Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    On Hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yet Another Newbie To Bullshido

Hey guys, I've been lurking off and on for a while, and decided yesterday to become an actual member. I'm a former Kung Fu practitioner and have dabbled in TKD and Yang and Chen Style Tai Chi. I used to be really heavy into "traditional" arts and was dismissive of stuff like western boxing, kickboxing and groundfighting (BJJ, Greco-Roman, Catch, etc). It wasn't until about a year ago that I got my head out of my ass and realized that while a lot of that stuff looked good in movies and flashy katas, it wouldn't cut it in the real world.

I used to be a hardcore Bruce Lee fanatic and took everything he said as gospel; I read "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do" and his self-defense books as well as biographies and any other material I could get my grubby teenage hands on. Bruce Lee was a Kung Fu man and I worshipped Bruce Lee, so I thought "Why not do Kung Fu?" Not only could I be an unstoppable killing machine like Bruce, but I could talk smack about Karate and all those other lame fighting styles and no one would question me. Besides, who would want to question my mighty one-inch punch and lunging side kick...?

During this time, my opinion of MMAers and the like was not very high. I was convinced that traditional martial artists were honorable and just, while MMAers were merely criminals and thugs that enjoyed illegal streetfighting and preying on the weak. I would also watch stuff like UFC and think to myself "why doesn't that guy just elbow/knee/whatever the other guy in the head/groin/whatever and be done with it?" whenever the fight went to the ground. I used to hate Royce Gracie and was an ardent believer in Anti-Grappling. In fact, one of the first things I ever read on this site was the Grappling/Groundfighting FAQ, which basically shattered every argument/excuse I had built up in my head to not learn groundfighting. I also used to be very much against weight training because I thought that it would make me a slow, 'roided up lummox with no agility or speed.

My first experience in kickboxing and grappling was about a year and a half ago, when I went to my university's MMA club out of sheer curiosity. I was impressed with the techniques and training methods, but my brain would still fall back on the old rationalizations I had built up about traditional arts versus these so-called combat sports. I decided to check out the next class so I could make a more accurate "judgment," but unfortunately I developed (through my own stupidity) another hurdle in my acceptance of mixed martial arts: about midway through the second class I assisted a guy with a strong kickboxing background practice various punching and kicking combinations. I had large Muay Thai pads strapped to my forearms, and I would hold them at chest level or stomach level depending on his strikes. Unfortunately, at one instance I held the pads high when I should have held them low, and I was hit full force in the midsection with a rear-leg MT kick. I had the wind completely knocked out of me and couldn't draw breath for about 45 seconds, and as far as I could tell I had a couple of fractured ribs.

This was not a plesant experience.

I never went to the doctor, but it took me a few months before the pain in my ribs completely subsided. By the time I was fully healed up, I was knee deep in classwork and used that (combined with my fear of getting injured again) as an excuse to never go to that club ever again. However, I gradually began reading more and more about MT and various groundfighting styles and started watching televised kickboxing and MMA competitions more frequently. I also started becoming more of an overall skeptic and really began analyzing the effectiveness of stuff like Kung Fu, Aikido, etc. It wasn't until this past summer that I was able to get rid of my remaining romantic notions about traditional arts, and decided that MMA was the way to go. "Heck," I thought, "it might even be fun!"

I went back to my school's MMA club last week, and this time around I really enjoyed myself. I'm going again today, and I hope to make it a regular part of my weekly routine. Hopefully in a few weeks or so I'll be able to post a thorough review of the club. I guarantee it won't be as lengthy as this long-winded introduction.

Now that I think about, that Muay Thai kick to the ribs was probably one of the best things that's ever happened to me...

GhostOfKimura
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the Bullshido Forums kingmiracleman... Make sure you review your dojo and add it to your user control panel so you can get the icon in your user info bar in your posts.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

Style
    karate / bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    welcome to bullshido! i didn't read a damn thing you wrote.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome - Let me be the first to say welcome to the darkside OR welcome to enlightenment...its all a matter of perspective. Glad to hear your days of "monkey stealing the peach" and "chicken wrist strike to the temple FTW!!!" days are behind you.

Have fun training and do your best to be a sponge, you'll enjoy it.

I look forward to reading your dojo review.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was the best intro I have ever read in newcomertown. Welcome to Bullshido! You are off to an excellent start.

Style
    Muay Thai/BJJ/Boxing/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome!!! I was in the same situation, I thought that TMA'S were the only way. Then I started training MMA, and realized that both I and all those who told me otherwise were stupid, and had never probably been in a real fight. Good job on seeing the truth.

Style
    On Hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys, I'll be sure to post that review in the appropriate section whenever I get around to writing it. There are a few more little things I'll add to this thread about my various experiences/impressions/etc., but trying to remember all that stuff really makes my brain hurt.

Some other stuff: my Kung Fu teacher actually did have some experience in MT and grappling and other styles and was actually in really good physical shape and very acrobatic, despite his muscular 6'1" frame. However, he apparently only had very brief experiences with these styles... it was clear to me that traditional Kung Fu (intended for kata demonstrations and point sparring) was his bread and butter. I used to think his grappling was l33t, but in retrospect he only knew a handful of basic submission moves (armbar, triangle choke, rear naked choke, a few more) and was definitely no expert. I can't say I learned any substantial groundfighting in that class as we didn't practice it often, so I feel comfortable describing it as "crappling." We mainly did light pull-your-punches point sparring with a few bits of anti-grappling thrown in. The instructor and his brother were reallly heavy into tricking and Parkour/freerunning, so a lot of our time was spent learning how to do decent butterfly kicks instead of learning how to defend ourselves against a straight punch. They were actually really friendly and were fun to hang around since they were close to my age, but Super Fighting Masters they were not.

I also didn't have a lot of reverence for western boxing at this point in my life. Sometimes I would catch a boxing match on TV while channel surfing and after "studying" them for a few minutes, I would scoff and imagine how my superior Kung Fu skills would no doubt overcome the holes in their punching strategy.

"Hey Mr. Boxer Man, that right cross looks lethal, but how do you think it would fare against this BACKFIST WATAHHHHHHH!"

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kingmiracleman
    Some other stuff: my Kung Fu teacher actually did have some experience in MT and grappling and other styles and was actually in really good physical shape and very acrobatic, despite his muscular 6'1" frame. However, he apparently only had very brief experiences with these styles... it was clear to me that traditional Kung Fu (intended for kata demonstrations and point sparring) was his bread and butter. I used to think his grappling was l33t, but in retrospect he only knew a handful of basic submission moves (armbar, triangle choke, rear naked choke, a few more) and was definitely no expert. I can't say I learned any substantial groundfighting in that class as we didn't practice it often, so I feel comfortable describing it as "crappling." We mainly did light pull-your-punches point sparring with a few bits of anti-grappling thrown in. The instructor and his brother were reallly heavy into tricking and Parkour/freerunning, so a lot of our time was spent learning how to do decent butterfly kicks instead of learning how to defend ourselves against a straight punch. They were actually really friendly and were fun to hang around since they were close to my age, but Super Fighting Masters they were not.
    You will come to realize that the vast majority of the people on this site with a Kung Fu background, always claim that their teachers has trained with BJJ black belts(and sometimes even claim that they kick BJJ BB's asses on regular basis) and basically know everything worth knowing about the different aspects of Martial Arts.

You will also come to realize that this, however, is total BS. It is true that if you overspecialize you breed in weakness, but if you become a jack-of-all-trades, as many Kung Fu teachers tend to be, you often suck even more...IMO.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you remind me of me when i was about 14. welcome to bullshido

Style
    boxing noob, muay thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    you remind me of me when i was about 14. welcome to bullshido
    same lol