Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    none, yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New to Bullshido

Hello,

I just registered after lurking for a few months, and I just want to say thanks. Amid all of the flames, jokes, and insults, the vast majority of Bullshido members have brought both a common-sense approach to MA and, deep down, a respectful discourse*. From reading this forum the scales have fallen from my eyes, and I now waste no more time on the ridiculous claims I used to read in, um... *cough* Kung Fu Magazine~ *cough*

Seriously, though, thanks for the great forum. I do not train right now, and haven't ever really, but I think I'm going to start, and wanted to properly introduce myself before I started asking for opinions and suggestions.

*This is very, very deep down.
    ~Not that I ever believed in teh d34dly...after college.

TKDBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BULL RUSH ON Commodore Pipes!!!

Guess which finger is the fickle one... supporting member
    Style
    Karate/ Arnis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome Commodore,

A couple of things to consider:

1) Don't forget the search function.

2) Order fireproof Gi

3) Venture carefully outside of Newbietown.

Enjoy :tongue3:

Style
    Weight Training
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the forum.

What are you looking for when you start doing martial arts?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Style
    none, yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you, purplelt4; I've lurked here for a few months andf I have a general sense of what is worth posting and what isn't. There seems to be a few consistent requests:

1) If you make an allegation, you better have proof.

2) Let sleeping threads die.

3) Don't be a dumb-ass.

If I follow those guidelines, I think I'll be safe for the most part.

Mr. PizDoff,

As for what I am looking for in MA, being able to defend myself or fight would be nice, but I don't like to fight (meaning get punched in the mouth), I've never looked for a fight in my adult life, and I have no illusions about the efficacy of MA (even MMA) against an armed assailant. So I guess I'm really looking for fun. I wrestled for a year in high school and took a month or two of YMCA BJJ (I think it was BJJ; that's what the instructor called it, anyway, but I didn't check his lineage) and I loved it.

But on the other hand, I have no striking whatsoever. None. I used to fight a lot as a kid, and I think I've only hit someone with a fist once, and I'd like to at least learn the proper body mechanics. At this point I'm not interested in competition, but that might change. It would also depend on my soon-to-be wife. She may not want me to get punched in the face, and both my face and I will honor her wishes if we can.

I'm located in Milwaukee, and it looks like there are two good schools here: Henry Matamoros BJJ and Duke Roufus Kickboxing. I looked them both up on Sherdog: Mr. Matamoros has a better record, but Mr. Roufus is certainly no slouch. Plus, he's closer.

I'll search for them on this site, to see if anyone has done a review of their facilities, and if anyone has trained with them, I'd love to hear your feedback. Incidentally, if this is better suited for another forum, can any one suggest what it might be?

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Commodore Pipes
    Thank you, purplelt4; I've lurked here for a few months andf I have a general sense of what is worth posting and what isn't. There seems to be a few consistent requests:

3) Don't be a dumb-ass.

Mr. PizDoff,

As for what I am looking for in MA, being able to defend myself or fight would be nice, but I don't like to fight (meaning get punched in the mouth), I've never looked for a fight in my adult life, and I have no illusions about the efficacy of MA (even MMA) against an armed assailant. So I guess I'm really looking for fun. I wrestled for a year in high school and took a month or two of YMCA BJJ (I think it was BJJ; that's what the instructor called it, anyway, but I didn't check his lineage) and I loved it.

But on the other hand, I have no striking whatsoever. None. I used to fight a lot as a kid, and I think I've only hit someone with a fist once, and I'd like to at least learn the proper body mechanics. At this point I'm not interested in competition, but that might change. It would also depend on my soon-to-be wife. She may not want me to get punched in the face, and both my face and I will honor her wishes if we can.

I'm located in Milwaukee, and it looks like there are two good schools here: Henry Matamoros BJJ and Duke Roufus Kickboxing. I looked them both up on Sherdog: Mr. Matamoros has a better record, but Mr. Roufus is certainly no slouch. Plus, he's closer.

I'll search for them on this site, to see if anyone has done a review of their facilities, and if anyone has trained with them, I'd love to hear your feedback. Incidentally, if this is better suited for another forum, can any one suggest what it might be?
    Welcome to Bullshido, and may I say, excellent first thread, you really have looked around and done the right thing good on you.

As regards to your local training facilities, check them both out yourself and see what you think, you seem to have a level head and having lurked on here for a while, you no doubt will see some danger signals if there are any.

Short answer, We want to know what these places are like, go check em out and let us know the results, once you've been going to either a while, review your new school(s) officially.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Style
    Student Jutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore Pipes
    I've lurked here for a few months andf I have a general sense of what is worth posting and what isn't. There seems to be a few consistent requests:

3) Don't be a dumb-ass.

I approve of this Noobie.
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Style
    none, yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you, Red Sauce. It looks as though Mr. Matamoros' school has already been reviewed on this site, so I will check out Mr. Roufus and report back in.

Question: The Matamoros review is two years old. Is it considered necromancy/bad etiquette to post a question on a review? After all, it isn't like trolling or coming on to defend a questionable art with no new evidence.

Style
    none, yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you, Iscariot.

Style
    Relson GJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thread necromancy is sometimes seens as better than making a new thread if the topic is talked about over and over again or has been discussed recently. However, if there was only one thread two years ago, starting a new one would not be seen as bad etiquette (in my view anyway). Thread necromancy is often looked down upon because the post that necromances is normally along the lines of, "LOL."

Page 1 of 2 12 Last