Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 3:58am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rw4th
    Your instructor preaches at length about budo and what it means to be a warrior (+2 points)
    Hmm...instructor never mentioned anything close to this but at a club I used to work at, one of the owners was a former Marine. Wow, this guy would not shut up about all this warrior crap. At one point the manager brought in a bouncer who was apprarently very involved with kickboxing, stood about 6'6 and was ripped as hell after having recently finished a stint in Riker's Island. Marine owner proceded to tell him warrior stories of which I remember a gem where the manager who brought the bouncer and the owners had a falling out and they were worried the bouncer would cause trouble. He just wanted to work Marine owner proceeded to explain to him that he understood he (bouncer) was a warrior and in the Colesium days all the gladiators cared about was that you were a warrior and they'd accept you regardless of where you were from and how as a warrior he understood the bouncer was one too and they were cool. Something about a grown man telling another, who he has to look up to address mind you, that they were both warriors that understood eachother made the eyes roll to the back of my head.

How that bouncer kept from laughing I could never uderstand but then I never asked him about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 4:54am

Style: No time for training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got 8 points.

Haven't even given the grading system any reflection, but there is never any sparring with gear on grading, hence only light contact, which is obviously bullshit and I won't even try to defend it because I think TKD grades are handed out too easily anyway. Sucks... On the upside, we spar reasonably often and with medium to hard contact.

Too many techniques in the patterns that can never be used for anything close to fighting. Also sucks... Patterns aren't related much to fighting skill. Although I can enjoy doing patterns I still think they receive too much focus. You don't get better at fighting by doing them, and I can't imagine anyone convincing me otherwise. Maybe you get better at kicking and punching by doing patterns than doing nothing, but you know what would make you even better at kicking and punching? KICKING AND PUNCHING ON THINGS! This thread is like therapy to me, thanks. :)

But then again, I'm in the ITF cult, where historical revisionism and self-deception seem to be the way to get "power"... So I pretty much discard all the "philosophical" bullshit and focus on the actual sport. If it wasn't for our club being more sparring focused than most other ITF clubs I would quit it completely. (Any other martial art of interest is too far away from where I live. No Muay Thai, Kyokushin or MMA around these parts.)

Well, at least we don't have kid black belts.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 6:50am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the conditioning not being a factor being added it. Though I would like to keep the points within reasonable numbers, to prevent unnecessary schools from gaining too many points and beeing deemed bullshido. For example I think every BJJ school tells people that size and strength don't matter in Jiu-Jitsu in one degree or another. I also don't want things like "your school teaches _ing _un +50pts" because that will take away from a new users objective viewing of the poll and they won't take it seriously. Rather have their chun school get 20+ points on its own merits :)

And yes Cormoron this is a serious thread. You may neg rep me now and hump MJS's leg ;)
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 8:13am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Does the school teach a style which isn't used in MMA? (+10 points)

Is the tern "Ninja" ever used by the instructor? (+16 points)

Quote Originally Posted by My Instructor
    The Bujinkan claim Togakure Ryu is a Ninja Art.
    :( + 16 points
    Last edited by Plasma; 1/26/2007 8:16am at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 8:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :) 1 point. I win.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 8:25am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got 0 - Roger Gracie's FTW!
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 8:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SCORING:
    0-2 Your school is an awesome place to train. Good find!
    3-5 Some fishy stuff, but still sounds pretty good.
    6-10 There's a few red flags here, but perhaps you or they can explain themselves.
    11-15 I'm not liking your explanation
    16+ Your school is undoubtedly a bullshido ridden mess. Get out while you still can! Don't drink the Kool-Aid![/QUOTE]

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 8:34am

Style: not training/injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Should the no-touch knock out be an automatic failure?
    I'd like to see no-touch knock out sparring, should be good for a laugh.

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 8:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The test is schewed though, if you are posting on Bullshido.net for any length of time, you will be scorring < 2 points. I'd more curious to see this test on MAP.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 9:19am

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I scored a three. I occassionally hear how UFC isn't like real fighting and some of the instructors use the term "anti-grapple," though it is really is more like a sprawl.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast