Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 9:04pm

Style: BJJ (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is it a McDojo or simply greed?

I have just gotten back into martial arts at a new school which teaches MMA. I took a two week trial and liked my instruction, at least the standup portion (nobody else had any experience in Bjj or such so no sparring, which I can kinda understand). I rolled with the instructor a couple of times and wasn't really that impressed although there is no denying he is better than me. That is not the problem. The problem came after I signed the contract. I had been going for about 2 months when he began talking to me about belt testing. This wasn't that unusual as I was only a couple months from my blue when I had stopped Jiu-Jitsu (I have the chronic stop again start again syndrome which I am trying to work on) but needed some heavy refreshing as it had been about 2 yrs since. I figured I would work hard and be ready to test.

Anyways, I had looked at the belt ranking system AFTER signing up (big mistake it turns out) and noticed he had about 9 or 10 belts before black. I didn't think much about it as he wasn't teaching BJJ but his own blend. Then he drops two bombs on me. 1. The belt test are $50. 2. No sparring before Orange belt (two up from white). I haven't been back since. That was over a month ago. What do ya'll think?

PS. $110+/month

Sin Dios! Sin amos!

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 9:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Starting Over... Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gr81disp
    I have just gotten back into martial arts at a new school which teaches MMA. I took a two week trial and liked my instruction, at least the standup portion (nobody else had any experience in Bjj or such so no sparring, which I can kinda understand). I rolled with the instructor a couple of times and wasn't really that impressed although there is no denying he is better than me. That is not the problem. The problem came after I signed the contract. I had been going for about 2 months when he began talking to me about belt testing. This wasn't that unusual as I was only a couple months from my blue when I had stopped Jiu-Jitsu (I have the chronic stop again start again syndrome which I am trying to work on) but needed some heavy refreshing as it had been about 2 yrs since. I figured I would work hard and be ready to test.

Anyways, I had looked at the belt ranking system AFTER signing up (big mistake it turns out) and noticed he had about 9 or 10 belts before black. I didn't think much about it as he wasn't teaching BJJ but his own blend. Then he drops two bombs on me. 1. The belt test are $50. 2. No sparring before Orange belt (two up from white). I haven't been back since. That was over a month ago. What do ya'll think?

PS. $110+/month
    whats the + for in $110+ ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 9:13pm

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never heard of a school that graded like that (besides every bullshit martial art outside BJJ of course). It seems very unorthadox.

If you're not impressed by the instructor and it's costing too much for you just look for another school. It's that simple.

How long does it take you to get to Orange?
    Last edited by HearWa; 1/26/2007 9:15pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 10:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like you don't mind the $110/month, but rather the belt fees.

Most "standard" styles have 6 belts before black- white,yellow,orange, green, blue ,brown ,

In commercial dojos, which have bills to pay, the extra belt fees help pay the rent.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. It helps many students see progression between the "real" belts.

The question is: is it really the extra 150 bucks over five years that is causing you the issue or is it something else?

You seemed to like the classes and the instructor enough to sign a contract.

In terms of the sparring, put in your time, get the belt, and move on. If you are that much more advanced than the standard, you should move quickly.

Short story: I had a black belt in karate before moving to Toronto. Couldn't find a school that taught the same style, so I started in a different style. They required me to start at white belt. I had no problem with it, as in their style I was a white belt. However, when I signed up, I had a discussion with the head instructor to indicate that since I already had a background, I would move quicker than the "normal" white belt.

Have a chat with him about the orange belt requirement and why it bothers you. You might find you move to orange quickly because of your background.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 10:43pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wait, so is he making you pay to test for a belt in mma? or just his own "blend" of jiujitsu?
    either way its sounds pretty fishy

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 10:58pm

Style: Uechi Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do what you want to do.... its your money, and life!

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 11:28pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only do 1 belt test and that's black but I used to do belt test and I don't disagree with them or the costs, or the 10 belts before black as long as the black isn't deluted or compromised. Hell they're doing belt tests and stripes all around even in BJJ. Also if you wanted to spar badly enough I'm sure you could've asked so it sounds to me like you're just being a *****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 7:09am

Style: BJJ (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Omega, always the understanding one.

You're right, it isn't the $112.50/month (hence $110+), its the belt fees and isn't that they are that exorbitant, it just seems like it is an unnecessary grab for money. It is more a matter of principle but maybe I should just swallow it for the next 6+ months and train.

Oh, and it is his belt in MMA.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 9:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So... if you go anywhere else, your belts won't be recognised?
    I don't care for chasing belts (unless it opens doors to better training), but if you moved schools and went to a school and told them that you're a whatever belt in some guy's MMA system... I figure you'd have to start again, which could be restrictive if you have to meet a belt requirement to spar. Again.

I'd speak to your instructor, tell him your concerns, and ask him if he'll make allowances for your previous experience.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 12:00pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Omega, always the understanding one.

You're right, it isn't the $112.50/month (hence $110+), its the belt fees and isn't that they are that exorbitant, it just seems like it is an unnecessary grab for money. It is more a matter of principle but maybe I should just swallow it for the next 6+ months and train.

LOL, yeah you could always refuse to test. MMA belt huh? Yeah, that's bullshit in the same way some schools give out belts in kickboxing. I guess you can do it but why fucking bother. People that are really doing it don't care about stinking belts.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast