Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 2:37pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Balance training

Has anybody seen the way Frank Shamrock trains on an exercise ball?? He states that it is the greatest balance exercise system and will make you a more dominant fighter in ground situations where you are trying to stay on top. Has anyone else tried this or have any further insight??
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 2:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Swissball training is great, but not the end all. It incorporates important stabilizing musculature and promotes intermuscular coordination. Additionally if you are an athlete training on unstable surfaces ie.. fireman or hockey player it is a must to strengthen the equilibrium reflex. Use the swissball but dont overdue it. Make heavy compound movements the staple of your resistance training and incorporate other things like swissballs as supplementary exercises.

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 2:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't mean sit-ups on a swissball or the likes. I was watching the Gracie vs Shamrock prefight hype and they showed Frank actually balancing on a ball. From sitting on it to laying on his back on it then rolling over to his stomach and all around. While trying to avoid contact with the ground as much as possible. it was actually quite impressive to watch. I'd eat royal **** if I tried it and probably chip a tooth.

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 3:47pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tabwyo
    Has anybody seen the way Frank Shamrock trains on an exercise ball?? He states that it is the greatest balance exercise system and will make you a more dominant fighter in ground situations where you are trying to stay on top. Has anyone else tried this or have any further insight??
    Gymnastics style exercises will help you learn/build superior balance and body coordination (and strength) as well.

Another good Swiss Ball exercise is having a student stand on one while you throw wrenches at them.

"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a punch!" :)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 1:22pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done this swiss ball thing before. I tried it after watching the same warm up routine. It comes from a pretty popular mma excerise where you sprawl then pull one foot up under you then push it out in front of you, then switch. It is a great excerisise for balance and gets your body used to stabalizing you in a sprawl/shoot defense type of situation. IT's a little wierd on the swiss ball, great for balance but not as good for excersise. Kinda makes you feel like a wanna be breakdancer.

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 1:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll try anything reasonable......................

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 2:30pm

Style: CQC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most things done on a swiss ball involves some form of core useage. Basically it bogs down to your body learning how to use its core to its full potential. While it isn't necessarily the be all and end all of training certainly that type of thing will benefit you quite a bit.