He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 11:46am

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sircumcision
    So I'm thinking to people who don't do full contact fighting is because of a series of learned responses. Full-contact sparring = really getting hit. Getting hit = pain. Pain = no good. But here's the catch, how do you become "tougher" and seem more like you can handle yourself without having to get hit? Maybe Bullshido'ing originally was just a defense mechanism to fight off having to go through the flowchart and just stop. Maybe to them the flowchart goes: full-contact sparring = really getting hit. Getting hit = pain. Pain = no good. To protect from pain, one must not get hit. This is where they start screwing with everything. If I practice _____ where _____ = whatever bullshit exercise that ranges from chi blasts to point sparring to whatever it is they do. They take this and add it to the formula to try to change it. So then it turns to:
    I agree with some of this.There are just a lot of wusses out there who would be too scared to try anything that could result of themselves risking pain.

Or sweating for that matter.Altought that could be another group of people who usually frequent fast food joints .
    Last edited by CanucKyokushin; 1/27/2007 11:48am at .

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 12:03pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wei-chi-student
    I think its mostly due to the paradoxic nature of the motivation of many MAists. Like they often say: they want to learn how to fight to avoid fighting. Why do they want to avoid fighting? Beeing beaten up or even worse: seen or heard oaf someone beeing beaten up, causes major discomfort for many children. Especially if its only hearsay. Once they get older they realize there's a cure for their fears: MA! But MA comes in different colors and sizes, some of them seem just as bad as the schoolyard beatings they want to avoid in their adult future , but some promise them to make them competent fighters, even dangerous, without the pain and the fear the primarily want to avoid.
    The main thing in my oppinion is that both problem and solution take place in a fantasy world. Most of the threats which initially got them to start the MA they chose were purely imaginary, like homeless people, poor people, people of diffent color, agressive older kids all just wanting to kick their ass (as if they had nothing better to do), rob them of their posessions etc.
    Is fear the only reason for people to LARP/bullshido? Heck, no, feeling like a big bad ass fighter sure feels fun, and if you can have it without getting your nose bloodied... why not?
    But i firmly believe that BS-level and fear felt by the avarage practitioner facing people completely foreign to him are strongly correlated with each other.
    Interesting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 12:34pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    also: a lot of people are just lazy, and live martial arts require lots of fitness and physical exertion. LARPing is not very physically demanding.

so aside from people not wanting to get hurt, which is a big reason, i think a lot of people don't want to work hard.

people are also often afraid of doing badly or getting "beaten" at things, so it seems there's an ego element as well.

everyone "wins" at kata and compliant drills and that makes people feel really competent, i'm sure. if you start BJJ and get choked and armbar-ed a dozen times on your first day, that can be either discouraging or inspiring.

of course, the ones who will come back are the ones who find it inspiring.

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 12:39pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People LARP out of ignorance.

Plus your analogy can be shortened to

Hit in face = ouchy = screw this i'm going to Aikido classes.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 12:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Larping is a moralistic judgment of a strategy used to meet a need.

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 1:50pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, so the whole thread can be summed up with "Most people are lazy pussies who don't want to get hurt or sweat". Yes, no, maybe?

BTW for proof, look at all the bullshido fitness products out there. You can be strong and lean in minutes a day with no work.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 2:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity, I think. Ignorance = lack of knowledge, stupidity = disregard of knowledge.

I think people are generally more ignorant than they are stupid. They don't know and therefore retire to someone who has authority. Like when most people get pulled over, they don't actually know in full detail the laws and just assume that police officers know them all and comply. Ergo, people see a guy in uniform (Gi + black belt, PJ's + sash, etc.) and they see authority, they see someone they believe they can rely on.

I actually practice a lot of magic card tricks, like David Blaine "Street Magic" crap. When I perform tricks for people, they want to believe it's magic. They know that I'm pulling their chain, and tricking them, but because they want to believe that the deck hasn't been carefully ordered, or that I have double cards, or that I actually pick up only one card, or that I haven't palmed anything. It's RIGHT in front of them, but they still want to believe.

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 2:03pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another part of larping is the desire to seem special and unique by having access to "secret" knowledge, see Ninja larping

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 2:19pm

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    Have a look at this crowd:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50426

I honestly think they and 90% of LARPers are just doing it for fun, and that they know it's no use.
    Call me crazy but when a video starts with "ARE YOU READY FOR THIS?" and then proceeds to show seemingly endless static drills it is usually a good indication of LARPing.
    Last edited by HearWa; 1/27/2007 2:26pm at .

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 2:34pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sircumcision
    There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity, I think. Ignorance = lack of knowledge, stupidity = disregard of knowledge.

I think people are generally more ignorant than they are stupid. They don't know and therefore retire to someone who has authority. Like when most people get pulled over, they don't actually know in full detail the laws and just assume that police officers know them all and comply. Ergo, people see a guy in uniform (Gi + black belt, PJ's + sash, etc.) and they see authority, they see someone they believe they can rely on.

I actually practice a lot of magic card tricks, like David Blaine "Street Magic" crap. When I perform tricks for people, they want to believe it's magic. They know that I'm pulling their chain, and tricking them, but because they want to believe that the deck hasn't been carefully ordered, or that I have double cards, or that I actually pick up only one card, or that I haven't palmed anything. It's RIGHT in front of them, but they still want to believe.
    I agree with what you are saying but I don't think the ignorance vs stupidity is quite so clear. For example in your second paragraph you refer to people wanting to believe, a willful ignorance so to speak which kind of matches 'stupidity = disregard of knowledge'. I think that there are whole strata (cool word, huh?) of ignorance and stupidity with quite a bit of overlap between the two.

But, back to the main topic. I agree that many people want other people to tell them what to do. That releives them of the responsibility of making an informed decision or even owning the results of the endeavor if it fails to live up to their expectations. However with all the bs in popular culture about martial arts even on channels like Discovery how can people with no background in combative sports even begin to make an intelligent choice.

Belly up to the bar, chi balls for everyone!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast