off having to go through the flowchart and just stop. Maybe to them the flowchart goes: full-contact sparring = really getting hit. Getting hit = pain. Pain = no good. To protect from pain, one must not get hit. This is where they start screwing with everything. If I practice _____ where _____ = whatever bullshit exercise that ranges from chi blasts to point sparring to whatever it is they do. They take this and add it to the formula to try to change it. So then it turns to:

full-contact sparring = really getting hit. [Bullshido crap here = not getting hit] not getting hit = good.

So, are we just forgetting that there are consequences to doing Martial Arts? Like pain, injury, etc.? Do we just not care anymore? Are we less sane for not fearing for our well-being? Should we really be getting so pissed off at people who are just simply following a course of thought that is maybe just some really twisted way of protecting their own hides? (The answer is yes by the way)

What do you think? It's 4:30am and I may very well wake up and start questioning what the hell I just posted. Discuss until I return.

First of all, if you are having "rousing sessions of sparring" with other men, and then are so dazed afterwards a simple question confuses you, then I think we need to alter your training. A few less shots to the head, and a few more to the balls.

Next, it's highly likely that Baby Albert can kick your ass. With or without the white fur.

And finally, why exactly is it that we are philosophising over Maslow's hierarchy of needs with respect to fat lazy Phil Elmore look-alikes? People lose touch with reality in many various ways. They are avoiding real work and stroking their egos in martial arts.

And hopefully you'll come to the conclusion that full contact sparring actually involves getting hit a few less times than the other guy, and that's a good thing. Oscar de la Hoya is still a pretty boy, and it's not due to lack of full contact competition.
    Last edited by chingythingy; 2/28/2007 7:19pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 7:47pm

Style: BJJ, Debate-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People LARP/Bullshido to achieve an optimal cost-benefit ratio. LARPing is less painful, requires less effort, and yet can still fool idiots into seeing you as a badass. Bullshido's utility in self-defense is almost never relevant or considered, except for the purposes of rationalization, since real self-defense scenarios are rare.

Other benefits relevant to Bullshidoka may include a feeling of smug cultural/philosophical superiority or a sense of undeserved accomplishment. Some may participate in a particularly rigid, structured, hierarchical martial art because they have a psychological need to submit themselves to the authority of another. They may look upon Bullshido as a religion--a quasi-mystical study around which they may center their moral and spiritual lives. There are tons and tons of reasons that people do this crap, and they are as varied as the reasons people buy into every other form of garden variety bullshit.

I think some common threads, however, are intellectual and/or physical laziness. Not all Bullshidoka are lazy, but enough are that I think the generalization is valid.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678