Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    Luta Livre, Sambo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Nooby Doobie Doo

Hi all, I've been lurking around for a while, and I thought that it was about time I threw myself into the fray and introduce myself.

My martial arts background includes Kung fu, Judo, and Thai Boxing. Currently I've been training about 6 hours a day, which means getting up at 4am since I have a job, and use the small amount of free time reading just about everything here on Bullshido.

BJJbot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, SongPower. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood supporting member
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome!

What style of Kung Fu do are you studying?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    6 hours a day? Pro fighters train that much. I assume it is more than a hobby for you but then again your style lists Kung Fu so I'm confused. Could you elaborate on that a bit.

Welcome to Bullshido.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome. Good thread title.

Here's looking at you, squid. Join us... or die
    Style
    Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the board - I'm diggin' the thread title.
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Style
    Luta Livre, Sambo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A few years back I studied Tien Shan Pai in Maryland, about 6 years on and off because of my frequent trips to China. At first I had a really good teacher who was really into practical application and fighting, he was the anal type and was really tough on students, tooke me three years to get to blue sash under him. But his student numbers kept dwindling because he was a little too strict. It got to the point where there were only five of us left and then he stopped teaching because he just wasn't earning enough money, which I totally understand. I then went to his teachers school, Grandmaster Huang, and was so upset about the level of the instructors (I, as a blue blet mind you, was better at the forms than most a few of his black sash instructors, and the few that were better than me, with the exception of one, weren't really that much better) and all the secrecy bullshit he uses to extract more money from you, that I eventually gave it up altogether.

Fast forward to today, I came to China to work last May (I have been in China a total of three years on and off because I was here learning Chinese) and was looking around for a decent martial arts teacher, you'd be surprised how much harder it was for me to find a teacher here than it was in America. It took three months of searching everywhere
    and I found a guy whos name I had come across when asking various people about a good martial artist in town, called Wu Wei Shu. I had met a few teachers before that point, all not quite the level of teachers I was looking for, and they all refered me to him saying he was one of the best in the provinvce. Then I found him randomly one day, there is a huge lake in the center of the city and he practicies there in the morning. He's about 64, and still moves like he is 20, and there were first person accounts from some of the other martial artists atound the area about him kicking some ass even at his advanced age. I am learning Xing Yi from him along with some random forms that he thought I would be interested in learning. He has been training since he was 6 years old so he knows alot, and is always willing to teach me if I want to learn, no belts, no tests, just pracitce.

Style
    Luta Livre, Sambo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am actually interested in competing, which is why I am training so much. I don't have a date set for entering the ring yet so I'm just training as hard as I can now to get in shape and already be prepared when I do find a tournament of some sort. Currently I'm practicing kung fu in the morning about 4 hours before work, and then hit they gym after work (4x a week), and then to my thai boxing or Judo class at night, I alternate those two: Thai Boxing Monday, Wednesday Friday, and Judo Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. I work about 30 hours a week, and that leaves me with a few hours of free time a day, and about 6 or 7 hours of sleep a night. I am a little worried about over-training, but it hasn't seemed to have happened yet.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SongPower
    I am actually interested in competing, which is why I am training so much. I don't have a date set for entering the ring yet so I'm just training as hard as I can now to get in shape and already be prepared when I do find a tournament of some sort. Currently I'm practicing kung fu in the morning about 4 hours before work, and then hit they gym after work (4x a week), and then to my thai boxing or Judo class at night, I alternate those two: Thai Boxing Monday, Wednesday Friday, and Judo Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. I work about 30 hours a week, and that leaves me with a few hours of free time a day, and about 6 or 7 hours of sleep a night. I am a little worried about over-training, but it hasn't seemed to have happened yet.
    Wow, that is A LOT of training. So, with the exception of Sundays, your typical day is this:

4am - 8am: Get-up go workout with Wu Wei Shu
    8am - 9am: Get home and get ready for work
    9am - 3pm: Work
    3pm - 4pm: Go home and grab gear for Muay Thai or Judo
    5pm - 6 or 7pm: Train Judo or Muay Thai
    7pm - 9pm: ****, shower, grab a bite to eat
    9pm - 10pm: Watch American Idol
    10pm - 4am: Sleep

Better you than me.

Style
    Luta Livre, Sambo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha yeah, that is pretty much the break down of my day, though I try to **** at work, and take food and the gear, and a change of clothes for work, with me wherever I go. That way I can go directly to work from practice in the morning, not to mention have more time for american idol.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last