Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 4:25pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mackie Shilstone's Performance Fuel Guide

Link to PDF

Mackie Shilstone, trainer and nutritionist for Michael Spinks, Roy Jones Jr, Bernard Hopkins and others has a free 10 page booklet on what he calls "performance fuel".

This handy guide tells you what to eat and drink, and when, for performance atheletes.

Excerpt:
    MAXIMIZE YOUR PERFORMANCE
    The Science of Sports Nutrition deals with the link between food
    and physical performance. A well-balanced diet helps you perform
    better, and regular exercise improves the bodyís ability to utilize the
    nutrients from food.
    Athletes who train intensely on a daily basis, benefit by knowing
    the best food sources and the most appropriate times for consumption.
    Recent research suggests that consumption of foods
    with the appropriate glycemic index before, during and after exercise
    improves performance. Donít forget water for good athletic
    performance. Fluid intake is critical before, during and after a
    workout or event.
    The Performance Fuel Guide will teach you which foods are
    best for building lean body mass without additional fat, in conjunction
    with proper training.

I'm just starting back to sparring, after 8 months of surgery/rehab, I think I'll try this out. If it works out, I'll go get his new book and see what that is all about.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 8:52am

Style: MT Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent find... Going to do my best to give it a go

Keep us updated on how it's working out for you.

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 1:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wado-Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the post

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 10:55am

Style: MT Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by isol8d
    I'm just starting back to sparring, after 8 months of surgery/rehab, I think I'll try this out. .

Have you started on this?

I'd be intere=sted in you updating me on how it's working out for you.

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 1:52am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by emboesso
    Mackie Shilstone, I haven't heard that name in 20 years. His innovative training (at the time anyway) was largely responsible for Michael Spinks becoming the first light heavyweight champion to ever capture the heavyweight championship as well.

In 1985 he handled Spinks beautifully preparing him for Larry Holmes. At the end of each round Spinks returned to his corner looking like he was about to die. One minute later he was back on his feet for the next round completely refreshed. How?

As Shilstone was carefully helping Spinks bulk up another 25 lbs, he had him training in three minute "sprints" with one minute recovery times. Not just sparring, but also the running, the weight lifting, etc. Everything was done "all out" for three minutes, and resumed one minute later. Simple, but brilliant.

As late as 1985, weight-lifting was frowned upon by traditional trainers. When word got out that Spinks was lifting it just drove the odds against up even further. Conventional wisdom was that he was doomed.

Of course it helped that Holmes' aging right hand was inert during that first fight, and IMO Holmes was the clear winner of the rematch. Still, Spinks was on his feet for 30 rounds against Holmes, something almost nobody thought was possible.
    All following Quotes are taken from the thread "Kickboxing Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Jackson
    Take a whole bunch of exercises. Med ball slams, BW stuff, sandbag stuff, water balls, kegs, www.rosstraining.com stuff. Test your maxes in a bunch of lifts. Preferably power lifts like power cleans and snatches. Half that. Each total rep count(half your max) counts for 1 point.

10 minutes to warm up, 10-30 minutes to rack up as many points as you can. You can even break it down into rounds, like 5X3 minutes with a minute rest in between, trying to up the point total in each round. The unstable objects will help your clinch, and guarantee you can call on your strength in any situation. The full body power lifts will help you be explosive up to the final rounds, while maintaining technique. The program also lets you know that your in better overall shape each workout, as long as you increase your points.

Do this Monday, Wednesday and Friday, after your skill work, then do tabata intervals the other days, and rest Sunday. Take a week off before the fight. You can alternate tabata power punching, power kicking, speed punching, and speed kicking, and work your clinch moves instead of resting.
    Adding more points per workout encourages going "all out", and I immediately reinforce doing it after skill work, and doing the workout specifically to the sport in question.

20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest, 4 minutes. Work:Total Sprint. All you've got.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46324
    "All out", a discriptor used for the way the people in the Tabata studies trained. They were puking after 4 minutes.

**** man, train LIKE you fight. What's the basics of training for a sport? Here's an excerpt from my PDF article I'm making? Think people don't train this way? Search Youtube for your favorite professional fighter(especially if it's Snowman) and see for yourself.

There should be no training "muscles". There should only be "Performance Training", training specificity towards your goal, sport or hobby in question. Ask yourself how much your training looks and feels like your sport. Ask yourself again every time you workout. When you drift too far away, just come back to the basics. You know what they are:

Doing your sport w/weight, doing your sport under band tension(hooked to whatever angle you wish to strengthen), as fast as possible, slowly, concentrating on form and technique, etc.

Seperating the movements that occur during your sport into seperate exercises and performing them w/weight, under band tension from different angles, repeatedly, as fast as possible, slowly, concentrating on form and technique, etc.

Doing basic exercises that mimic everyday actions w/weight, under band tension from different angles, repeatedly, as fast as possible, slowly, concentrating on form and technique, etc.

Doing prehabilitation(injury prevention) exercises for freak occurances in the sport and aiding in everyday life w/weight, under band tension from different angles, repeatedly, as fast as possible, slowly, concentrating on form and technique, etc.

Strengthening body reaction muscles that directly aid your sport w/weight, under band tension from different angles, repeatedly, as fast as possible, slowly, concentrating on form and technique, etc.

And plain old doing your sport, concentrating and really doing it, not going through the motions, digging deep and going as hard as you can. Paying attention and listening to every word from those who know more than you about it, taking lessons, and always asking for help on something that you know not about. Don't stray too far from the basics, and always look at your workout and see if it runs like your sport. Does it go as fast? Are the movements the same, or close? Let's hope you know the difference.
    A sincere love for sports specificity, redefined.

Simply put, there is no "phase" to go through to gain enough muscle for your sport. You train for your sport. Yes, punching with dumbells or wrist weights is generally retarded, because you'll develop muscle patterns that hold the weight up and resist the new gravitational pull formed downward and cause an overcorrection when the time comes to punch an opponent without weight.

The weight I speak of is supplied by bands or a weight vest. Grapple with your own self made grappling dummy with a weight vest on, and it'll simulate how heavy you feel when the going gets tough. Nothing has changed except your perceived bodyweight. Result? Speed and specific strength.
    With doing the sport being at the center of the process, we can only hope for (speedy) improvement.

Take a glance at Ross's training. www.rosstraining.com

Yeah, he never holds a water ball in a fight, but he does in his training. He's training specificity, it helps his clinch. The man always trains specificity. If your a grappler you need to do more odd object lifting and put down the bars and stop focusing on weight. You'll get stronger, trust me, and it'll be specific. Even if you clinch, the odd lifting will help. Drop the bells, pick up the kegs, sandbags, clubbells and kettlebells.
    It starts on the ground, and goes to one shoulder, chest, hip or overhead, but like all objects, it starts on the ground. If you want to get started indoors and you've got a bigger size wallet I'd start here www.sandbagstrength.com and http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/budget.html

Good luck, and always train how you fight.

BTW, I just want to clarify, I have virtually no striking instruction, so my at least with my striking game, I can't fight my way out of a wet paper bag, so who wants to grapple with me?
    Redefining specificity=Ross Enemait.

You can do your workout just like the bagwork. Just like the fight. 5X3 minute rounds, with X number of reps in X exercises counting as points. Focus on full body movements and odd objects to help your clinch. Burpees, snatches and power cleans w/sandbag or keg, band work, pullups, dips, clap pushups, med ball slams, that kind of thing. Finish your session w/a carry to help that clinch. Ask yourself how much your training looks like how you fight.
    Suddenly, it is reveiled that I'm a genious. All you have to say is thank you, and I'll be on my way.

Because I know how to train, dipshit. That's the kinda info you get by hanging around Ross's site and signing up for teleseminar calls with peeps like Joe Vitale, Jason C. Brown, Josh Henkins, and Zach Evan-Esh. Just because I'm part of the Underground and your not doesn't mean you gotta dis.

Edit: And plus conditioning is conditioning. It's easy to go from normal conditioning knowledge to that of sport specifics. Especially if you follow Ross.
    Having striking instuction tell you nothing about how to train. Just look at an old boxer's playbook and see how they trained. All of the greats thought you punched with your arms, and did billions of fucking curls, even though they were taught that a punch begins with the feet, and a quick twist. It's fucking bullshit. If you don't believe a word Ross says your the biggest idiot in the world. And if you ignore my posts, you'll be ignoring awesomeness, and quick victory.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 11:21am

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffman
    Have you started on this?

I'd be intere=sted in you updating me on how it's working out for you.
    I started, then life got in the way. I'm back at it again, we'll see how it progresses over the next two weeks.