Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 9:33pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    Everyone did my friend, everyone

Only if you were a kid at any time before the late 80's when they actually tried to make it look like a legit sport. It got so over the top by the 90's, I don't see how anyone could believe it was real.

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 9:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

i used to think...

that old ass martial arts masters were extremely deadly !!!!!!!! lol@aikedo!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 10:43pm

Style: Boxing, MMA/MT/BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    If you go back far enough, to like when I was ten, I used to believe pro-wrestling was real.
    When the Undertaker first started wrestling in WWF I though that he was actually killing people when he used his tombstone finishing move, put them in a body bag, and carried them away. It kinda traumatized me as a kid.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 10:50pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Considering the number of accidental injuries from that stupid move in pro wrestling and the number of dumbass backyard wrestling idiots that have broken skulls/necks/etc... Pro Wrestling is "real" in that it is freakin difficult to do and if you screw up you can get hurt REALLY bad. The fighting isn't the real part, but it's hard to fake a backflip off of a 12 foot ladder onto a table... I still like watching pro wrestling when they are throwing themselves around like that. Very athletic and impressive. Just nothing whatsoever to do with fighting.

Kintanon

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 10:52pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to think that boxing was just a contest to see who could hit harder/take more hits, and that it was just two big, tough lummoxes thrown in the ring. I thought boxing had no technqiue to speak of, or training - just two big guys standing toe-to-toe whaling on each other.

I also remember seeing a big heavy bag in someone's basement as a child and figuring that I'd be pretty bad-ass if I hit it, since I watched so much ninja turtles and stuff (I really did think I was a pretty awesome fighter because of this) and expected the bag to go flying and buckle when I threw a really, really bad "cross" at it I didn't know **** about boxing at this point) and was shocked and awed when the bag didn't move at all and my wrist buckled and hurt like hell (I probably weighed around 110 pounds). This was actually a pretty useful experience because it made me realize how weak i really was, and the strength that a person would need to work out with such a bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    Considering the number of accidental injuries from that stupid move in pro wrestling and the number of dumbass backyard wrestling idiots that have broken skulls/necks/etc... Pro Wrestling is "real" in that it is freakin difficult to do and if you screw up you can get hurt REALLY bad. The fighting isn't the real part, but it's hard to fake a backflip off of a 12 foot ladder onto a table... I still like watching pro wrestling when they are throwing themselves around like that. Very athletic and impressive. Just nothing whatsoever to do with fighting.
    This is basically how I feel, though I don't watch it. Pro Wrestling may be fake, but it's a skilled trade and I have great respect for the "abilities" of the actors.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 10:53pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God damn, Virus already said most of mine.

Extra points for this one:

You can train anything with aliveness will make it work.
    I used to believe that training the “soft” side of martial arts (chi and all that ****) would allow a 60 year “master” to beat down anybody.

I used to watch “Kung-Fu” and think all that **** was real.

I used to watch Ninja movies, and even though it was over the top, deep down I believed that somewhere there was someone who could really do that stuff.

I used to believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 10:53pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I trained –ing –un with aliveness it would not only work, but it would be super effective because people weren’t used to its tactics and techniques. I just had to find the rEa1

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 11:04pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to think that the Bujinkan was a Japanese martial art, instead of a old guy cosplay convention.

I also used to think that modern arts had all of the utility removed and the more ancient the lineage, the more effective the art.

Also, that ancient Japanese warriors were vastly superior to ancient Roman or Greek soldiers.

I look back and think of all the time I wasted being a mild Japanophile when I could have been wrestling instead.
    Last edited by MONGO; 1/24/2007 11:06pm at .

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 11:11pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Ukemi
    Only if you were a kid at any time before the late 80's when they actually tried to make it look like a legit sport. It got so over the top by the 90's, I don't see how anyone could believe it was real.
    Just a year back there were kids arguing about how real it was at my school. The majority seemed to realize it was fake, but there were people who legitimately thought wrestlers stomped on the ground at the same time they punched not to mask the fact that they weren't connecting, but to "generate more power."

Now they argue about "ultimate fighting" and such.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 11:24pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGO
    I look back and think of all the time I wasted being a mild Japanophile when I could have been wrestling instead.
    I think this sums it up for most of us.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.
Page 6 of 101 FirstFirst ... 23456 789101656 ... LastLast