Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 6:33pm

Style: BJJ (blue), Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meinmachine View Post
    I once thought that the big fat Kenpo slob "masters" could really fight because they had "mastered" all of the techniques, their extensions, Kata's and sets. I thought since they could elucidate on the paradigm shifting matrix of linear movement and the rebounding energy concepts taught by Master Ed Parker they must really know what they were talking about. Turns out, not so much.
    Same here. I thought that since they could explain everything you were doing in all of those bullshit "defensive maneuvers" where one person punches in and then stands still, that they could actually do all that **** if actually attacked. I later thought that since my kenpo instructors weren't insanely fat and bald, that what I was doing was less bullshit than everyone else. I also still hold the (probably stupid) belief that SOME of the sparring was good and I actually learned something, despite the bad habits I formed, because we sparred hard (still not full contact though).

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 11:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ARMA, Limalama, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to think that the really high-ranked blackbelts had to register their hands as deadly weapons. I also thought "Ling Kong Jing" was legit. Thank God that was a very fleeting phase of my life. :P

EDIT: I forgot to add that I once thought that everything about Japanese swordsmanship, including the swords, were superior to any other MA on the planet. (Except for maybe some Chinese MAs)

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 11:26pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to believe that Aikido had a 'ground game'.
    (necro posting is ok in this forum, right?)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 10:08am

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1.) That western boxing was useless because you didn't get to kick people.

2.) That WTF TKD was great for self defense.

3.) That krotty had nothing worthwhile in its curriculum (true to a certain extent if you learned from a McDojo).

4.) That judo was useless in a fight.

5.) That grappling in general was useless in a fight.

6.) That spinning back kicks were very useful in fights

7.) That you could successfully defend yourself against knife, stick and gun attacks empty handed if you were l33t enough.

8.) That western fencing was useless in a modern day setting.

9.) That _ing _hun was useful because Yip Man and Bruce Lee practiced it.

10.) That people who wore TapouT gear represented the highest level of MMA skills (I'm sorry, I really am.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 12:37pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1.) That wristlock throws work against someone of your same skill level.

2.) That groundfighting was simple and ineffective against a competent fighter.

3.) That grappling wasn't a good idea in a real fight, because it often leaves you vulnerable to d34dly techniques (elbow to the back of the head, larynx crushes, neck breaks, etc.)

4.) That all TKD kicks were practical and effective against all kickers and strikers.

5.) That Steven Seagall had dignity and/or skill in martial arts.

6.) That aikido's suwariwaza was an effective groundfighting strategy

7.) That internal martial arts offered a more skillful method of fighting than "hard style".

8.) That I couldn't be tapped out by someone 70 lbs lighter than me and a foot shorter.

9.) Ninjas exist, and they will **** your **** up if you doubt their abilities.

10.) Magic pants are worth the 6-10 years of continuous uninterrupted LARPing.

11.) That Aikido's sword techniques represented "how a samurai used his sword"

12.) That you didn't have to be in good shape to be good at martial arts.

13.) That O'Sensei dodged bullets (sorry about this one, couldn't tell you now what was going through my head)

14.) That Qigong could make me invincible, or nearly enough to be able to fight crime and break open a bank vault with my bare hands (only mostly kidding here)

15.) That people who did "competition" martial arts didn't understand the realism of a real fight, and that they needed to learn teh d34d1y in order to even remotely competently defend themselves against the weakest of attackers. (This one was choked out of me last night.)

16.) That Aikido actually addressed the problem of multiple attackers, rather than running away.

I could go on and on, but I'm sure it's all been said already.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 2:19pm

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokikai90 View Post
    10.) Magic pants are worth the 6-10 years of continuous uninterrupted LARPing.
    But...but...Magic Pants man. Come on. I'd LARP the **** out of any martial art if they gave me a pair of cool looking parachute pants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 7:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to believe that streets of rage 2 on the megadrive/genesis was effectively a sim.

I used to believe that judo was just about throwing people and was therefore easy, **** and boring.

I used to regret not having stuck with my crappy, rainbow fest of a TKD McDojang, when I was a nipper... because if I had then I would - at the time of wistful reminiscence - been an almighty, fighting god of unparallelled proportions.

Child blackbelt = stone killer/bully proof/fanny magnet (the king of ****, to our American friends).

I believed that martial arts were cool and would impress girls if they found out I trained.

ninjas.

shaolin monks.

fireballs.

levitation.

Nuff said.
    Last edited by southstarfist; 5/12/2011 7:08pm at . Reason: spellingz

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 7:40pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Size doesn't matter" was the biggest phallacy I've had to come to terms with over the years.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 5:37am

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    haha, he said phallusy

Posted On:
    5/15/2011 1:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to think everything my instructors said was true.
    I used to think that I did not need to know any grappling because I had been taught so well I would never be taken to the ground ( boy did I find out different)
    I used to think that wrist locks worked every time I want to apply them
    I used to think I could apply an effective arm lock on anyone at any time
    I used to think I would never get cut with a bladed weapon because I knew all the defenses against such attacks or so my first instructor told me