I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 7:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Small Inner reap

In Goju-jitsu we do a modified version of the small inner reap in which you hook the leg and shoot into the person as you drop to the ground, so that you take them down with out risking a nut shot as much as you would in the classical judo version.

For those of the who know this throw Karo's taken people down this way in a few of his fights I have seen> I assume because the hooking forward shoot motion compensates fo the lack of a gi.

Hers's the thing

It's a good throw and high percentage but you stand a very good chance of ending up on top in half gaurd.

In MMA where you can punch and elbow that's not so bad.

My question however is in sub grappling have people found this to be a usefull or is ending up in half guard on top to much of a pain.

Obviously a lot depends on you and your opponents half gaurd game.

But in general terms have people found this take down usefull?

As always Mods do with this thread as you wish

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 7:54pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For various types of reap, I try to skip round the legs as I land on the guy, ending up in side control or another hold. If you're very spritely, you can pull it off.

You can also 'fake' going for one side of the legs, then skip to the other side when he tries to defend/put you in guard.

Edit: sorry this response is specific to Judo or BJJ

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 8:20pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seem some of the guys at my BJJ class doing ouchi gari and quickly (or almost instantaneously) falling on mount. One of the instructors swear by it as a way to deal with people with a pure wrestling background, specially in no-gi.

I go for it everytime we start rolling from standup. If and when I get it, I inevitably fall for a half-guard. Since I'm quite green on this, I cannot really worry if my partner has a good half-guard game (and it gives me further motivation to try to get out of his half-guard). At best, I find it a good tool to keep them on their toes (and hopefully open for a throw), or at the very least keeping them from throwing me with force... I rather have them pull guard on me (or having us both fall) than getting thrown decisively.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 4:43am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't tried it without the gi quite yet but here's my findings with the gi if that helps at all:
    Ko-uchi gari is high percentage that if you keep swinging them towards the side that you're sweeping and kind of skip your leg out once you have the throw it goes right into side control.

O-uchi gari is a little tougher IMO and like Macho said you'd have to leap onto the mount as you both went down.

[Edit- Changing Ko and O names]

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 8:41am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The version I am talking about doesn't really allow for you to easily pull your leg out. You're more dropping the reaping leg top the ground and traping the guys leg and instead of "reaping" backwards the forward motion and thrust of hips and boday against knee and thigh with the foot trapped knocks the guy over.

Frankly this could be a different technique with a different Japenes name but I don't know it as that and can't find anything judoinfo.com on this version.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 10:08am

Style: Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's been a few months since I've been to Judo, but are talking about ko uchi gake?

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 10:41am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds more like kouchi makikomi. Where you kind of roll to take the guy down? But as runningdog said if you practice passing the legs as you are going down you will find a way out of the guard. Just those dam BJJers go to thier backs faster than a hooker on Friday night. Its just tough and takes some work to incorporate good throws into your stuff. Then you have to be able to do it without a gi just to make it harder.

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 10:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goju, in the inner reap you are referring to, are you reaping the opponent's left or right leg ? (assuming you have a right-handed stance, right hand grabbing his left lapel and left hand grabbing his right sleeve).

JudoChop, that's a nice diagram. It's easier to hop and avoid the opponent's half guard with kouchi gake... I think.

Just so that we get our bearings, just in case throws are named slighlty differently between Judo and Goju (I'm ignorant about Goju thus I want to cover that possibility of differences in nomenclature.)

bread and butter ouchi gari

kouchi gari

kouchi gake

kosoto gake

kosoto gari

Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 10:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh, and without derailing from the original topic, aren't kouchi gake and kouchi makikomi the same throw? Or are there subtle differences in their execution.

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 12:01pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Goju, in the inner reap you are referring to, are you reaping the opponent's left or right leg ? (assuming you have a right-handed stance, right hand grabbing his left lapel and left hand grabbing his right sleeve).

JudoChop, that's a nice diagram. It's easier to hop and avoid the opponent's half guard with kouchi gake... I think.

Just so that we get our bearings, just in case throws are named slighlty differently between Judo and Goju (I'm ignorant about Goju thus I want to cover that possibility of differences in nomenclature.)

bread and butter ouchi gari

kouchi gari

kouchi gake

kosoto gake

kosoto gari

Ok it's more Kouchi gake with the diference that you're hooking the leg like in kosoto gake
    but from the inside droping down so it's more around the ankle.

It's less dependant on the grab and more on the forward momentum and how it locks out the leg at the ankle and puts preasure on the knee and hip.

It's very interresting the way he does it beacuse he can then follow on the ground by locking up his leg in a triangle right under the knee and if he leans back and puts his weight down on it, it becomes a triangle lock and tap on the knee. The key geting it in at the right spot and doing it before the person knows whats going on.

I can't do it :( (yet)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast